Turn on thread page Beta

Big Ron quits! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Why?
    *******! Oh well. Basically I think the term was used more in the context of "I really hate that guy at the moment so I'm going to say something that would be really offensive to him" rather than one with any real racial emphasis. I also think that given his era and background the term would come more naturally to him than most of us. I therefore do not consider him to be a racist just someone slightly loose with his words. However, even if he was racist I do not see this as a fair reason for him to lose his job. He has a record of saying stupid things, but by no means of being racist, thus I think it can safely be said that he keeps his views to himself, thus not hurting anyone and not affecting his work, and even on this occasion it was meant to be said in private and what happened was very unfortunate on his part. If he has enough awareness and respect for other people, he shouldn't be punished because his thoughts are questionable and going to offend others. It's not his fault.

I personally take the view that he isn't racist and it wasn't meant in a racist way. I just saw an interview with him on ITV and this was basically what he was trying to say. However, not being great with words, the best he could manage was "In my book it wasn't racist", which I think was actually supposed to come across in the way I've mentioned, but inevitably came across as "****** isn't a racist term". He then just got ripped apart from the interview who retorted: "If you don't think that's racist then you are a racist". I don't think this is fair and Big Ron was visably distraught at the fact that no matter how hard he tried he just could not clear his name. It wouldn't surprise me if as soon as the cameras stopped rolling he broke down.

On the other hand I see that he didn't really have any choice to resign. If he hadn't then ITV wouldn't have had any choice but to sack him, due to the inevitable backlash from equality groups that they would have experienced, which would have made him look even worse. This does not however make it fair that he had to resign and I feel quite sorry that things in the world are such that he did.

ReputationRep:
    Well there's no need for a spur-of-the-moment rant to include the term "******", "****" might have done. Plus I thought "******" would be rather modern for Ron, he might've rather used one of them old-fashioned terms like "spear-thrower"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Well there's no need for a spur-of-the-moment rant to include the term "******", "****" might have done. Plus I thought "******" would be rather modern for Ron, he might've rather used one of them old-fashioned terms like "spear-thrower"...
    No, there's no "need", but the very fact that it was "spur-of-the-moment" does suggest that he wasn't really thinking his words through. And as I said, it's quite possible that he was so angry that the most offensive word in his vocabularly was the one that came to his mind. Just because he was trying to be intentionally offensive does not mean he is racist. In school, down the park, etc, you hear people in fights all the time using racist terms just to offend and provoke, whether they be racist or not. Desailly may have not been there for Ron to **** off, but the thought process would be the same.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how Robbie Earle has reacted to Ron's comments.

ReputationRep:
    yeppy!!! Ron has gone!

i thowt he wasnt a good pundit at all. he pointed out too much of the obvious and tried to be funny but failed badly!

i think Earle is actually a pretty good pundit and makes some good comments which arent too obvious tothe average fan. same with andy gray (but he has gone a bit off the plot lately! lol)

imo the best pundits are: Alan Hanson, Martin O'Neil, Ian Wright, Pete Scheimichel, Alan Smith, Mark Lawerance(?). coz dey all make the best comments.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.