sarah385
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So yesterday got my results I got an A* for Biology and an A for English lit but I think for English lit I was harshly marked but I know an A is still ok. I like both but in your opinion which one do you think is the least challenging and which one requires more work I love written subjects but equally I love Biology because its literally just memory (well it was for gcse anyway) but I dont want to do both as I think it'll just get ontop of me. My other choices are History, Sociology and Psychology
ScarletXxXRose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
well since you like both subjects
the main question you need to be asking, is what do you want to do when your older? what uni course? and which subjects are going to get you there?
loperdoper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"I love Biology because its literally just memory (well it was for gcse anyway)"
[shakes head so hard it falls off]

A level Biology requires a lot more application of knowledge. There's still a lot of memory involved, but there's more to it at A level
LeFailFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sarah385)
So yesterday got my results I got an A* for Biology and an A for English lit but I think for English lit I was harshly marked but I know an A is still ok. I like both but in your opinion which one do you think is the least challenging and which one requires more work I love written subjects but equally I love Biology because its literally just memory (well it was for gcse anyway) but I dont want to do both as I think it'll just get ontop of me. My other choices are History, Sociology and Psychology
Take English. AS and A-level Biology involves memory, application, statistics and an awful lot of hard work. You would probably be able to do it, but if your enjoyment of the subject comes from it being just memorisation then you won't enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JonnyD
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did both, though dropped English Lit after AS (got a B)

The jump between GCSE and AS is huge for both, and both had a huge drop out rate between AS and A2.

English Lit demands a lot more detail in answers than at GCSE and furthermore your answers have to be original to get the high marks. You really need to be someone who can read a text and engage with it as well as an avid reader. English Lit also takes up a hell of a lot of your time, as you need to keep up on texts and think about them.

Biology also demands a lot more detail in answers. There is a lot of memory, but also a lot of application of knowledge. The amount of knew vocab is ridiculous, but if you can engage with the subject and be organised it's not too hard to keep on top of. I heard somewhere that you learn more new words in A level Biology than in A level French. I'd advise against doing biology if you are not doing A level chemistry as a lot of knowledge from chemistry is used in biology.

In terms of which is harder, I'd say it depends on the sort of person you are. If you are better at forming coherant arguments and engaging with texts, go for English Lit. If you are better at learning lots of stuff and have a real interest in it, biology is the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sam_xox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What is a level biology like?
I'm considering picking it but I'm not so sure anymore...

Posted from TSR Mobile
sarah385
Rep:
?
(Original post by JonnyD)
I did both, though dropped English Lit after AS (got a B)

The jump between GCSE and AS is huge for both, and both had a huge drop out rate between AS and A2.

English Lit demands a lot more detail in answers than at GCSE and furthermore your answers have to be original to get the high marks. You really need to be someone who can read a text and engage with it as well as an avid reader. English Lit also takes up a hell of a lot of your time, as you need to keep up on texts and think about them.

Biology also demands a lot more detail in answers. There is a lot of memory, but also a lot of application of knowledge. The amount of knew vocab is ridiculous, but if you can engage with the subject and be organised it's not too hard to keep on top of. I heard somewhere that you learn more new words in A level Biology than in A level French. I'd advise against doing biology if you are not doing A level chemistry as a lot of knowledge from chemistry is used in biology.

In terms of which is harder, I'd say it depends on the sort of person you are. If you are better at forming coherant arguments and engaging with texts, go for English Lit. If you are better at learning lots of stuff and have a real interest in it, biology is the way to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your response was very helpful tanx! Yes I heard the same thing about Biology having more new vocab than French :/ With Lit is it like in the exam picking out a quote and then really analysing it to a great detail or is there more?? May I ask what did you get at GCSE English Lit?
sarah385
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScarletXxXRose)
well since you like both subjects
the main question you need to be asking, is what do you want to do when your older? what uni course? and which subjects are going to get you there?
Well I want to be a teacher so think English lit would be more beneficial what do u think?
LeFailFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sam_xox)
What is a level biology like?
I'm considering picking it but I'm not so sure anymore...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like any A-level it's challenging but it was my favourite AS subject. The course (on AQA) is a mix of elaboration on GCSE topics and completely new ideas. There's more memorisation than the majority of subjects require but also a lot of application, which makes it interesting. If you enjoyed GCSE Biology you should enjoy the A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sam_xox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks!
Anyone do or done AS (ocr) Biology?

Experience, tips, advice? I'm desperate!;D

Posted from TSR Mobile
JonnyD
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sam_xox)
Thanks!
Anyone do or done AS (ocr) Biology?

Experience, tips, advice? I'm desperate!;D

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did OCR - just make sure you learn the key words and have a solid grasp of a level chemistry basics and you should be fine.

The hardest thing is knowing which words to use as the mark schemes are always very specific

Posted from TSR Mobile
JonnyD
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your response was very helpful tanx! Yes I heard the same thing about Biology having more new vocab than French :/ With Lit is it like in the exam picking out a quote and then really analysing it to a great detail or is there more?? May I ask what did you get at GCSE English Lit?
Yeah you need to use quotes and analyse them - we still use PEEL. You just have to analyse them to greater detail and infer more from them. Linking to the question is vital.

The questions at A level are very different at GCSE. At GCSE you can almost pre prepare answers and regurgitate them in the exam. At A level they are much less predictable and require real thought. You might be asked "how does the writer use time in novel X?" They're often quite broad.

I got an A at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
sarah385
Rep:
?
(Original post by JonnyD)
Yeah you need to use quotes and analyse them - we still use PEEL. You just have to analyse them to greater detail and infer more from them. Linking to the question is vital.

The questions at A level are very different at GCSE. At GCSE you can almost pre prepare answers and regurgitate them in the exam. At A level they are much less predictable and require real thought. You might be asked "how does the writer use time in novel X?" They're often quite broad.

I got an A at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've been really helpful tanx!
JonnyD
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You've been really helpful tanx!
It's okai :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.68%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.59%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.83%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (52)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (129)
19.63%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.78%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed