The Student Room Group

QUB Applicants 2015

Anyone else planning on applying to QUB? (Even if it isn't necessarily your first choice?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I might be it depends on my ukcat :smile:
I applied last year too but might again. It's such a nice uni and the way the do accommodation was probably the best of all the unis I went to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Oops
Reply 3
Original post by em.d_4
I might be it depends on my ukcat :smile:
I applied last year too but might again. It's such a nice uni and the way the do accommodation was probably the best of all the unis I went to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't actually had a chance to look around it (my Aunt moved so I couldn't stay with her in Belfast) but everything I've heard about it is very positive. What do you think of their course structure?
Reply 4
Original post by LeFailFish
I haven't actually had a chance to look around it (my Aunt moved so I couldn't stay with her in Belfast) but everything I've heard about it is very positive. What do you think of their course structure?

Well I guess it depends what your doing and what you want but it ticked mine as there's no PBL :smile:
The cities lovely I visited twice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by em.d_4
Well I guess it depends what your doing and what you want but it ticked mine as there's no PBL :smile:
The cities lovely I visited twice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's one of the things I like as well - I prefer the more traditional courses.

I agree, I've been to Belfast a few times with family and I love it there. It seems much more friendly than a lot of cities!
Reply 6
That's one of the things I like as well - I prefer the more traditional courses.

I agree, I've been to Belfast a few times with family and I love it there. It seems much more friendly than a lot of cities!

Also being a regional centre it has the benefits of big hospitals with high profile procedures etc. Which is potentially interesting later in the course.
Yeah super friendly and so small yet still.a city! Everything is walking distance. Id like somewhere a little livelier in terms of night life but I think I could cope. The people are nore important than the places really.
Are you NI?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Anyone else planning on applying to QUB? (Even if it isn't necessarily your first choice?)

I am applying for 2015 entry, I'm a graduate with 40 points according to their website. Hope it will be enough to get to the interview. Does anybody know what the cut off was for last year?
Reply 8
Original post by em.d_4
Also being a regional centre it has the benefits of big hospitals with high profile procedures etc. Which is potentially interesting later in the course.
Yeah super friendly and so small yet still.a city! Everything is walking distance. Id like somewhere a little livelier in terms of night life but I think I could cope. The people are nore important than the places really.
Are you NI?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah - it's always going to be an advantage having major hospitals linked to the university!

The small size is great for students who can't afford transport. :tongue: Plus, I've always found it a lot harder to get lost in Belfast than in other cities. Judging from my cousin's Facebook Belfast has a fairly decent night life if you know where to go... but yes, the people are always more important. Places can be coped with.

I'm not - my family is, but my mum moved over to England 25 years ago or so to get away from the Troubles. So I go over most summers to see the rest of the family but I've never lived there myself. What about you?
Reply 9
Original post by doaka
I am applying for 2015 entry, I'm a graduate with 40 points according to their website. Hope it will be enough to get to the interview. Does anybody know what the cut off was for last year?

Hi! :smile:

It sounds high enough to me, but someone who got in for 2014 would be batter able to advise you. After all, the maximum is 42 points so 40 is pretty good! I think I have 41 but I'm not certain if my Further Maths counts as a GCSE A*...
Reply 10
Yeah - it's always going to be an advantage having major hospitals linked to the university!

The small size is great for students who can't afford transport. :tongue: Plus, I've always found it a lot harder to get lost in Belfast than in other cities. Judging from my cousin's Facebook Belfast has a fairly decent night life if you know where to go... but yes, the people are always more important. Places can be coped with.

I'm not - my family is, but my mum moved over to England 25 years ago or so to get away from the Troubles. So I go over most summers to see the rest of the family but I've never lived there myself. What about you?

I'm sure you can find the fun if you look but I'm from London we dont ever have to look for nightlife it finds you!
Yeah sooo many people who apply to queens are NI or international, the interview was so bizarre.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by doaka

I was interviewed last year with 38/39 and the cut off was about 37 I think but I'm not a grad. I found their admissons really upfront if you call and ask they'll tell you.

Hi! :smile:

It sounds high enough to me, but someone who got in for 2014 would be batter able to advise you. After all, the maximum is 42 points so 40 is pretty good! I think I have 41 but I'm not certain if my Further Maths counts as a GCSE A*...

I think they won't count the further maths, they refused to count my.additional maths fsmq gcse thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
I'm sure you can find the fun if you look but I'm from London we dont ever have to look for nightlife it finds you!
Yeah sooo many people who apply to queens are NI or international, the interview was so bizarre.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, I guess any UK city would seem quiet compared to London!

How was the interview bizarre? They do MMI don't they? I guess a lot of mainland UK people consider NI a bit too far away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Ahh, I guess any UK city would seem quiet compared to London!

How was the interview bizarre? They do MMI don't they? I guess a lot of mainland UK people consider NI a bit too far away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well firstly I got there and literally so many were NI/international but also the questions were weird as! I've signed confidentiality so I can't actually say much more than that.
Yeah Newcastle was my top choice last year so that was my lively choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
Well firstly I got there and literally so many were NI/international but also the questions were weird as! I've signed confidentiality so I can't actually say much more than that.
Yeah Newcastle was my top choice last year so that was my lively choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well hopefully the questions aren't too hard this year, even if they are weird. MMI's sound slightly strange in any case.

Newcastle has always sounded like a great university, although I'm not planning on applying there. My cousin (who is Northern Irish) is studying there at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Well hopefully the questions aren't too hard this year, even if they are weird. MMI's sound slightly strange in any case.

Newcastle has always sounded like a great university, although I'm not planning on applying there. My cousin (who is Northern Irish) is studying there at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah im hoping to avoid mmi tbh this year id prefer panel. mmi was weird and I really dont think it's actually a good way to judge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
Yeah im hoping to avoid mmi tbh this year id prefer panel. mmi was weird and I really dont think it's actually a good way to judge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a way I can understand why some universities use MMI - it's much harder to prepare for MMI interviews so you don't get pre-written answers to questions - but it must be difficult to get to know the applicants if each interviewer only sees them for a few minutes.
Reply 17
do they interview all above cut off ?
Original post by Har
do they interview all above cut off ?

They have a points system - your top 9 GCSE grades (or your degree if you're graduate entry) and your UKCAT will get you a score out of 42. If you have 38 or above they'll shortlist you for interview but they don't interview everyone on that shortlist - only the ones with a good personal statement and AS grades etc.

http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/StudyatQueens/CourseFinder/FileStore/UG15/Filetoupload,455270,en.pdf
I've just worked out my score and I have 39, I would just like to compare this with other applicants to see if it's too risky for me to apply?

Quick Reply

Latest