The Student Room Group

Need help?

Basically I didn't do too well in my gcses, I got a C in maths and two C in IT, D in English (re doing at college) and a c in media, and D's abd E's in everythin else, I have completed my first year of level 3 extended diploma in animal management at college with 7 distinctions, 2 merits and a pass, I have one more year left, I need 260-320 tariff points for a uni course at Bournemouth uni (ecology and wildlife conservation) and was wandering if it's possible to get the required points? I'm going to work even harder in my final upcoming year in the hope of getting in next September! Any tips/advice would be appreciated thanks!
Original post by ConorWeber
Basically I didn't do too well in my gcses, I got a C in maths and two C in IT, D in English (re doing at college) and a c in media, and D's abd E's in everythin else, I have completed my first year of level 3 extended diploma in animal management at college with 7 distinctions, 2 merits and a pass, I have one more year left, I need 260-320 tariff points for a uni course at Bournemouth uni (ecology and wildlife conservation) and was wandering if it's possible to get the required points? I'm going to work even harder in my final upcoming year in the hope of getting in next September! Any tips/advice would be appreciated thanks!

Hi Conor. Welcome to TSR!

I've moved this from Welcome lounge to UCAs and applications forum. :smile:

Have you calculated how many points you already have and what you'd need to get next year to get the needed UCAS points?

Check out this handy calculator.
Hey Conor,

I’d say firstly, check the UCAS tariff points also read what the exact requirements are from the universities you're looking to apply at. Some universities put more emphasis on UCAS points than the actual grades whereas some concentrate more on the actual subject/grade.

I would also advise you to take your time writing your Personal statement because if you are short on points then this is a great opportunity to sell yourself. Ask your careers at college to help you write it plus your tutor to give you feedback on it before submitting.

One last thing contact the university course tutor/programme leader in advance just to introduce yourself and be ambitious, prepare some questions and also mention your worries. If you impress them they will definitely want you around even if you don't meet the exact requirements.

Good luck :smile:

Saf
Marketing & Recruitment Officer
Keep working hard with your diploma! I came out with seven distinctions and two merits in my first year! Work out how many points you earned for your first year. Secondly, do some research and choose some courses which interest you and find out if you meet the entry requirements already or are able to achieve them in your second year. Lastly, ensure you have some relevant experience under your belt and start drafting your personal statement! Don't forget to get family and tutors to look at it!

I'll be applying for veterinary nursing for 2015 enrollment and have done my research and have selected 5 courses and emailed some tutors with questions. Furthermore, I have drafted my personal statement which my tutor will look at when I return to college next week!

Good luck!
I don't have much experience of this sort of course but universities will probably make offers that specify a certin number of distinctions and merits. They may require you to pass everything, If they ask for, say, 5 distinctions and the rest merits but you get 6 distinctions, 3 merits and one pass they may take you anyway.

If they have an open day go and visit and ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending