The Student Room Group

Remark for music GCSE- 3 UMS marks away from A*?

I received my GCSE results yesterday and I am very happy with what i got!! For music i achieved an A overall (i was predicted an A*). After checking the grade boundaries I realised I was only 3 UMS points away from an overall A*! My certification said i had '267' UMS points, however the edexcel grade boundaries online said '270' UMS was an A*. Do you suggest I should get a remark in hope of gaining an A*...a different examiner might be more open minded about some answers? I am not trying to sound greedy at all, i am over the moon with an A! I just thought it would be good to get another opinion! Thanks :smile:
First things first, well done! I know you're disappointed because it's below your prediction, but an A is an excellent grade, especially in a subject with grade boundaries as high as Music.

In terms of advice, it's worth a shot. Firstly, I'd check how many raw marks you need in the paper to get the extra 3 UMS marks - it'll help you to judge exactly how likely your A* could be.

3 UMS marks off is always worth a remark; just in case. Obviously, the usual 'don't expect anything from it' and 'prepare to lose your money' warnings apply. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by danconway
First things first, well done! I know you're disappointed because it's below your prediction, but an A is an excellent grade, especially in a subject with grade boundaries as high as Music.

In terms of advice, it's worth a shot. Firstly, I'd check how many raw marks you need in the paper to get the extra 3 UMS marks - it'll help you to judge exactly how likely your A* could be.

3 UMS marks off is always worth a remark; just in case. Obviously, the usual 'don't expect anything from it' and 'prepare to lose your money' warnings apply. Good luck.

Thanks so much for your reply! Yes, I'm really happy with my grade its just so frustrating when you know how close you are to the top grade! Do you have any idea how to check how many raw marks I need...I'm quite bad at these things! Someone told me it may be around 1 or 2 marks however that's just one persons prediction. I think I will definitely try for the remark- luckily my parents are willing to pay the fee :smile: Thanks!!
Original post by alex_1998
Thanks so much for your reply! Yes, I'm really happy with my grade its just so frustrating when you know how close you are to the top grade! Do you have any idea how to check how many raw marks I need...I'm quite bad at these things! Someone told me it may be around 1 or 2 marks however that's just one persons prediction. I think I will definitely try for the remark- luckily my parents are willing to pay the fee :smile: Thanks!!

Yeah, I can certainly imagine how you feel.

Well, if you tell me which exam board you're on and each unit's UMS score, I could tell you how many raw marks you have and need to gain - you can always PM me with that info if you want.

I hope you get that A*! :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah, I can certainly imagine how you feel.

Well, if you tell me which exam board you're on and each unit's UMS score, I could tell you how many raw marks you have and need to gain - you can always PM me with that info if you want.

I hope you get that A*! :smile:

I did the edexcel exam board! I got 91UMS points for the unit 3 exam (the written exam) and overall my score was 267UMS points...I'm sure it was 270 for the A*! That would really help thanks!!! :smile:
Original post by alex_1998
I did the edexcel exam board! I got 91UMS points for the unit 3 exam (the written exam) and overall my score was 267UMS points...I'm sure it was 270 for the A*! That would really help thanks!!! :smile:

Yup, I agree with the other guy! You've got a lot of marks in the paper that are available to make up, and a lot of the questions in Music are ambiguous and may be marked differently by different examiners, and the benefit of the doubt would be in your favour a lot of the time! I think you got around 61/80 - not a bad result at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Congratulations on the A grade! :smile:
Yes, I definitely think you should get a remark. I myself am in a similar situation. I was predicted an A* in my French but came out with a B+, 3 UMS away from an A. I am thinking of getting a remark too. Best of Luck!

Thank you!!! Congratulations on your B grade in French aswell! Its frustrating right...:/ i am definitley going to opt for the remark as i was told by a friend 3 UMS points is equivalent to 1 mark :O you also should go for the remark seeing as you are also so close- good luck and i hope you get that A grade :biggrin:
Reply 7
Yup, I agree with the other guy! You've got a lot of marks in the paper that are available to make up, and a lot of the questions in Music are ambiguous and may be marked differently by different examiners, and the benefit of the doubt would be in your favour a lot of the time! I think you got around 61/80 - not a bad result at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, thats great to hear- very reassuring!! Thanks so much for your advice, I'm definitely going for the remark now ☺️
Reply 8
WHAT?!? 3 UMS is equivalent to 1 mark! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Your sure?

I really hope so!! I cant say I'm 100% sure but I've heard from around 4 people that it's correct!!
Reply 9
I think it may be 2 marks...
My exam board for French is AQA.
On the AQA website, there is a Raw to UMS marks table which (as far as I can tell) shows that 3 UMS is 2 raw marks.??:confused:

If you do find out, please post it here! Thanks

Not sure whether it will be different for differnet exam boards...i presume so. I did edexcel music and i think the ums converter showed 3 ums to be around 1-2 marks! I will let you know if i find out more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest