rubycrystal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hi, my friend wanted to take triple science as one of her gcse options but her head of year said she couldnt take triple science because her levels were to low.
Also the head of year said to her if she gats a high level in core science in the first term she will move her u to doing triple.
and the head of year said anyone who underperforms in triple science she will move them down to core science
1) if my friend gets good levels in core science within the first few weeks is it possible the head of year could move her up to doing triple science
2) if anyone is underperforming in triple science is it possible the head of year could move that person down to doing core science
3)also do you have to take triple science at gcse if you want to be a dentist
4)do the options you choose at gcses effect the career you want to do in the future or does it effect A level choices
5)please help- what exactly should you learn to get really high levels in science such as level 7 or 8
thanks
username943595
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Um I can't really answer 1 and 2, however I would suggest taking triple if you want to be a dentist as you'll have a better understanding at GCSE and then A level wouldn't be as hard. They don't really look at your GCSE's when applying to University - it's all about the A levels.
EloiseStar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rubycrystal)
hi, my friend wanted to take triple science as one of her gcse options but her head of year said she couldnt take triple science because her levels were to low.

1)- if my friend gets good levels in core science within the first few weeks is it possible the head of year could move her up to doing triple science
2) if anyone is underperforming in triple science is it possible the head of year could move that person down to doing core science
3)also do you have to take triple science at gcse if you want to be a dentist
4)do the options you choose at gcses effect the career you want to do in the future or does it effect A level choices
thanks
1) there will probably very little assessment in the first few weeks. Dependent on what topics are covered it may be possible to move on to triple science but there could be different exam boards. I would say once you've been denied triple science, you won't be doing it. Ask if this is possible. You'll never know if you don't ask, plus it will show your commitment and desire to do it.
2) no. Core science isn't easier per say. Think of it as core science doing 4 topics in 3 biology, chemistry and physics and triple science doing 6 topics. That is how it was at my school. The work load is less, not necessarily easier. You would just get a lower grade.
3) at my school you required triple science to do any science subject at a-level which you need for dentistry. So yes.
4) it may affect you a-level choices, for example you may not be allowed to do a-level history or geography if you never did it at GCSE. Some universities will let you on their course if you have no a-level in the subject but they're not typically great universities.

Question 4 is a little vague so if you were more specific I could try and give you a better answer.

My answers are given from my experience at my school doing triple science and mentoring/teaching it to double award students.
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Double science would be just as well as triple science - remember that.
Triple science is rather difficult and a lot is needed to revise upon.
You should learn all the topics your teachers give you and revise it persistently and learn from mistakes. You should also pay attention in class to gain understanding, then apply your understanding in whatever form you can learn to memorise the information.
I wanted to do triple science :/ What level is she at?
rubycrystal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by inachigeek21)
Double science would be just as well as triple science - remember that.
Triple science is rather difficult and a lot is needed to revise upon.
You should learn all the topics your teachers give you and revise it persistently and learn from mistakes. You should also pay attention in class to gain understanding, then apply your understanding in whatever form you can learn to memorise the information.
I wanted to do triple science :/ What level is she at?
she is a level 5 and she had to be at least a low level 6 to do triple science
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rubycrystal)
she is a level 5 and she had to be at least a low level 6 to do triple science
Ah. What's your exam board for science? Does she know her learning style? Does she revise? Learn from mistakes? Understand topics in class, meaning paying full attention?
Pm if you need to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed