HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm taking a gap year, and I would like to study a Science A level.

However I am torn between Biology or Chemistry. I will be taking an intensive one year course so I will be covering AS and A2 in either one of these subjects.

I would like to know which is a better A level, which is more useful and which is a stronger subject that's preferred by universities.

If anyone's taken these subjects or knows anything about them, please help!

Thanks
Chlorophile
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HAnwar)
I'm taking a gap year, and I would like to study a Science A level.

However I am torn between Biology or Chemistry. I will be taking an intensive one year course so I will be covering AS and A2 in either one of these subjects.

I would like to know which is a better A level, which is more useful and which is a stronger subject that's preferred by universities.

If anyone's taken these subjects or knows anything about them, please help!

Thanks
Neither is intrinsically better, more useful, stronger or 'preferred' by universities. It completely depends on what course you're applying for, and what your personal interests are. I can't really answer your question without knowing this information.
HAnwar
Rep:
(Original post by Chlorophile)
Neither is intrinsically better, more useful, stronger or 'preferred' by universities. It completely depends on what course you're applying for, and what your personal interests are. I can't really answer your question without knowing this information.
That's the thing. I've applied next year to university for English Literature, but I'm not 100% sure that's the right course for me. So I want to change to maybe a Science course, but I'm not sure if I can with my current A levels.

My A levels are-
B: Sociology
B: English Lit
Distinction: Health and Social Care

I prefer Biology as a subject, but I'm better at Chemistry. If I take either one of these subjects, will I be allowed on for a Science course? A course that focuses on something like the human body rather than zoology. I really don't want to take this English Lit course, so I'm desperate to change it with any other Science course.
Chlorophile
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
That's the thing. I've applied next year to university for English Literature, but I'm not 100% sure that's the right course for me. So I want to change to maybe a Science course, but I'm not sure if I can with my current A levels.

My A levels are-
B: Sociology
B: English Lit
Distinction: Health and Social Care

I prefer Biology as a subject, but I'm better at Chemistry. If I take either one of these subjects, will I be allowed on for a Science course? A course that focuses on something like the human body rather than zoology. I really don't want to take this English Lit course, so I'm desperate to change it with any other Science course.
It completely depends on the course. Some science courses allow you to get in with a single science (e.g. quite a few Biology courses allow you to get in with just Biology) but others require a minimum of two sciences. If you do want to go into Biology, you'll need to take Biology A Level. When Chemistry is required for biological courses, it's generally required in addition to Biology.
HAnwar
Rep:
It completely depends on the course. Some science courses allow you to get in with a single science (e.g. quite a few Biology courses allow you to get in with just Biology) but others require a minimum of two sciences. If you do want to go into Biology, you'll need to take Biology A Level. When Chemistry is required for biological courses, it's generally required in addition to Biology.
Do you think it's possible doing Biology and Chemistry AS and A2 both in one year?
Chlorophile
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Do you think it's possible doing Biology and Chemistry AS and A2 both in one year?
It's definitely possible in principle. I don't know whether you'll be able to pull it off - that completely depends on you!
HAnwar
Rep:
It's definitely possible in principle. I don't know whether you'll be able to pull it off - that completely depends on you!
I really want to do it, and I believe I can. But I need to find a place that will let me do both.

Thanks though!
Robin55
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I found Biology much more enjoyable than Chemistry at AS, but Chemistry is lighter by means of workload. Like above comments said, it completely depends on what you wish to pursue as whether chemistry or biology is in the question. If i had to choose, i'd say Biology. Good Luck in whatever you do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (54)
65.06%
No (23)
27.71%
I didn't use it to prepare (6)
7.23%

Watched Threads