Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    has ne1 here received special consideration for exams? what happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auser)
    one of my friends did because she had an operation a week before and was still recovering. i think it just lets the examiner know you've been having difficulties and asks them to be lenient with the marking of your work.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i did... i used to get 25% extra writing time in my exams and they sent letters to the exam board as well, which i think shifted my grades upwards considerably. its a bit of hassle getting it organised, but worth it if you need it. apply early if you need extra time as well, in case the exam board need additional proof sending or anything. a few letters from consultants sufficed for me. a simple G.Ps letter on its own can get you extra time, but will make no difference for special consideration by the exam board. depends what you need it for really.

ReputationRep:
    I did for numerous reasons, dyslexia, hearing loss and co-ordination problems (although the later is not the reason for the extra time). I only had extra time during GCSE, I didn't at A level because I was the best in the class anyway. I also don't have it at univeristy there is no need.

ReputationRep:
    my friend is suffering bereavement pretty badly and no1 at school knows

i can see her going downhill and think something should be done, she has her A2s soon

what do u think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auser)
    my friend is suffering bereavement pretty badly and no1 at school knows

i can see her going downhill and think something should be done

what do u think?
    talk to her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    talk to her
    she doesnt think theres ne point and I cant convince her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auser)
    she doesnt think theres ne point and I cant convince her
    well dont tell the school, tell her parents to tell the school. everyones happy and dandy. just call me ]{ing... erm... nik

ReputationRep:
    well dont tell the school, tell her parents to tell the school. everyones happy and dandy. just call me ]{ing... erm... nik
    i guess

it would be weird talking 2 her parents

what u think the school will do about this then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auser)
    i guess

it would be weird talking 2 her parents

what u think the school will do about this then?
    if her parents spoke to the school and put forward a request the school would consider it and maybe extend any coursework deadlines (bit late) or something, i duno, ask fifi53

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auser)
    Latin and R.E. GCSE's.

We were witness to one of our school buses nearly getting smushed by a train. They were veryyyyyyyyy lucky, it missed by two inches and there was a huge inquiry.

I got an A in RE and I still failed Latin!

ReputationRep:
    if her parents spoke to the school and put forward a request the school would consider it and maybe extend any coursework deadlines (bit late) or something, i duno, ask fifi53
    i didnt really need extra time for gcses, but took it as it was offered - came out with all a*s, so i reckon that extra bit of time to just sit and look at the questions was useful! your friend prob wouldnt get extra time as thats not the right kind of help they need - but a letter from the school, or even a doctor, saying that theyre really stressed out and why might make a difference but i am not sure. maybe speak to the school exams officer and see what they think - you dont have to say who it is youre talking about, just ask whether its worth them applying. cant exactly hurt, and i think if you just need circumstances taking into accoutn then you can do it up to a week AFTER your last exam. plenty of thinking time.
    as for coursework... i've had soem major extensions over the years. longest being at a-level where i had 4 months longer than everyone else. a bit embarrassing, and people get pissed off if they dont realise why you get longer. its important people understand whats going on if theyre going to make any allowances though.

ReputationRep:
    fifi how come you got longer in the exams? (great use of English I know)

ReputationRep:
    arthritis - gotta stop and have a little stretch occasionally. had a different reason for getting sepcial consideration though.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience special considerations (not extra time) have little, if any, effect on exam results.

From the point of the exam board, they can't say you're better at a subject than you really are, regardless of any unfortunate circumstances you might be in.

Lets say they did, give you an A in maths, because of your circumstances when you really arn't that great at it.... and then you're employed in a maths related job because of this... you can understand why it wouldn't work.

You'd probably be better trying to explain your situation to the university so as they can take it into consideration when they're considering your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribosome)
    In my experience special considerations (not extra time) have little, if any, effect on exam results.

From the point of the exam board, they can't say you're better at a subject than you really are, regardless of any unfortunate circumstances you might be in.

Lets say they did, give you an A in maths, because of your circumstances when you really arn't that great at it.... and then you're employed in a maths related job because of this... you can understand why it wouldn't work.

You'd probably be better trying to explain your situation to the university so as they can take it into consideration when they're considering your application.
    theres no way i wouldve passed my exams if i hadnt had special consideration - i got breaks, my circumstances were considered when grading (ie. if i was close to a D i might get tipped over into the D band rather than the E). i agree that unless someone makes a good case for you, it makes no difference, the system is there for very extreme circumstances. for bereavement you'd need a psychiatrists letter saying it was affecting your cognitive function severely for it to have a major impact. but something is better than nothing! special circumstances arent meant to show you as better than you are - just bring you closer to the grade you should be getting if it wasnt for the problem. an A grade student might for example perform at C level in the exam (cos of whatever) and may get their grade raised to a B.

universities dont seem to care about special circumstances for applications... i am applying to uni at the moment, and i have called up universities several times asking if disability was taken into account and grade requirements could be lowered and they said that they never bend the rules for under 21s and i would have to go back to school and retake. this is stupid as i have a full set of A* grades at GCSE and good grades at AS, and they wouldnt even let me onto an EEE course?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.