The Student Room Group

Is an A at GCSE good?

I hear loads of people complain about getting an A instead of an A* admittedly I am that sort of person purely because of other people striving for an A* and then feeling down with an A. Your thoughts?
An A is good, yes.
It's good :yep:
Well I got 6 A's and 2 A* and it has to be stressed how fantastic both grades are; at the end of the day the * is purely prestige and the lack of which doesn't make the grade any less excellent. (Especially bearing in mind how generally poor results were this year.)
Reply 4
Imo, an A* is a really terrible grade.

If you're able to get 395/400 or 198/200 UMS, then that's good.
Original post by sarah385
I hear loads of people complain about getting an A instead of an A* admittedly I am that sort of person purely because of other people striving for an A* and then feeling down with an A. Your thoughts?

No.

It's very good :wink:
Well I got 4 A's 3B's when I was expecting 2 A* from those based on the past papers and my teachers predictions, put in the work... But na, no LSE for me... lol
the Late O level A is equivalent to an A* and A...at gcse, I read somewhere. So I don't think they're terrible, but then again:tongue:ersonal expectations can easily leave you pissed of and annoyed. Like me lol
(edited 9 years ago)
If you decide to go to university many of the top ones will take a look at your GCSE results, and the focus is usually (but not exclusively) on the number of As and A*s :smile: so yes getting As at GCSE is a great achievement and this is well-recognised!
An A is great, they were just predicted more A* or were striving for A* and got As instead.
OMG an A! What an awful grade - A for Awful! This way you'll never get into a good Uni.
I'm of course being sarcastic. You could go to Oxbridge with A's you know. Stop worrying and celebrate, Uni's will fall head over heels in love with your results.
Reply 10
Original post by constantino_chr
Well I got 6 A's and 2 A* and it has to be stressed how fantastic both grades are; at the end of the day the * is purely prestige and the lack of which doesn't make the grade any less excellent. (Especially bearing in mind how generally poor results were this year.)

Congrats on your results and I agree with what you've said but this years GCSE results were better than other years in the past. They weren't generally poor. There were more *'s this year than any on record....

Posted from TSR Mobile
nah a U is better than an A and A*, we should all aim for U's.
An A is good. I'm disappointed I got an A with a few things though
An A is good :smile:
Original post by EastGuava
Yes, it's good. Not great.

Studying Grade 8 Practical and Grade 7 Theory, but didn't get necessary grade GCSE Level in Music.
Anybody have any ideas how I can progress forwards as nowhere in my area to retake music exam.
Original post by PhysGeek
Congrats on your results and I agree with what you've said but this years GCSE results were better than other years in the past. They weren't generally poor. There were more *'s this year than any on record....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really, I didn't know! That's great then. But I know loads of people under-performed in the sense that they did well but were capable of much better.
Original post by sarah385

Yes, it's good. People are just complaining because it's not the top mark/they could have done better etc.
An A is good if you were expecting less than an A, and bad if you were expecting more than an A - much like every grade. Seriously, it is entirely dependant upon the student.
Reply 18
Depend on what subject it is and how useful it is to your future career...in the modern world, what matters more is A levels and your bachelor degree in uni...and in the future a postgraduate degree may even have to be necessary in order to get a good job?...back in the 1990s, most jobs didnt even need a uni degree
Is this a serious question!?

Quick Reply

Latest