Why do we forget the past?

Watch
RocketCiaranJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
We forget. We forget. And, we forget. In 1940, one of the most passionate speeches in history was made by Charlie Chaplin; one year before the systematic extermination of the Jews began. We forgot everything that he had to say. Dictators fall. Again. Again. What happens next? We allow another dictator to come to power. The First World War killed a vast number of people. We went to war again. We forgot. Our history shows us that attempts to change a society through fear and manipulation will invariably fail. We have ISIS. We forgot. Why? Why do we not simply look back into our history, and realise that this terrible brutality serves none but to exacerbate further brutality?

Let me just explain where all of this originates. Two days ago, I stumbled upon the speech, as linked above, and recognised the irony of how relevant this is to us NOW, IN 2014. This forgotten man, speaking a forgotten speech in 1940, is so very relevant in 2014. But why? Why? Why did we not simply listen to him? Why, after 74 years can this speech, concerning a world that should be archaic, be required now? We should have changed, why didn't we? We built machines, and scientific ideas, and knowledge, and morality; yet we still destroy each other in meaningless wars. We are still too clever, not kind. Why?
William Turtle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hardly a forgotten man.

Amyway, it's just human nature. Perhaps there's a progression, perhaps not. But it can only take far longer than 74 years to change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (123)
43.01%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.73%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (113)
39.51%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.75%

Watched Threads