Turn on thread page Beta

Rap N Its Invluence watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farrdango)
    Rap teaches...

Rap with its lyrics sends the messages of crime! -Right? Messages to the young invluencing their lifes. Chnging life styles...actions and thoughts. Saying whats right and whats right in the world. To do in the world. Life of gangstas fill their minds, our minds. -Right?

Rap tells of their lifes, rapers lifes. Lifes of the streets. Never to do but always of what happended. The lyrics say to keep with it, become a man or woman with freedoms...with friends and family... giving to the world something good. -Right?

Judge my words. Correct my thoughts.

-oh...yea i know i spelled influence wrong-
    What are you waffling on anout? Yes Tupac was a lyrical genius, now go away...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    I must admit I don't mind a bit of Cypress Hill, but still not for the lyrics, they just carry a really good beat and make you pay attention. I like that. I guess they're quite rocky in their influences. But none of those other acts do anything for me, even Beasties, who I am supposed to like apparently. To be fair I find music a priority, but their lyrics are very rarely what could be described as poetic, which I guess is what I see as the sign of good lyrics.
    Jurassic 5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaylord Queer)
    What are you waffling on anout? Yes Tupac was a lyrical genius, now go away...
    and there's a "melody" to the thugz mansion... hmmm i've only heard of the acoustic version though

ReputationRep:
    There are few really great rappers who had a unique way with words. When Eminem is going on about wife beating he can be one, Tupac is another. A lot of the rap at the moment is pop music.
    I'm not a hardcore fan of rap, I just think that some suff does show tallent. Tupac makes some very bold statements about racism in America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    I don't get rap fans' argument. You tell them that it's not even music, with music requiring a melody, etc, so they tell you it's about the lyrics, yet the lyrics are shallow, crude and obvious. Rock music provides both deep, thought provoking lyrics and a tune you can hum along, so what's the attraction of rap?
    I have to agree rock is something most people can relate to and rap is the kind of music that most people can not relate to im sorry i dont care what anyone says not everyone lives in the ghetto and not everyone heres gun shots everynight............and yet people listen to the music and are like thats exactly how my life is and i really doubt it.... (just my oppinion)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Why are all these lyrics you use as examples from Eminem's second album??? Eminem is essentially nothing more than a glorified pop star who is using rap as his leg up. He does what he is told to do, performs where he is told to etc. De La Soul: now there is some good rap, Run DMC is another good example. Eminem and the rest aren't rap, they are pop. Look at the film clips.
    To tell the truth, I really like these songs. Plus, I was listening to them when I put them up that day. The first song is a good example on how kids take what these artists do and say as something that they themslef will be good to do and say. It was like a bonus... :rolleyes:

The second song...I just see the beginning part to really deal with this conversation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotrobsessed524)
    I have to agree rock is something most people can relate to and rap is the kind of music that most people can not relate to im sorry i dont care what anyone says not everyone lives in the ghetto and not everyone heres gun shots everynight............and yet people listen to the music and are like thats exactly how my life is and i really doubt it.... (just my oppinion)
    Yea, not everyone lives that way...you are actualy correct about onething. But saying rap is music that no one realates to, you are living in a little box. If no one relate to rap, it would not be so big of a business. Rap is listened to... I believe, all over the world. It might not really be ALL OVER the world, but I have heard rap song in different languages. If rap was really crap, that would not be possible.

............and yet people listen to the music and are like thats exactly how my life is and i really doubt it.... (just my oppinion)

Can you explain this a little more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farrdango)
    Yea, not everyone lives that way...you are actualy correct about onething. But saying rap is music that no one realates to, you are living in a little box. If no one relate to rap, it would not be so big of a business. Rap is listened to... I believe, all over the world. It might not really be ALL OVER the world, but I have heard rap song in different languages. If rap was really crap, that would not be possible.

Can you explain this a little more.
    I mean that people try to change there lives to be more like what the artists are saying i mean i know people who are in very good living conditions or w/e and when they listen to rap with there friends and stuff they change there i dont know how to say it life i guess................like this one girl she live right next door to me and although we dont live in the best neighbor hood in the world its no ghetto and she went to school and her and a bunch of friends where listening to the radio and this rap song comes on and she says ooooo this is my song its telling the story of my life oooooo i live in the ghetto and i had to stop my-self from going ove there and saying what a lie.....(im probably making no since so u can just ignore this post whenu read it)

ReputationRep:
    I mean that people try to change there lives to be more like what the artists are saying i mean i know people who are in very good living conditions or w/e and when they listen to rap with there friends and stuff they change there i dont know how to say it life i guess................like this one girl she live right next door to me and although we dont live in the best neighbor hood in the world its no ghetto and she went to school and her and a bunch of friends where listening to the radio and this rap song comes on and she says ooooo this is my song its telling the story of my life oooooo i live in the ghetto and i had to stop my-self from going ove there and saying what a lie.....(im probably making no since so u can just ignore this post whenu read it)
    Oh and im not saying all people are like this im just saying some are so dont get me wrong i dontthink rap is crap i just think i myself can not relate to it

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you are getting at this. This girl next door may not know all about the ghetto. Really no one does...except for the Jews who were put into ghettos, and thats really how ghettos started. Anyways...this girl might believe that she is in the ghetto. The ghetto could be moe than where you live, more like how you live. She may be struggling in ways that are mental, spiritual, and maybe only a little physical. Understand?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.