The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Is Imperial a boring university?

I gave up a place at UCL and Nottingham to choose imperial due to its superior academic reputation. However, now I find myself wondering whether it was the right decision.
From what I have been told, Imperial is a boring university, even when compared to other top universities: Oxford, Cambridge and LSE e.t.c.
Many even hint at the Imperial overworking their students, with a more demanding timetable and workload than other university from the onset.

My personal experience also collaborates this. I have some "friends" at imperial and I have to say they are the most boring people in this universe. The Male:Female ratio also worries me 2:1.

I picked Imperial due to its academic strength, as I plan to transfer to the US in my second year. In the event that this does not work out, I will be at imperial for 3/4 years. I hope it should be great fun, but i am starting to doubt this.

Do not get me wrong, I am not worried about finding the work tough. Neither am I worried about finding the people too academic. I am just worried that beyond that the place is rather dull. Is this last minute panic or are my worries a good reflection of reality at Imperial?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can't hope to tar everyone with the same brush, purely based on a reputation - at the end of the day university life is what you make of it. Sure, there will be people who want to stay in and study every hour of every day, but if you want to go out, I don't doubt that you will find people who you can go out and have fun with.

Yes, most IC student's will have a fairly demanding schedule as it's mainly a science based uni but I don't think you can categorically say that people won't be going out as a result of this - as long as people can manage their time well they should be able to do well in their studies and have fun.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
your experience will be what you make it. if you come in with a preconception that everything at imperial will be dull then you will be less receptive and may miss out on "fun" stuff that is happening so you will therefore believe you are right in thinking imperial is dull which will make you even less receptive. its a vicious circle.

and realistically how bad can it be, i mean it is in london after all and you can make friends with people outside of uni in the worst case senario.

EDIT: in a dutshell ditto what mike is saying, wasnt fast enough hitting that quick reply button! :p:
I heard lse students were over excited one night by spending it at the library :colondollar:
Thanks for the relplies. :smile:
Being aware of my opinion, I do not think that I would allow it to have any negative influence on my time at imperial. I believe it should act as an incentive for me to find social groups, that I can find enjoyable, rather than being a self-fulfilling phrophecy.
But honeslty, do you think a place which holds ~12000 students is boring, or that each and every one of them lacks any social skills?
edders
At least in physics you can bugger around for the first two years and still blag your way through. What makes you so confident of transferring to the US? I doubt it's that easy.

PS. I would say that Imperial is equally as boring as LSE. :cool:

On the LSE comment, I think you are right. Coming to think of it, It is probably more boring than imperial.

On the US transfer, I am not confident, it is just an idea. As I stated, if it does not work, I will be at imperial for 3/4 years. Physics, you gotta love the physics.
Another physicist! lol tell me you have beit single ensuite, it would piss a certain someone right off.
I do not know about the ensuite yet. I better get one, I have OCD. If do not, I will probably travel from home or find my own place. I was hoping that due to tuition fees and London being expensive that many would not be able to afford the ensuite rooms, looks like I was way wrong. Damn

PS do not let this become another thread about halls, i think we have enough worry about that. Imperial students and their hygiene standards.
Reply 9
You'll be there with thousands of other 18(ish) year olds who are probably living away from home for the first time in one of the biggest and livliest cities in the world. If you want to have a good time and make an effort you will have a good time.
Reply 10
tuppertopbrer, if i tell you i'm doing Phys and have Beit single en suite, would that make you happy :p:
Reply 11
From reading through various threads on here it seems there a quite a lot of people who are worried that imperial students aren't going to be up for going out and having fun, which to me shows that it's not true! I'm definately not going to be spending all my time studying, I love going out. I think everyone's right, your time at uni is what you make it! I can't wait! :smile:
Reply 12
dude. dont worry about it, ill be holding chess and soduko tournaments DAILY! what more can you want,
Reply 13
Mangaroo
dude. dont worry about it, ill be holding chess and soduko tournaments DAILY! what more can you want,

AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!!! Have you considered poetry recitals? :p:
Reply 14
please, as if, these are cool events.
Reply 15
seriously, doubt its gonna be as bad as people say.
Lemming*
From reading through various threads on here it seems there a quite a lot of people who are worried that imperial students aren't going to be up for going out and having fun, which to me shows that it's not true! I'm definately not going to be spending all my time studying, I love going out. I think everyone's right, your time at uni is what you make it! I can't wait! :smile:

I am worried about what they will want to do when they go out. I love going to museums, talks at the royal society e.t.c. But i do hate going out yo do mundane things like eat pizza, ice cream and having boring repetitive conversations. From an intellectual stand point I have had many a good time with imperial students. It is beyond that I have had a boring time.

PS - what are the parties like at imperial, do they have good events/balls (does the student union have a good budget for these?) (where are they held?)
Reply 17
magna cum laude
I am worried about what they will want to do when they go out. I love going to museums, talks at the royal society e.t.c. But i do hate going out yo do mundane things like eat pizza, ice cream and having boring repetitive conversations. From an intellectual stand point I have had many a good time with imperial students. It is beyond that I have had a boring time.

PS - what are the parties like at imperial, do they have good events/balls (does the student union have a good budget for these?) (where are they held?)

....and you were accusing us!

& How can u hate going out for ice cream.....you've got to be pretty evil imo.
Reply 18
Most importantly, do we have LAN parties?! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Lol, what games, xordan?

Latest