JLAG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So i'm studying mental health nursing in september and have been keen to get a few tattoos on my arms and collar bone for a while. I know the deal with piercings and stuff being pulled out etc. but are there any rules about tattoos? Thankyou!
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JLAG)
So i'm studying mental health nursing in september and have been keen to get a few tattoos on my arms and collar bone for a while. I know the deal with piercings and stuff being pulled out etc. but are there any rules about tattoos? Thankyou!
There shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as they aren't offensive or Get in the way of your work (ie gettin them done and having to redress them etc at work).
Plenty of people have tattoos these days!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Callie-X
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on the uni/trust. Some are more accepting, but I've read other guidelines issued by certain institutions that say tattoos are allowed - as long as they can be covered by the uniform.
anon2010
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
there are policies on tattoos in most trusts but since you are doing MH nursing you usually get to wear your own clothes so covering them up should be easy if its your trusts against trust policy..

It would be good to cover them up (if you can) anyway though because even if they are not offensive, psychotic patients may find a meaning in them which may effect their recovery.

I use to do MH nursing and I wore long sleeves on placement to cover a tattoo on my arm. It is a date of birth so technically not offensive but if you have ever seen the film a beautiful mind you can see that a patient could see that as a code and it confuses them even more.

Also speak to your tutor about it (that's what I did), as they are nurses themselves and would know the best way to approach this in the trust that you may be working in.
sunnydespair
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why don't you just not get the tattoos . Waste of money
anon2010
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sunnydespair)
Why don't you just not get the tattoos . Waste of money
I think the issue is that she already has one so that suggestion is not really very helpful.
Also who are you to say what people spend their money on?
sunnydespair
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well just because she has one doesn't mean she has to get anymore tq
drinkupretty
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi I am a nursing assistant in a mental health unit and plenty of nurses there have tattoos including me (just a small one above my wrist though) a fair few have whole sleeves done. Piercings usually have to be taken out but so long as your tats are not offensive (no nudity or swastikas and the like) you should be fine. Probably best not to ink your face though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads