The Student Room Group

Med students- Do you have to work hard all day, every day?

Reply 1

Studying smart is better than studying hard. I've managed with doing nothing during the week (except when there's coursework) and going over the lectures and topics in the weekend.

Mind you, I just finished 1st year, so I don't know if it's more difficult later on.

Also, that bit on medicine in that article is pretty inaccurate. You still have to prepare really well for your interviews even after you graduate, especially if you are aiming for really competitive specialties/places.
(edited 9 years ago)
I try to work smart rather than hard. Often that involves working very hard, but not always.

I remember people during pre-clin (years 1 & 2 of med school) obsessing over every single group work, turning up to every single 8 AM lecture...well, I didn't. I don't find lectures to be an effective way to learn so I wouldn't usually go. But you can bet that I'd still cover the content which was being taught in my own time and in a way which maximised my own learning!

During exam time I work pretty intensely. The rest of the year I just try to keep a good pace going e.g. doing a bit of reading or PassMedicine questions every night.

Pre-clinical medicine is way more intense than clinical medicine in my opinion; clinical medicine is a lot like an apprenticeship. You'll end up learning a lot simply by turning up, being a keen observer and taking advantage of opportunities to do new things.

Med school can be tough, long, stressful etc but it doesn't have to kill you!
Reply 3
Original post by Wolfy^
Studying smart is better than studying hard. I've managed with doing nothing during the week (except when there's coursework) and going over the lectures and topics in the weekend.

Mind you, I just finished 1st year, so I don't know if it's more difficult later on.

Also, that bit on medicine in that article is pretty inaccurate. You still have to prepare really well for your interviews even after you graduate, especially if you are aiming for really competitive specialties/places.

Haha I know you can tell that article is written for entertainment. And really? Just doing weekend work and a bit during weekdays?

How does the workload compare to A Levels? ANd which med school do you got to?

I'm just trying to get a good overview before I decide I want to 100% study medicine:smile:
Reply 4
No. There's a lot of information and you need to figure out effective ways for YOU to learn it. You work as much as you need to in order to be competent/pass exams, that's it. If you can work efficiently you can work a surprisingly small amount, if you can't you can end up working every day.

That article is completely fallacious, ignore it. The people on most Medicine courses are interesting, varied, and are definitely not anti-social. Medical students have been interviewed to determine the level of their interpersonal skills and therefore these "oddballs" or "psychotics" should be in the minority.

The workload is greater than A Levels, but, the content is at about the same level. IMO, work little and often.
Whoever wrote that article clearly isn't aware of FPAS. Employment is so high because its planned so that every graduate has a job to go straight into, not because its such a difficult course.
Reply 6
Original post by 2en1
Haha I know you can tell that article is written for entertainment. And really? Just doing weekend work and a bit during weekdays?

How does the workload compare to A Levels? ANd which med school do you got to?

I'm just trying to get a good overview before I decide I want to 100% study medicine:smile:

What I've found out so far is that everyone has very, very different styles when studying. I know some people that revise every lecture we had that day when they get home, and I know people who don't even touch lecture slides until exams come up. Like other people have said in this thread, it's what works for you specifically.

I wouldn't know how it compares to A levels since I'm not a UK student.
Reply 7
I'm just going to be slightly pedantic for the sake of the thread and point out that the article doesn't employ the word 'hard' in the offending sentence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending