Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctus)
    Jesus did not go to "church", nor did the apostles or Christians for the first few centuries.

And I don't think Jesus would want to be associated with churchianity. Christianity and Christians today are what Jesus taught against.
    Jesus went to the temple and in fact was found preaching in one at the age of twelve, according to the Gospels. I would have thought that the temple was equivalent to the church as they are both places of worship and prayer.

Can you explain why you think Jesus taught against Christianity and Christians? Did He not tell us to go, preach and spread His Word?

ReputationRep:
    Jesus did not go to "church", nor did the apostles or Christians for the first few centuries.

And I don't think Jesus would want to be associated with churchianity. Christianity and Christians today are what Jesus taught against.
    I agree that christians like those who are fighting in Ireland, and those who require donations to heal people over the telephone are not following the words of christ- but there are many others, such as those who give up time to do volunteer work for charities etc. are truly christian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Jesus went to the temple and in fact was found preaching in one at the age of twelve, according to the Gospels. I would have thought that the temple was equivalent to the church as they are both places of worship and prayer.

Can you explain why you think Jesus taught against Christianity and Christians? Did He not tell us to go, preach and spread His Word?
    a church is different from a temple- sacrfices are not made there, we do not have the nir tamed, women and men are not segregated, we do not have a torah or the cuboard to keep them in etc.

ReputationRep:

Please expand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    a church is different from a temple- sacrfices are not made there, we do not have the nir tamed, women and men are not segregated, we do not have a torah or the cuboard to keep them in etc.
    Physically, a church, temple, synagogue are different, I grant you.

I was referring to the wider aspects of worship and prayer and that is what all these 'buildings' have in common.

So, going back to the comment made by Sanctus (which means Holy in Latin, incidentally) if Christ preached in the temple why would He not want his followers to do likewise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babygal)
    Exactly, couldn't have said it any better
    ok fair enough i c ur point, what i was trying to get across is that chrstians must get 2gether and talk about their faith. maybe it doesnt have to be a church, but u cant worship in isolation

ReputationRep:
    I think that this is a bit extreme. Yes there is some corruption in some christian churches but if a Christian person is living their lives by the teachings of Christ I don't see why he would have a problem with that.

ReputationRep:
    That is the stupidest thing that I have ever heard. Jesus taught at the temple when he was a child. He taught on the sabath in the synagogue, and since a church is a gathering of believers he was always at church. He also started the first church and his apostles started hundreds of churches.

ReputationRep:
    bah....religion :rolleyes: , been there, done that, got the t shirt, or not since religion seems pretty stupid to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    bah....religion :rolleyes: , been there, done that, got the t shirt, or not since religion seems pretty stupid to me.
    The thread-starter made it pretty clear that this thread wasn't to debate the existence of God, but to talk about Christianity.

If you want to do so, then make your own thread.

ReputationRep:
    To be christian is a state of mind and a way of life. Going to a 'building'(church) to be expected to donate money is simply a way for zionist christian leaders to add to their bank accounts. When some zionist christian leaders need money really bad, they make up things like 'we have to collect 20 million dollars or God will take my life'. To me those people like that give religion in general a bad name and should be ashamed of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxNewsRocks)
    To be christian is a state of mind and a way of life. Going to a 'building'(church) to be expected to donate money is simply a way for zionist christian leaders to add to their bank accounts. When some zionist christian leaders need money really bad, they make up things like 'we have to collect 20 million dollars or God will take my life'. To me those people like that give religion in general a bad name and should be ashamed of themselves.
    Zionist? Please. Do you have to associate EVERY problem in todays society with zionism? You sound like some of the fundamentalists in Iraq who claim that all thieves are zionists. Clearly catholics without any interest in zionism whatsoever are still accepting money as retribution for the sins. Do you sugest that all catholic priests are zionists? Cmon, the money the church collects they mainly use within the chruch or for funding charity work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Zionist? Please. Do you have to associate EVERY problem in todays society with zionism? You sound like some of the fundamentalists in Iraq who claim that all thieves are zionists. Clearly catholics without any interest in zionism whatsoever are still accepting money as retribution for the sins. Do you sugest that all catholic priests are zionists? Cmon, the money the church collects they mainly use within the chruch or for funding charity work.

The ones that do it on TV are zionists christians.

ReputationRep:
    Why are so many Americans practising, passionate Christians?

The same cannot be said for here, is it a state of mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Why are so many Americans practising, passionate Christians?

The same cannot be said for here, is it a state of mind?

Christianity is all most Americans have that isnt corrupted from within the system. This is where zionist christians come into the picture. They are the christians that really think the jewish people are Gods 'chosen ones' and these zionist christians (which are christians you see on tv, the 'other' christians arent allowed a national audience except for the pope) are the ones you see begging for money on tv and in the church houses. I`m speaking of America by the way, i have no idea how other countries allow or disallow christianity to be shown. People like jonatan think zionist is a dirty word but these same 'christians' express on a daily basis that they are in fact zionists. Jonatan in fact should be proud of zionists christians because they send multiple millions of dollars to israel every year.

ReputationRep:
    Seems to me that Jesus just expected folk to meet "when you meet, do this in rememberance of me.....".

Paul also extoled it as a good thing to be doing.

I dont know much about the politics of it, but why does Zionism do so many people heads in? I hate the opression and bullying of the Palestinians and stuff, but apart from that is there anything peopel find shady. I suppose im wondering if its the ideal or the methodology that folk feel shady about.

ReputationRep:

Jesus didn't go to "Church" because he was Jewish. He went to the synagogue or the temple in Jerusalem.

Early Christians did meet and re-enact the Last Supper as Jesus commanded them, and told the stories of Jesus' life. This is the basis of the Christian celebration.

I'm not saying that to be a Christian, you have to go to mass. I'm just trying to correct a few misconceptions you seem to have.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity is all most Americans have that isnt corrupted from within the system. This is where zionist christians come into the picture. They are the christians that really think the jewish people are Gods 'chosen ones' and these zionist christians (which are christians you see on tv, the 'other' christians arent allowed a national audience except for the pope) are the ones you see begging for money on tv and in the church houses. I`m speaking of America by the way, i have no idea how other countries allow or disallow christianity to be shown. People like jonatan think zionist is a dirty word but these same 'christians' express on a daily basis that they are in fact zionists. Jonatan in fact should be proud of zionists christians because they send multiple millions of dollars to israel every year.
    In your original post you wrote:

Going to a 'building'(church) to be expected to donate money is simply a way for zionist christian leaders to add to their bank accounts.
    This is, except rude, a direct assault on the catholic church in general. You cannot simply dismiss your insults towards other religions by afterwards saying that you are reffering to one particular priest. This thread was started on an English forum, about the general concept of christianity. The truth is that the majority of money collected by the catholic church is either used to finance their own activity , or as direct charity or support for charity organisations. I recognise that some priests may abuse the money they can receive, but your accusations that all christian leaders collecting money for charity on national television are corrupt zionists simply isn't true. The catholic (and protestant) church has helped the poor through decades. I therefore find your assault on the christians collecting money for the poor to be disrespectful, ignorant and rude. Regarding my views on zionism you have little basis for stating things such as:

People like jonatan think zionist is a dirty word
    I have not said this. I have merely criticized your generalised statement accusing christians who collect money for being corrupt zionists. Also, if you are reffering to american christians then it is quite bad behaviour to state a generalised and provocative accusation, formulated in such a way that it refers to christians in general, on a primarely European forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    The thread-starter made it pretty clear that this thread wasn't to debate the existence of God, but to talk about Christianity.

If you want to do so, then make your own thread.

I'd like to remind you all about the above post. lala

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    ok fair enough i c ur point, what i was trying to get across is that chrstians must get 2gether and talk about their faith. maybe it doesnt have to be a church, but u cant worship in isolation
    do teenage christians worship at all

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.