Discussion of gender differences in mental health.... help :(

Watch
RuckSack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am doing a research project where i have to discuss gender differences in certain mental health disorders but it has to be over 1500 words and im really struggling to find a structure and points to talk about i can post what ive done so far if people want me too, i just really need some ideas or advice on how to write this..... thanks guys
AlissaNB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did a research project during my a-levels (a psychological topic) and that was a 5000 word essay so I understand what it feels like to be unsure whether you have enough material to write about! I bet you'll end up having too much to write about like many, so don't worry.

What disorders have you already chosen to discuss, first of all?
RuckSack
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlissaNB)
I did a research project during my a-levels (a psychological topic) and that was a 5000 word essay so I understand what it feels like to be unsure whether you have enough material to write about! I bet you'll end up having too much to write about like many, so don't worry.

What disorders have you already chosen to discuss, first of all?
5000 words! what! as a starting point i decided to talk about schizophrenia, depression and dyslexia, this is what i have so far you dont have to read it:

Mental Illness is broad term and many people who have no background knowledge into this area will assume mental illness is its own illness, when in fact, it refers to many different illnesses ranging from drug dependence to mood dysfunction. Many people may also not know that there are gender differences in the prevalence of mental health disorders in men and women, this is because most people get this information online or in newspapers where it is condensed down for journalistic purposes, and while it is not totally ignored or unknown, the fact there are gender differences for example in common mental illness like depression, isn’t widely known. In this assignment I will discuss: schizophrenia, depression, dyslexia and autism with the overall aim being to explain what gender differences there are.
Schizophrenia is classed as a serious mental disorder as it only affects under 2% of the population (World Health Organisation) and so to find gender differences is very specific. In reference to how common schizophrenia is in men than women, it is about 1.4 times more likely to occur in men than women (picchioni, M & Murray, R. 2007), but it is the more specific gender differences that are really interesting. Though the agreed age that schizophrenia onsets in people is young adults (18-21), men begin to show and develop schizophrenia at an earlier age than women, indicating that schizophrenia has a more genetic basis. Men also; have more negative symptoms, experience are more serious form of the illness and have a smaller chance of a successful recovery and a ‘generally worse outcome’ (Jablensky A, 2000). In terms of the symptoms displayed by each gender, they are quite different. This is because the symptoms displayed by each gender show ‘role reversal, where each gender shows symptoms which represent the opposite actions of the specified gender stereotypes for example, men become passive, apathetic and socially withdrawn, whereas women become, domineering, impulsive and outgoing.( Ecker, J.; Levine, J.; Zigler, E. (1973)).
AlissaNB
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RuckSack)
5000 words! what! as a starting point i decided to talk about schizophrenia, depression and dyslexia, this is what i have so far you dont have to read it:

Mental Illness is broad term and many people who have no background knowledge into this area will assume mental illness is its own illness, when in fact, it refers to many different illnesses ranging from drug dependence to mood dysfunction. Many people may also not know that there are gender differences in the prevalence of mental health disorders in men and women, this is because most people get this information online or in newspapers where it is condensed down for journalistic purposes, and while it is not totally ignored or unknown, the fact there are gender differences for example in common mental illness like depression, isn’t widely known. In this assignment I will discuss: schizophrenia, depression, dyslexia and autism with the overall aim being to explain what gender differences there are.
Schizophrenia is classed as a serious mental disorder as it only affects under 2% of the population (World Health Organisation) and so to find gender differences is very specific. In reference to how common schizophrenia is in men than women, it is about 1.4 times more likely to occur in men than women (picchioni, M & Murray, R. 2007), but it is the more specific gender differences that are really interesting. Though the agreed age that schizophrenia onsets in people is young adults (18-21), men begin to show and develop schizophrenia at an earlier age than women, indicating that schizophrenia has a more genetic basis. Men also; have more negative symptoms, experience are more serious form of the illness and have a smaller chance of a successful recovery and a ‘generally worse outcome’ (Jablensky A, 2000). In terms of the symptoms displayed by each gender, they are quite different. This is because the symptoms displayed by each gender show ‘role reversal, where each gender shows symptoms which represent the opposite actions of the specified gender stereotypes for example, men become passive, apathetic and socially withdrawn, whereas women become, domineering, impulsive and outgoing.( Ecker, J.; Levine, J.; Zigler, E. (1973)).
I think that's a very insightful start. First of all, 1500 words isn't actually that much, if you divide it down. So far you have 4 mental disorders to talk about. Without worrying about the introduction and conclusion for now, 1500/4 = 375 words per disorder. Have you considered discussing anorexia too? That would give you 5 interesting disorders to talk about in total which would equal less than 300 words per mental disorder, if you include 100 for the introduction and 150 - 300 for your conclusion. Sorry if it sounds very mathematical at this point; I just think it's a good way of structuring your essay and giving you an overview of how detailed to be.
RuckSack
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlissaNB)
I think that's a very insightful start. First of all, 1500 words isn't actually that much, if you divide it down. So far you have 4 mental disorders to talk about. Without worrying about the introduction and conclusion for now, 1500/4 = 375 words per disorder. Have you considered discussing anorexia too? That would give you 5 interesting disorders to talk about in total which would equal less than 300 words per mental disorder, if you include 100 for the introduction and 150 - 300 for your conclusion. Sorry if it sounds very mathematical at this point; I just think it's a good way of structuring your essay and giving you an overview of how detailed to be.
Thanks for helping me find a structure, I guess it was pretty simple really but just needed someone else to point that out! so intro 5 disorders around 3 words each and a conclusion, great!
AlissaNB
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RuckSack)
Thanks for helping me find a structure, I guess it was pretty simple really but just needed someone else to point that out! so intro 5 disorders around 3 words each and a conclusion, great!
When I started my project, I didn't know where to start or what to begin with! After doing a little maths, it seemed a lot simpler to me. You'd probably have about 1200 - 1100 words left to write about if you include the intro and conclusion, so that is in fact about 200 - 240 per disorder (if you talk about 5 different disorders). You may find that you run out of words! But it's better to go over the limit and cut down rather than not even reach the minimum word requirement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (157)
44.23%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.27%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
8.17%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (75)
21.13%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.58%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.63%

Watched Threads