Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could you guys post your suggestions and ideas on the URL (address) for a website containing help for biology revision? I'm thinking if buying a domain to put a collection of class-notes on.

Something like biologyrevision.co.uk? biologyrevision.net? biologyrevision.com? revisebiology.co.uk? alevelbiology.com?

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Could you guys post your suggestions and ideas on the URL (address) for a website containing help for biology revision? I'm thinking if buying a domain to put a collection of class-notes on.

Something like biologyrevision.co.uk? biologyrevision.net? biologyrevision.com? revisebiology.co.uk? alevelbiology.com?

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts!!
    I think you've got most of them covered there.

Maybe alevelbio.co.uk

Best to stick with the .co.uk site, so that people realise its a UK biology revision site.

ReputationRep:
    If it's just A-Level notes you're going to put up, having alevel in the URL might stop people getting confused with Highers or GCSEs etc.

ReputationRep:
    how about mrbiology.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    [email protected](whatever)
    biologyatalevel.(whatever)
    revisealevelbiology.(whatever)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theaman)
    I think you've got most of them covered there.

Maybe alevelbio.co.uk

Best to stick with the .co.uk site, so that people realise its a UK biology revision site.
    Also, .co.uk addresses are much cheaper. Go to www.123-reg.co.uk and scroll down to where it says "check a domain name" to see whether the ones you want are available, and how much they might cost you. Actually, that's where I got my domain from - £6 for 2 years! Not bad.

Think about whether you want to use dashes (hyphens) in you address. They are good for search engines, as the SE will read the dash as a space, so when someone types in "A-level biology", a site called "A-level-biology" will appear pretty high up in the list. However, names with dashes in are notoriously difficult for people to get right: they will usually just type without dashes and then they will be at the wrong site!

You have to get your main keywords into your URL. I would assume your main keywords are "A-level" and "biology" (perhaps "revision" too?). If there is a really simple URL available, go for that.

If you need any more help, PM me. I used to do this kind of thing for a living until a couple of weeks ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    [email protected](whatever)
    biologyatalevel.(whatever)
    revisealevelbiology.(whatever)
    how abooout... biologyhamster.co.uk
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Also, .co.uk addresses are much cheaper. Go to www.123-reg.co.uk and scroll down to where it says "check a domain name" to see whether the ones you want are available, and how much they might cost you. Actually, that's where I got my domain from - £6 for 2 years! Not bad.
    Does that com with an obligatory banner ad (like www.uk2.net ) or do you simply get the webforwarding?

(ps it's worth looking into getting your site hosted by the same people as you buy the domain from rather than simply re-directing. That way all of your urls will be for the bought domain and not for your ISP/geocities etc account)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Does that com with an obligatory banner ad (like www.uk2.net ) or do you simply get the webforwarding?

(ps it's worth looking into getting your site hosted by the same people as you buy the domain from rather than simply re-directing. That way all of your urls will be for the bought domain and not for your ISP/geocities etc account)
    No, you don't have to display any banner ads. My site has none at all (so far...).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help everyone!

I'm looking into 123-reg, and will use one of the names suggested when I register it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    As long as you're not hosting on a free account there should be no need to do this. Most domain sellers let you set your domain up with a nameserver provided by your host (tell me if this part goes right over your head) which lets you redirect your domain to your host in an elegant way.

As for names, anything you like the look of should be fine, if the site is good enough people should be able to remember it, though the shorter the better really.

BTW whoever said .co.uk domains are the cheapest - .com are also very cheap if you buy from american hosts like www.godaddy.com which are currently £4 a year.

ReputationRep:
    extreme-water-sport-rodent-revises-biology.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    I like www.alevelbio.co.uk

For web hosting see www.tsohost.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    As long as you're not hosting on a free account there should be no need to do this. Most domain sellers let you set your domain up with a nameserver provided by your host (tell me if this part goes right over your head) which lets you redirect your domain to your host in an elegant way.

As for names, anything you like the look of should be fine, if the site is good enough people should be able to remember it, though the shorter the better really.

BTW whoever said .co.uk domains are the cheapest - .com are also very cheap if you buy from american hosts like www.godaddy.com which are currently £4 a year.
    Thanks for the advice from everyone.

I would have purchased the domain from godaddy but I don't have a credit card; I needed somewhere I could use a SOLO card. I found a great host at http://www.cheapunlimitedhosting.com/ They have everything I need, including the .NET framework and SQL Server.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.