The Student Room Group

Should I still apply for dentistry with my grades?

Hi I am really interested in applying for Dentistry but unfortunately didn't get high enough grades. I got ABBC in my AS level and 4A*, 6A's in my GCSE.

I have 1 week worth of work experience in dentistry and 4 weeks in medicine. Any other information I will gladly provide if it is relevant.

I was still wondering there is any point in still applying for dentistry and what universities if any will accept me.

Thanks
I certainly wouldn't give up hope. I know a girl who got exactly the same grades as you at AS and was really disappointed because she had wanted to become a vet. However, what she decided to do was to not apply to uni after her AS grades, but to wait until after she had her A-levels. She then worked really hard in her second year of sixth form, and managed to get AAA, and she's now in her 3rd year of vet school :smile: The only downside to that solution was that she was forced to take a gap year (as she was basically applying to uni along with the year below), although it turned out to be really useful because she used it to save money for her course and gain some work experience that really helped her application. Perhaps you could consider doing what she did?

It may seem like all hope is lost, but honestly you'd be surprised how many people manage to dramatically improve on their AS grades! Your GCSE grade's are also really impressive, so I think it show's that you have potential :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jellybanana
I certainly wouldn't give up hope. I know a girl who got exactly the same grades as you at AS and was really disappointed because she had wanted to become a vet. However, what she decided to do was to not apply to uni after her AS grades, but to wait until after she had her A-levels. She then worked really hard in her second year of sixth form, and managed to get AAA, and she's now in her 3rd year of vet school :smile: The only downside to that solution was that she was forced to take a gap year (as she was basically applying to uni along with the year below), although it turned out to be really useful because she used it to save money for her course and gain some work experience that really helped her application. Perhaps you could consider doing what she did?

It may seem like all hope is lost, but honestly you'd be surprised how many people manage to dramatically improve on their AS grades! Your GCSE grade's are also really impressive, so I think it show's that you have potential :smile:

Hi! Thanks for replying :smile: I am actually really thinking of applying next year as well for dentistry after my A2 results and work really hard this year but I was just wondering if I should even try and apply this year? I don't mind taking a gap year at all and could get more experience which would be very handy. I am planning on resitting a couple of modules next year to bumb up my grades but was just wondering if I should try applying to dentistry with my AS grades that I have atm.

Original post by DentistryWanabee
Hi! Thanks for replying :smile: I am actually really thinking of applying next year as well for dentistry after my A2 results and work really hard this year but I was just wondering if I should even try and apply this year? I don't mind taking a gap year at all and could get more experience which would be very handy. I am planning on resitting a couple of modules next year to bumb up my grades but was just wondering if I should try applying to dentistry with my AS grades that I have atm.

Well I can't say I'm an expert on dentistry applications, but if I were you, I'd go for it! The worst case scenario is that you don't get any offers, in which case you can always apply again next year!

Can I ask, were your AS grades what you expecting to get or were they lower than you predicted? If it's the latter, or if the B's you got were really close to A's, your teachers might predict you the grade's you need in order to make a good application, and then you shouldn't be at a significant disadvantage to anyone else, so long as you do well in your A-level exams. Also, I'm pretty sure some uni's (King's in London being one) sometimes lower their entrance grades if you get a good UKCAT score. My advice would be to get some more work experience (although it's good that you have some already, you can never have too much!) and maybe read some dentistry books in order to make your personal statement as strong as possible, and then apply this year anyway because you don't really have anything to lose :smile:
Original post by jellybanana
Well I can't say I'm an expert on dentistry applications, but if I were you, I'd go for it! The worst case scenario is that you don't get any offers, in which case you can always apply again next year!

Can I ask, were your AS grades what you expecting to get or were they lower than you predicted? If it's the latter, or if the B's you got were really close to A's, your teachers might predict you the grade's you need in order to make a good application, and then you shouldn't be at a significant disadvantage to anyone else, so long as you do well in your A-level exams. Also, I'm pretty sure some uni's (King's in London being one) sometimes lower their entrance grades if you get a good UKCAT score. My advice would be to get some more work experience (although it's good that you have some already, you can never have too much!) and maybe read some dentistry books in order to make your personal statement as strong as possible, and then apply this year anyway because you don't really have anything to lose :smile:

Yeah, I understand. Anything helps. Appreciate it. My grades were lower than expected. I was actually predicted AAAA but didn't do any work for my exams :/ Yeah, I just have to hope my teachers give me good predictions! I will have a look into King's. I actually think I may have looked at it and their offers ranged from AAAb/BBBb I think, not sure though! I will give it a try and see how it goes! Hopefully ok!

Thanks very much
Original post by DentistryWanabee
Hi I am really interested in applying for Dentistry but unfortunately didn't get high enough grades. I got ABBC in my AS level and 4A*, 6A's in my GCSE.

I have 1 week worth of work experience in dentistry and 4 weeks in medicine. Any other information I will gladly provide if it is relevant.

I was still wondering there is any point in still applying for dentistry and what universities if any will accept me.

Thanks

For dentistry you must be predicted and attain AAA at A2.
Most dental schools require a minimum of 2 weeks dentistry work experience in GDP because they want you to be sure that you have properly explored dentistry as a career. Many applicants will have a lot more work experience in a variety of settings.
My advice is to get more work experience before you write your personal statement, convince your teachers to predict AAA and prepare well for the UKCAT. With your weaker AS levels and limited work experience your application may not be as competitive as others. Dentistry is just as competitive as medicine (you have more medicine work experience, so why dentistry?)
if you are passionate about the dentistry and blaze the UKCAT then go for it! You could be successful but if not you can always reapply with achieved grades and more work experience under your belt.
Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest