The Student Room Group

A Level choices help please... Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Basically, I got my GCSE results back today, I got 8 A*s (maths, maths iGCSE, chemistry, biology, physics, French, RE, French), 3As (English Language, economics and history) and a B (English literature) as well as a credit in ICT (but I did that in year eight).

Now I'm stuck on what to take at A level. I'm almost definite on maths, chemistry and biology. But for my fourth subject I'm stuck between French, economics, history and philosophy. I'm also considering further maths.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of any of these subjects? And also maybe give me an idea on the workload and any other relevant information please?

Thanks, Lauren :biggrin: x

(P.S. To anyone else who's also looking for A level choice help feel free to post in this.)
I am a history enthusiast, so I am probably biased here. But, History is a very good subject, and I think it will provide a good balance to your STEM subjects- it will show you are academically well rounded. It is also a facilitating, or 'traditional subject' as the Russell Group refers to them, and so it will be seen in a better light than Philosophy, but probably on par with French, and maybe Economics (though the Russell Group's Informed Choices leaflet does not include Economics as facilitating).

I hope I helped, but remember, I have cause to be biased. Lmao.
Reply 2
Okay. Thank you. :smile: My dad thinks economics will be more useful. But I kind of disagree because history uses many different skills. And my mum thinks that I could always learn French outside school and do a course etc. but I think that could be harder.

Quick Reply

Latest