How to get an A* (Edexcel) iGCSE English Lit & prepare ? Watch

FluffyCherry
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For those students who sat the exam and got an A/A* please give tips on how to prepare for the exam. Thanx
Lokiofasgard
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In terms of exam technique, I tried to get at least one quote from the text that I was writing about in the essay within each paragraph- even if it's only short it still gives the impression that you know the text.

In addition, stay completely focused on the question. Even if you end up mentioning the question/ or the point you are making links to the question, that's better than trying to avoid mentioning it, as it stops you from going off on a tangent.

Hope that helps
nataliet97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am currently studying A Level English - I can give you the advice that may apply to you... English exams are all about sophistication and knowledge.

Yes, you may have read the books/poems but you have to be able to write that knowledge in a particular way - using sophisticated language and correct grammar is the best way to bump your grades up. The best way to make your writing sophisticated is to use a thesaurus - if you find simple words such as 'bad' and change them to more sophisticaed adjectives - such as 'malevolent' - your grades will naturally improve.

You can also improve your sophistication via reading higher level books; they don't have to be educational - they can be fictional/non-fictional as long as they are well-written; you should psychologically absorb knowledge; additionally, if you are reading and you don't understand a word - google it/look it up in a dictionary... it really is the best method.

Moreover, structure is extremely important in English exams - if you have a sophisticated, well-structured essay/answer in your exam - then your grade is likely to increase. For example, if you ensure that you are using paragraphs for each point. My English teacher taught us to use the 'PEED' structure... meaning that you start your paragraph with a (P)OINT - then you use a quote as (E)VIDENCE of the point; you then (E)XPLAIN the point using the quote - and (D)EVELOP it - this can also involve linking it to other literary texts!

In addition, always make sure that you analyse Language, Structure AND Form - when it comes to novels/novelllas/poems etc...

(Language - metaphors, techniques etc).
(Structure - paragraphs, stanzas, punctuation etc).
(Form - blank verse, novel, novella, sonnet etc).

English is all about QUALITY NOT QUANTITY - I usually recommend writing four points in an essay; however, if you know that you can only write three - that is fine... as long as they are extremely DETAILED - involving language, structure AND form!!!

Therefore, English exams are all about:
1. SOPHISTICATION.
2. GRAMMAR.
3. STRUCTURE.
4. LANGUAGE, STRUCTURE AND FORM.
5. QUALITY NOT QUANTITY.

Good luck - if you have any questions, please let me know - or check out my education blog: http://nataliet97.blogspot.co.uk/
nataliet97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also ... it is always good to embed quotes - keep quotes short - one or two per point; in addition, it is great if you analyse individual words every now and then - to show that you are understanding the writing in great detail and it shows a mature approach to both English Language and English Literature
Sacred Ground
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I somehow just received an A in literature and I didn't read the books, nor did I study the poems.
nataliet97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hate it when people manage to do that - especially when I read the books -__- haha well done!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?