How hard is A2 compared to AS (sciences and maths especially)? Watch

LouiseXxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello everyone!

So in AS's I did Biology, Economics, Maths and Chemistry, getting AAAB, mucked up one chemistry exam which pulled it down. Anyway I worked really really hard and I'm obviously over the moon about what I got because I know how much easier this will make getting into uni, and I'm predicted A*A*AA, is it possible, I don't want to kill myself next year from over working!

Any advice really?

Thank Youuuu!
EvilAligator
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LouiseXxx)
Hello everyone!

So in AS's I did Biology, Economics, Maths and Chemistry, getting AAAB, mucked up one chemistry exam which pulled it down. Anyway I worked really really hard and I'm obviously over the moon about what I got because I know how much easier this will make getting into uni, and I'm predicted A*A*AA, is it possible, I don't want to kill myself next year from over working!

Any advice really?

Thank Youuuu!
I did AS biology, physics, chemistry and English lit and got 4Bs, then dropped English and taught myself the whole maths A level in a year, and got BBCC. Not gonna lie, it was bloody hard, but I haven't been that well for a while and you have better AS results, so... your call, but be prepared to work; A2 is much harder than AS in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mule
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did biology, maths, physics and chemistry, and when I went from AS to A2 I didn't find that much of a change, except for maths, maths seemed notably harder to me. But then again, most of my friends said they were finding it a huge change so I guess it just depends on the person really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zazaae
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
okay... so i got C for Biology and E for Chemistry ( B in Psychology and A in Art) at AS and im planning to resit Chem and resit Bio unit 1 and bio empa.
also im dropping art.
What kind of predicted grades will i get?
Also I need to know wether the work load will be too much, also may i add i didnt work hard at all for AS year but im really motivated to wor 100 harder at A2.
i really want B grades in chem and bio, is it possible?

Thanks for replying (if any amazing person does)
Squeagle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got BBBB in my AS levels, in Bio, Chem, Maths and English lit. I dropped English lit. In my A2s I achieved A*AB (same order as listed above). it was hard work. Mind you I was really ill from February-exams but still, goes to show that if you put the effort in and work hard then you can achieve better grades at A2 than at AS... As long as you put the work in you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
EvilAligator
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zazaae)
okay... so i got C for Biology and E for Chemistry ( B in Psychology and A in Art) at AS and im planning to resit Chem and resit Bio unit 1 and bio empa.
also im dropping art.
What kind of predicted grades will i get?
Also I need to know wether the work load will be too much, also may i add i didnt work hard at all for AS year but im really motivated to wor 100 harder at A2.
i really want B grades in chem and bio, is it possible?

Thanks for replying (if any amazing person does)
If you make sure you work, a B in biology is definitely possible, but coming back from the E in chemistry is going to be really really tough, I have to admit
If you're retaking, think about how many exams you're gonna have at the end of it all as well; I only did one retake and had thirteen exams, ten in two weeks. Needless to say, it was bloody knackering :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zazaae
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EvilAligator)
If you make sure you work, a B in biology is definitely possible, but coming back from the E in chemistry is going to be really really tough, I have to admit
If you're retaking, think about how many exams you're gonna have at the end of it all as well; I only did one retake and had thirteen exams, ten in two weeks. Needless to say, it was bloody knackering :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly thanks for replying!Okay so if i retake chem thats 2 exams and empa exam too, so 3 there, and for biology its one exam plus empa exam. so all together five resits.
for A2 bio and chem theres 6 exams all together, that makes eleven exams when adding resits. Then two more for pyshcology, so 13 altogether...
i would say 10 in two weeks seems really tough, so maybe i shldnt resit bio?
what subjects did you do? and what A-levels did you get? just out of curiosity
EvilAligator
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Firstly thanks for replying!Okay so if i retake chem thats 2 exams and empa exam too, so 3 there, and for biology its one exam plus empa exam. so all together five resits.
for A2 bio and chem theres 6 exams all together, that makes eleven exams when adding resits. Then two more for pyshcology, so 13 altogether...
i would say 10 in two weeks seems really tough, so maybe i shldnt resit bio?
what subjects did you do? and what A-levels did you get? just out of curiosity
I did an English lit AS and got a B (four marks off an A... should have remarked), biology A2 B, chemistry A2 C, physics A2 B, and I taught myself the maths A2 in the second year and got a C
Basically, if I'd had more time, I could almost certainly have gone up a grade in each subject and ended up with AABBa
Obviously I don't know you, so I can't decide for you, but my suggestion is don't resit anything you absolutely do not have to, so probably don't retake biology
Thirteen exams sucks. Avoid it if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zazaae
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EvilAligator)
I did an English lit AS and got a B (four marks off an A... should have remarked), biology A2 B, chemistry A2 C, physics A2 B, and I taught myself the maths A2 in the second year and got a C
Basically, if I'd had more time, I could almost certainly have gone up a grade in each subject and ended up with AABBa
Obviously I don't know you, so I can't decide for you, but my suggestion is don't resit anything you absolutely do not have to, so probably don't retake biology
Thirteen exams sucks. Avoid it if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow thats really awesome that you taught yourself the maths:eek:Did you need it for a course you wnated to do? or did you just decide to do it?
Well for bio my unit 2 paper was 2 marks off an a, and overall im not sure but i am around 5 UMS off a B at AS for bio.. so maybe theres no need to resit,so i think ill only resit chem.. maybe get unit 2 bio remarked?
EvilAligator
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow thats really awesome that you taught yourself the maths:eek:Did you need it for a course you wnated to do? or did you just decide to do it?
Well for bio my unit 2 paper was 2 marks off an a, and overall im not sure but i am around 5 UMS off a B at AS for bio.. so maybe theres no need to resit,so i think ill only resit chem.. maybe get unit 2 bio remarked?
Kind of... I'm doing natural sciences this year, so quite a few universities need it? For example, I'm going to Leicester, and while they don't straight up need it, one of the elective modules requires it, so it's pretty handy to have XD
Wow, that's so close, definitely no need to resit! The thing with science is that remarking is unlikely to get you any more marks unless they fricked up; English is largely subjective and there was a strange trend of marking our year, but science is either right or wrong. Maybe talk to your teachers about it first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chillbro957
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you are comparing AS with A2 then comparatively A2 is MUCH MUCH tougher than AS. But if you look at A2 alone then it's hard but not extremely hard, if you start preparation early and do sufficient past papers(6 years atleast). If u do last 6 years past papers (all variants) then an A* is almost confirm , provided that you did the past papers with utmost concentration and understanding. Gudluk...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (129)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (63)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (374)
56.67%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (94)
14.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed