The Student Room Group

Thinking of transferring to first year and restart the Pharmacy course.

I am thinking of transferring to kingston and restart the Pharmacy course from first year just for the sake of staying at home but i have already done the first year at wolverhampton university. Kingston is in london which means i will be staying home. I lived in halls for the first year at wolverhampton and i really kinda miss my home and was really home sick in the first semester therefore used to come home every other week but was fine in the end. i tried really hard to transfer to second year but i couldnt. If i go kingston then i will be losing a year and 13k in total. sometime i dont think of doing that because i'm almost 21 and really getting age conscious because most of the peope on my course are 20 or below. When i started at wolverhampton the university reputation really made me worried but now after being there for a year i think they are really good for my course. plus i think kingston and wolverhampton are almost the same reputation wise so its not worth transfering. if i go kingston i will have to commute from home which will take round about an hour. i have done my research and so far i have not heard good things about pharmacy at kingston. I am just worried that if i go back to wolverhampton then i might get homesick again and i dont want to regret this opportunity of transferring rest of my life which i have at the moment. Your honest sugggestions will be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long essay.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pharmaboy
I am thinking of transferring to kingston and restart the Pharmacy course from first year just for the sake of staying at home but i have already done the first year at wolverhampton university. Kingston is in london which means i will be staying home. I lived in halls for the first year at wolverhampton and i really kinda miss my home and was really home sick in the first semester therefore used to come home every other week but was fine in the end. i tried really hard to transfer to second year but i couldnt. If i go kingston then i will be losing a year and 13k in total. sometime i dont think of doing that because i'm almost 21 and really getting age conscious because most of the peope on my course are 20 or below. When i started at wolverhampton the university reputation really made me worried but now after being there for a year i think they are really good for my course. plus i think kingston and wolverhampton are almost the same reputation wise so its not worth transfering. if i go kingston i will have to commute from home which will take round about an hour. i have done my research and so far i have not heard good things about pharmacy at kingston. I am just worried that if i go back to wolverhampton then i might get homesick again and i dont want to regret this opportunity of transferring rest of my life which i have at the moment. Your honest sugggestions will be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long essay.

Back to the same quandary! 13k down, but how much will you save living at home? You have done two years away from home, can you wait another two? Already halfway through your course and as you've said you enjoy it and consider it a worthwhile course at WOlverhampton.
Age is just a number, noone can tell how much older you are it is just the mentality as you mature that becomes more sensible!
Sorry to hear you've had it tough at university, I totally empathise with the whole being far from home/family. Since coming to university, what has pulled me through is the support from my parents. Blood is thicker than water and no matter the circumstances they will always be there for you :smile:
Reply 3
I went to nottingham by myself with no friends or family and I'm from London. And I was so homesick and had bad anxiety but at the end of the day you gotta just realise that we are all growing up now and you have to do things on your own you will not be in the same roof as ur parent forever and u gotta flee the nest! They are a phonecall away and they will always be there for you so I really think you should try to enjoy uni in Wolverhampton more and try to stay. If you haven't made many friends try to get out more or join more societies. Also just try to be more confident and try to beat ur home sickness !! Your university also has a councellor so maybe speak to them it's free and they offer really good advice

Stay strong and good luck !!
Reply 4
Original post by LoroPiana
Back to the same quandary! 13k down, but how much will you save living at home? You have done two years away from home, can you wait another two? Already halfway through your course and as you've said you enjoy it and consider it a worthwhile course at WOlverhampton.
Age is just a number, noone can tell how much older you are it is just the mentality as you mature that becomes more sensible!

I have only completed first year. If i stay at home i will not have take out the maintenance loan which is £3800 a year so i will be saving 3x£3800 = £11400.

I have decided to stay. People took so long to reply to this thread but thanks for replying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by LoroPiana
Sorry to hear you've had it tough at university, I totally empathise with the whole being far from home/family. Since coming to university, what has pulled me through is the support from my parents. Blood is thicker than water and no matter the circumstances they will always be there for you :smile:

Yeah you realise the importance of family when you are away from them. So did u stay away from home while at university ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Paolat
I went to nottingham by myself with no friends or family and I'm from London. And I was so homesick and had bad anxiety but at the end of the day you gotta just realise that we are all growing up now and you have to do things on your own you will not be in the same roof as ur parent forever and u gotta flee the nest! They are a phonecall away and they will always be there for you so I really think you should try to enjoy uni in Wolverhampton more and try to stay. If you haven't made many friends try to get out more or join more societies. Also just try to be more confident and try to beat ur home sickness !! Your university also has a councellor so maybe speak to them it's free and they offer really good advice

Stay strong and good luck !!

Thanks paolet. Really appreciate your supportive comments. Have u finished ur course or r u still there? How often u used to go home ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharmaboy
Yeah you realise the importance of family when you are away from them. So did u stay away from home while at university ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it's 3.5h by train from university. In my first term I overspent and couldn't afford to go home...now I go home half way through term and in the holidays. I speak to my family everyday though and it helps me feel that I am still a part of life at home.
I know UCL offer transfer from 1st year to second. However, you need to have really good grades in your 1st year exams. Worth calling them to ask?

Also, I know so many people who went to Kingston to study pharmacy. They now work as hospital pharmacists and some even in industry! Kingston Uni has a bad rep but for pharmacy there is no bad rep. It's all about how much your willing to push yourself. Doing pharmacy in any school is practically the same thing!

Like others have said, you have already started at wolverhampton. You should try to stick it out and over time you will get more comfortable. If not, consider calling UCL, Reading or Hertfordshire to ask for 2nd year transfer! (I don't think Kings allow it)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending