What Is the Best Bank for International, Non-UK Students? Watch

kimmiexsweetie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm a New Yorker that's poised to study at Liverpool for one year.

The banks I have near my accommodation are:

TSB Bank
NatWest
HSBC

When it comes to incoming wire transfer fees (I'd obviously prefer cheap rate), free ATM withdrawals, and no monthly maintenance fees.... which bank would be my best option?

What questions should I ask these banks, as an international student, if I inquire within?

Thanks!
danyxin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm also from the US, studying in London this year. I looked around for international student accounts and NatWest is looking like my best bet. Santander and Barclays also offer them, but Santander requires a £5 monthly fee and the student account page on the Barclays site wasn't very detailed. HSBC only looks like it has a basic account. £5 isn't much, but considering NatWest doesn't require a monthly fee and they don't charge you for ATM withdrawals (unless you're getting foreign cash), I'm probably going to go with them. I don't know anything about wire transfers though, sorry!
kimmiexsweetie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by danyxin)
I'm also from the US, studying in London this year. I looked around for international student accounts and NatWest is looking like my best bet. Santander and Barclays also offer them, but Santander requires a £5 monthly fee and the student account page on the Barclays site wasn't very detailed. HSBC only looks like it has a basic account. £5 isn't much, but considering NatWest doesn't require a monthly fee and they don't charge you for ATM withdrawals (unless you're getting foreign cash), I'm probably going to go with them. I don't know anything about wire transfers though, sorry!
Thanks!! NatWest it is then.

One more question...what will you use for proof of address?
danyxin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kimmiexsweetie)
Thanks!! NatWest it is then.

One more question...what will you use for proof of address?
If you look at the bottom of NatWest's international student account page, there's a list of documents that you can show as proof of address, which if you end up going with another bank, I'm sure they'll accept as well. I'm probably going to call NatWest and see if they'll accept a bank letter from my university as proof of address and enrollment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.48%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (130)
14.56%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.52%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.68%

Watched Threads