The Student Room Group

want to study gcse maths...worried though

I want to study gcse maths as I didn't pass back in school 2010, though I have worked on functional skills maths level 2 failed by two marks - most people are suggesting to go back to gcse as you aware its more recognised then functional I too wanted to go back college said you can't resit here as your grade is well low.

am 20 years old now feel weird to walk back into a college/center worrying not meeting people of my age. I have searched for colleges/centers however not sure which one to opt for OCR, AQA or Edexcel?

which one is best for a person like me struggling in maths in some areas n fine with other areas? need advice

thanks
Original post by sim12345
I want to study gcse maths as I didn't pass back in school 2010, though I have worked on functional skills maths level 2 failed by two marks - most people are suggesting to go back to gcse as you aware its more recognised then functional I too wanted to go back college said you can't resit here as your grade is well low.

am 20 years old now feel weird to walk back into a college/center worrying not meeting people of my age. I have searched for colleges/centers however not sure which one to opt for OCR, AQA or Edexcel?

which one is best for a person like me struggling in maths in some areas n fine with other areas? need advice

thanks

Heya, I'm going to put this in the Maths forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Reply 2
I would recommend doing maths GCSE again. Second time lucky?:wink:

All the exam boards are roughly the same. Have you looked at their specifications on the website - that will show you what they expect you to now for each exam? (as you struggle in some areas and not in others)

And your not that old. Only 20 - you will probably find people in the same position as you. Choose whichever college you feel comfortable with.

As long as you try hard, and ask for help when needed - you should do fine.
(edited 9 years ago)

thanks

Hi

Firstly the bad news - it is not going to be easy to overcome your negative feelings for maths - your convictions that you cannot do some topics - this is natural

However -

Each of the exam boards have the same syllabus content and the difference in the exams is minimal

Can I ask a few questions

What grade did you get at GCSE
Are you planning on doing this during the day, or evening
Will you be studying maths alongside any other qualification or just the maths
What is your purpose - to help with job apps or for personal satisfaction
Original post by Pchaddha
I would recommend doing maths GCSE again. Second time lucky?:wink:

All the exam boards are roughly the same. Have you looked at their specifications on the website - that will show you what they expect you to now for each exam? (as you struggle in some areas and not in others)

And your not that old. Only 20 - you will probably find people in the same position as you. Choose whichever college you feel comfortable with.

As long as you try hard, and ask for help when needed - you should do fine.

thanks really appreciated it, I did take a look at all the specifications has helped in a way
Original post by TenOfThem
Hi

Firstly the bad news - it is not going to be easy to overcome your negative feelings for maths - your convictions that you cannot do some topics - this is natural

However -

Each of the exam boards have the same syllabus content and the difference in the exams is minimal

Can I ask a few questions

What grade did you get at GCSE
Are you planning on doing this during the day, or evening
Will you be studying maths alongside any other qualification or just the maths
What is your purpose - to help with job apps or for personal satisfaction

I agree over coming the negative feelings anwsers to the q's

a) really low embarrassed to even mention - have improved on the subjects I was really low on now am good at.
b) it depends if it's in a college or center am a morning person, morning is the best for me
c) just GCSE maths - might study a short course on photography for my passion so am not always doing maths
d) both - for a good job - good earning n personal satisfaction - no one can say I can't do anything well in the future

thanks for the reply really appreciated it

thanks for the reply really appreciated it

No Problem

I think that you would be best studying the photography too - that will give you success and will keep you motivated

So, my advice

Find a college and a course
Normally I would say take your time but changes to GCSE kick in soon so I would advise finding somewhere that you can start this September

Once you know the course, the bard, the level you will be taking etc - come back on here and let us know - people will help :smile:
Original post by TenOfThem
No Problem

I think that you would be best studying the photography too - that will give you success and will keep you motivated

So, my advice

Find a college and a course
Normally I would say take your time but changes to GCSE kick in soon so I would advise finding somewhere that you can start this September

Once you know the course, the bard, the level you will be taking etc - come back on here and let us know - people will help :smile:

thanks ever so much really appreciate it, doing the research thanks a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest