The Student Room Group

Orthoptics 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hannahc745
Hi guys it is so good to see an orthoptics thread on here! I am hoping to apply for sheffield.

Hi what a levels are you doing ? And u started u PS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Hi all!

Just wondering what everybody got in bio because I didn't do to great and I'm scared that will hurt my application
Reply 22
Original post by letsa
Hi all!

Just wondering what everybody got in bio because I didn't do to great and I'm scared that will hurt my application

I'm applying too!:smile:
I got a c in biology.. planning on retaking an exam to see what i can do about that c however
Reply 23
How's every bodies personal statement coming along?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ray96
I'm currently on a gap year and deciding between pharmacy and orthoptics. What do you guys think of the salary 21k starting would you say that's reasonable?

Me too! But I think I'd enjoy orthoptics so much more because pharmacy is just too much chemistry :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! I'm a gap year student, and I've already applied with my achieved grades. I didn't apply for uni at all last year, as I previously wanted to do medicine, but my chemistry AS grade let me down a bit, so I decided to wait it out a bit :smile:

Obviously, since there's only three unis in the country that do orthoptics, I applied to all three, hoping somewhere would take me hahaha. I just got an unconditional from Liverpool, but I'm yet to visit, so I'll have to see how I like it when I visit soon (although it's very far from London :frown:)

I went to Sheffield last year, and FELL. IN. LOVE. so if they offer me an interview and place, chances are some of you guys would see there next year :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Original post by doryfor
I'm applying too!:smile:
I got a c in biology.. planning on retaking an exam to see what i can do about that c however

Just bare in mind that if you are retaking, I think one of the unis asks for you to achieve ABB overall. so be careful and look into that :smile:
Original post by letsa
Hey yeah I think we are in the same boat there, fingers crossed good luck!

Hi, I'm a second year orthoptics student at sheffield uni. A few girls in my year got accepted with grade C biology a levels, not too sure on their other grades though but as long as your other grades are high i think you should be ok!
Original post by ray96
I'm currently on a gap year and deciding between pharmacy and orthoptics. What do you guys think of the salary 21k starting would you say that's reasonable?

Hi I'm a second year sheffield orthoptics student :smile:
21k (lowest you can get paid- the highest in band 5 is 27K) is a great first salary considering you go straight into the job..quite literally, last year third years graduated in the june july time and all those that i know were working by mid august in an eye clinic!

It has been known that graduates can get band 6 jobs (25k-34k) coming straight out of university but this is rare and you must be something special for them to want you!...but its a possibility
Hi! Do you know anyone who got onto the course after leaving a different one at a different Uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah i know of many people who have completed a degree and then came to study at sheffield and i know of one who dropped out of optom and is now studying at sheffield.
Original post by orthoptics123
yeah i know of many people who have completed a degree and then came to study at sheffield and i know of one who dropped out of optom and is now studying at sheffield.

How easy is it to get a job at a hospital close to home?
I have an interview for orthoptics :smile: anything I should be aware of and how is the interview? It says there are 3 mini interviews all lasting 5 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm a second year sheffield orthoptics student :smile:
21k (lowest you can get paid- the highest in band 5 is 27K) is a great first salary considering you go straight into the job..quite literally, last year third years graduated in the june july time and all those that i know were working by mid august in an eye clinic!

It has been known that graduates can get band 6 jobs (25k-34k) coming straight out of university but this is rare and you must be something special for them to want you!...but its a possibility

Hey, I have an interview at Sheffield at the end of this month, and was just wondering if you have any advice on what they're looking for and how the interviews are set out? They've already said there will be three 5-minute interviews; any other tips would really be appreciated :biggrin:
Interviews must definitely be new as I never had to do one that's for sure so I cannot comment on that.
Just be yourself, the lecturers are lovely and so easy to talk to you, any nerves you feel will disappear
Original post by yaknow 66
How easy is it to get a job at a hospital close to home?
I have an interview for orthoptics :smile: anything I should be aware of and how is the interview? It says there are 3 mini interviews all lasting 5 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were no interviews when I was applying, must be showing the growing popularity of the course having to now use them.
It depends where home is, more competition for jobs up North because all three universities are up North but if you get a good grade you should be fine. It certainly shouldn't put you off the degree at all
There were no interviews when I was applying, must be showing the growing popularity of the course having to now use them.
It depends where home is, more competition for jobs up North because all three universities are up North but if you get a good grade you should be fine. It certainly shouldn't put you off the degree at all

Cool thank you :smile:
What's the career/salary progression like if you know?whats the money like compared to optom?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool thank you :smile:
What's the career/salary progression like if you know?whats the money like compared to optom?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you google it there's a good website called prospects which tells you all you need to know
Hi I have just sent away my application for Orthoptics! Sheffield is definitely my first choice! Does everyone get an interview?
Hi I have just sent away my application for Orthoptics! Sheffield is definitely my first choice! Does everyone get an interview?

Nice :smile: and I think so my personal statement was based on optometry so I don't know what to say at the interview :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice :smile: and I think so my personal statement was based on optometry so I don't know what to say at the interview :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

When is ur interview? when did you send away your ucas?
just say that you are passionate about both aspects Good Luck for your interview! :smile:
When is ur interview? when did you send away your ucas?
just say that you are passionate about both aspects Good Luck for your interview! :smile:

26th November and sent it off on like 29th October
Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending