StudyMunchkin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What are the best subjects to study at A- levels if wanting to peruse a career in law (apart from english and english language).

Also does anyone have any advice/ tips on things I should do which will benefit me in the future when applying for law at uni (in and out of school).

Thanks, any help will be much appreciated!!
LawSam
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any subject you're good at. 3As in random subjects is better than 3Ds in subjects you think will impress unis.

But it's easier to take things that you can point to why you want to do law in your personal statement. For instance you could have taken history A-level, learnt about the atrocities at Auchwitz and since then have a great desire to become a human rights lawyer and fight inequality.

At the end of the day it's the grades that matter more than the subjects so long as the subjects are traditional and not things like critical thinking, general studies, applied science, photography and the like.

Work experience in the legal sector will benefit you when applying to unis for law and when you're applying to firms for training contracts in the future
Jacketh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LawSam is right in saying that study any subject you're good at. Make sure that you enjoy the subject as well. An impessive personal statement and relevant work experience are more important than subjects with Law. Obviously the required grades help as well.

That said, it would be a help if you had at least one essay based subject. Typically, law applicants will study subjects such as History, Religious Studies, Government and Politics and English Literature. It is easier to link these subjects in the PS and say what skills you've learnt by studying them and how this can help with studying Law and make you a perfect Law student.

But yeah, subjects don't matter too much as long as they're not deemed weak. (Health and Social, for example). Having essay subjects may give a slight advantage, but no uni certainly will be shunning Science subjects and Maths, for example.

In terms of tips.

- Extra curricular inside school stuff always helps and can be linked in the PS to pretty much any skill. Debating team? Student council? - Just helps strengthen your applicant that bit more.

- Do you have any interest in charities? A lot of law graduates will end up working with charities depending on what route you go down. Volunteering with charities such as Stonewall or Save the Children.

- Work experience and open days. Work experience is quite a biggy. Law is a competitive field and having work experience at some firms could help a lot. Again, the skills you've learnt (or claim you have ) can be linked in the PS. Going to Law open days that some firms put on is another one.

- Just grab anything offered to you. A blinding personal statement could provide vital in a subject like Law. Don't leave it until the summer before applying to start doing things.
StudyMunchkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by LawSam)
Any subject you're good at. 3As in random subjects is better than 3Ds in subjects you think will impress unis.

But it's easier to take things that you can point to why you want to do law in your personal statement. For instance you could have taken history A-level, learnt about the atrocities at Auchwitz and since then have a great desire to become a human rights lawyer and fight inequality.

At the end of the day it's the grades that matter more than the subjects so long as the subjects are traditional and not things like critical thinking, general studies, applied science, photography and the like.

Work experience in the legal sector will benefit you when applying to unis for law and when you're applying to firms for training contracts in the future
Thank a lot for the response, that's really helpful. Would you say subjects like Sociology, Economics and psychology Would be useful?
StudyMunchkin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jacketh)
LawSam is right in saying that study any subject you're good at. Make sure that you enjoy the subject as well. An impessive personal statement and relevant work experience are more important than subjects with Law. Obviously the required grades help as well.

That said, it would be a help if you had at least one essay based subject. Typically, law applicants will study subjects such as History, Religious Studies, Government and Politics and English Literature. It is easier to link these subjects in the PS and say what skills you've learnt by studying them and how this can help with studying Law and make you a perfect Law student.

But yeah, subjects don't matter too much as long as they're not deemed weak. (Health and Social, for example). Having essay subjects may give a slight advantage, but no uni certainly will be shunning Science subjects and Maths, for example.

In terms of tips.

- Extra curricular inside school stuff always helps and can be linked in the PS to pretty much any skill. Debating team? Student council? - Just helps strengthen your applicant that bit more.

- Do you have any interest in charities? A lot of law graduates will end up working with charities depending on what route you go down. Volunteering with charities such as Stonewall or Save the Children.

- Work experience and open days. Work experience is quite a biggy. Law is a competitive field and having work experience at some firms could help a lot. Again, the skills you've learnt (or claim you have ) can be linked in the PS. Going to Law open days that some firms put on is another one.

- Just grab anything offered to you. A blinding personal statement could provide vital in a subject like Law. Don't leave it until the summer before applying to start doing things.
Thanks, that is really helpful, I will look into some work experience placements straight away!
LawSam
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by StudyMunchkin)
Thank a lot for the response, that's really helpful. Would you say subjects like Sociology, Economics and psychology Would be useful?
As they are quite highly regarded A-levels (at least economics and psychology, I have no idea about sociology), I'd say if you enjoy them and are likely to do well then go for it.

I had friends who took all the sciences because their parents wanted them to. They didn't enjoy them and they weren't particularly very good at them. And they weren't willing to work really hard at them.

A levels are a lot more work than GCSE, so pick what you enjoy, what you will work at. Economics would probably be very useful for a lawyer in terms of being able to demonstrate you have some commercial awareness! I know psychology is at least partly an essay subject so that'll definitely help you actually doing your degree.
LeFailFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by StudyMunchkin)
What are the best subjects to study at A- levels if wanting to peruse a career in law (apart from english and english language).

Also does anyone have any advice/ tips on things I should do which will benefit me in the future when applying for law at uni (in and out of school).

Thanks, any help will be much appreciated!!
Most Law schools are happy with 3 or 4 strong, well-regarded subjects. Typical choices would be English, the sciences, History, Economics and foreign languages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (20)
6.92%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.03%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.68%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.14%

Watched Threads