The Student Room Group

Professional Skills Tests

Hello

Would anybody be able to tell me how similar the real tests are compared to the practice ones provided online? Are any of the questions the same?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke_2112
Hello

Would anybody be able to tell me how similar the real tests are compared to the practice ones provided online? Are any of the questions the same?

Luke

The format is the same but obviously the questions are different. They are similar kinds of questions though.
I did mine on Friday. Some questions I found easier than the practice questions, some were a touch harder. I didn't have any questions the same as the practice ones on the.gov website, however, a few were similar, just with different numbers or percentages.
Original post by Luke_2112
Hello

Luke

The layout is the same, the questions are different but I will be honest, I found them easier than the practise ones. I was terrified of taking the tests as I am not good at mental maths, I was so scared! But, I took them last week and passed them both first time, I honestly didnt think I woud. I think you hype it up so much because its a must and it basically dictates whether or not ypou get on the course, but, its really not that scary. If you put in the effort and revise plenty, do plenty of practise, you will be fine xx Good luck xx
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies guys!!! How was the spelling part of the test?
As im a tad confused, when do you take the tests? is it before you start the course or at the beginning of it?
Original post by Jay018
As im a tad confused, when do you take the tests? is it before you start the course or at the beginning of it?

You have to have passed the tests before you start the course :smile:
Original post by swarfliam
You have to have passed the tests before you start the course :smile:

But ive heard of people, failing them, but still going on and doing the course, but then they get another chance a year or two down the line and retaking them...
Original post by Jay018
But ive heard of people, failing them, but still going on and doing the course, but then they get another chance a year or two down the line and retaking them...

You have 3 attempts. If you fail all three you cannot start teacher training or apply again for 2 years. Once your two years are up you can take the test again and apply for teacher training. However the same rules apply, if you fail 3 times you are locked out for 2 more yrs.
Original post by Jay018

That was for people who started their courses before September 2013. The DfE changed the rules from this date and you must now pass them before you are offered a place on a teacher training course.

People who started courses before Sept 2013 have to take these test either during or at the end of their course and therefore if they unfortunately fail them they can still go on and complete their course but they will qualify without QTS and will not be able to resit the tests for 2 years.
Original post by Subat
You have 3 attempts. If you fail all three you cannot start teacher training or apply again for 2 years. Once your two years are up you can take the test again and apply for teacher training. However the same rules apply, if you fail 3 times you are locked out for 2 more yrs.

Ah okay, thanks for this, so how would i go about taking these tests? do i talk with the people at my college or someone else to get doing them?
Original post by claretmad
That was for people who started their courses before September 2013. The DfE changed the rules from this date and you must now pass them before you are offered a place on a teacher training course.

People who started courses before Sept 2013 have to take these test either during or at the end of their course and therefore if they unfortunately fail them they can still go on and complete their course but they will qualify without QTS and will not be able to resit the tests for 2 years.

Ah okay, this makes things more clear now, thanks for this! :smile: how do i go abouts doing them then?
Original post by Jay018
Ah okay, this makes things more clear now, thanks for this! :smile: how do i go abouts doing them then?

Before you can sit these tests you will need to have a conditional offer of a place on a teacher training course from the course provider. You will need to provide evidence of this application when you attend the test centre.

For more information and for practice tests then look here:

http://www.education.gov.uk/sta/professional
Before you can sit these tests you will need to have a conditional offer of a place on a teacher training course from the course provider. You will need to provide evidence of this application when you attend the test centre.

Okay, thanks very much, has made it lots clearer now. :smile:

Do you happen to know what i would have to do if i fail my maths and pass my english? do i just retake my maths and not do my english again?
Original post by Jay018
Do you happen to know what i would have to do if i fail my maths and pass my english? do i just retake my maths and not do my english again?

For this scenario any pass is valid for 3 years so you just take the numeracy again after the 2 year lock out period. If you again fail the numeracy after 3 attempts then you will either have to sit them both again in another 2 years or give up all together and consider another career.
For this scenario any pass is valid for 3 years so you just take the numeracy again after the 2 year lock out period. If you again fail the numeracy after 3 attempts then you will either have to sit them both again in another 2 years or give up all together and consider another career.

Okay, thanks, so if i have to pass both be be able to take the course, one isnt enough to enable me to do so?
Original post by Jay018
Okay, thanks, so if i have to pass both be be able to take the course, one isnt enough to enable me to do so?

Passing both of these tests are a prerequisite to being accepted onto an ITT course. Think of it like the driving test where you have to have passed the theory test before you can apply for the practical. Same principle.
Passing both of these tests are a prerequisite to being accepted onto an ITT course. Think of it like the driving test where you have to have passed the theory test before you can apply for the practical. Same principle.

Ah okay, thanks, do need to brush up on a few things first as if found where my weaknesses are by doing the practice tests online. but with that i dont think it would be an issue. thanks again for all the info
Original post by Jay018
Ah okay, thanks, do need to brush up on a few things first as if found where my weaknesses are by doing the practice tests online. but with that i dont think it would be an issue. thanks again for all the info

Revision is the key and plenty of it. People say that the actual tests are slightly easier than the practice tests but I can't vouch for that as I have never sat them. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending