The Student Room Group

Student bank account - Santander 11213 account??

Hey guys,
I'm going to start uni in september (can't wait:colone:) but anyways Santander have sent me a letter about why I should join with them. Now they are offering free 4 year 16-25 railcard and another discounted rail travel in Great Britain. However, I've read many bad reviews about this bank and everyone says how it sucks and stuff.

Anyways, is anyone with this bank and what do you think? Does the railcard cover buses and tube? Is it a good bank to be with? are their services any good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slyca
Hey guys,
I'm going to start uni in september (can't wait:colone:) but anyways Santander have sent me a letter about why I should join with them. Now they are offering free 4 year 16-25 railcard and another discounted rail travel in Great Britain. However, I've read many bad reviews about this bank and everyone says how it sucks and stuff.

Anyways, is anyone with this bank and what do you think? Does the railcard cover buses and tube? Is it a good bank to be with? are their services any good?

One of my accounts is with Santander and I'm yet to experience any issues.

If you attach your railcard to your Oyster card you will get 1/3 off off peak pay as you go tube fares. I don't know if you get a bus discount but it seems unlikely.
Reply 2
Yeah the bank is pretty **** tbh. This mainly comes from their branches being under-staffed. I've probably had to wait on average an extra 5 minutes to be served compared to the other banks. And if you need to book an appointment to see someone about opening an account or anything that requires a 1-on-1 with one of their staff, you often have to wait until the next week.

However, considering the perks of the 16-25 rail card, overdraft of £1500 and 3% interest on up to £2000. I'd say its definitely worth opening a student account with them. When are you ever going to have to go in branch to sort some stuff out? Probably once or twice a year, maybe never. Everything's online nowadays anyway, you can deposit or withdraw cash via internet banking. You will very rarely need to experience the **** customer service that they have.
Open a basic account with Santander online, wait for the card to arrive. Contact Halifax, use their switchover service, and Santander will have earned you £100.00 for free :biggrin:
Original post by wannabeaca
Open a basic account with Santander online, wait for the card to arrive. Contact Halifax, use their switchover service, and Santander will have earned you £100.00 for free :biggrin:

How soon can you switch banks after opening a new account?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by -TheSpecialOne-
How soon can you switch banks after opening a new account?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Straight away - you'll need to wait for your debit card to arrive however. Santander were surprisingly quick, pin and card in 3 working days :O

I'm pretty sure the Halifax switchover is only for premium accounts which costs money anyway.
Original post by lipslikemorphine
I'm pretty sure the Halifax switchover is only for premium accounts which costs money anyway.

No, it's available on their free Reward Account.

You can choose their Ultimate Reward Account (£10/month) at your own will.
Original post by Slyca
Hey guys,

Only covers trains. Personally, Id get a Co Op account, because it "guarantees" a 2K overdraft - netting you £400 - 504 over 4 years, if you take that money and putting it in other accounts - exceeding the money you can make from Santander

If you're not up for that, it's a decent account I guess! I personally cant get it due to having a proper Santander 123 account - which Im technically not meant to have :biggrin:

Original post by Jack93o
Yeah the bank is pretty **** tbh. This mainly comes from their branches being under-staffed. I've probably had to wait on average an extra 5 minutes to be served compared to the other banks. And if you need to book an appointment to see someone about opening an account or anything that requires a 1-on-1 with one of their staff, you often have to wait until the next week.

However, considering the perks of the 16-25 rail card, overdraft of £1500 and 3% interest on up to £2000. I'd say its definitely worth opening a student account with them. When are you ever going to have to go in branch to sort some stuff out? Probably once or twice a year, maybe never. Everything's online nowadays anyway, you can deposit or withdraw cash via internet banking. You will very rarely need to experience the **** customer service that they have.

Depends, what branch tbh. I find them relatively quick. The quickest bank for me is probably Nationwide, but that's because less people use it

Big banks = bigger queues

I wouldnt do that with Santander. I'd do that perhaps witha Lloyds classic account, or a Barclays account etc... I think even after graduation, you want some history with Santander, due to their VERY popular, Santander 123 account which is quite good

Not true. It's any account

No, it's available on their free Reward Account.

You can choose their Ultimate Reward Account (£10/month) at your own will.

The ultimate reward is only £10/month if you pay in £750/month and have two direct debits. Otherwise, it's £15/month
(edited 9 years ago)
Straight away - you'll need to wait for your debit card to arrive however. Santander were surprisingly quick, pin and card in 3 working days :O

That's great then. Going to open an account, probably with HSBC, then switch to Halifax and get that hundie. By the way, about overdrafts, is the limit, say 1500, always available. Say I go 200 into my overdraft, then top it up, is my overdraft now 1300, or could I still use all 1500 of it?

I switched over, and I was told that they accepted ANY current account

you guys don't even have to use a student account. Just go and open a normal current account from a bank and switch over
Original post by de_monies
Only covers buses. Personally, Id get a Co Op account, because it "guarantees" a 2K overdraft - netting you £400 - 504 over 4 years, if you take that money and putting it in other accounts - exceeding the money you can make from Santander

If you're not up for that, it's a decent account I guess! I personally cant get it due to having a proper Santander 123 account - which Im technically not meant to have :biggrin:

Depends, what branch tbh. I find them relatively quick. The quickest bank for me is probably Nationwide, but that's because less people use it

Big banks = bigger queues

How did you calculate that you'd earn £400 over three years if you save the £2000? (and £504 for 4 years)

Thats about 6-7% interest annually, which savings account offer that?

Also, doesn't santander offer a 'guaranteed' £1500 overdraft?

Take that into account, along with the rail card and 3% interest for up to £2000, and I'd say that beats co-op's offer of an extra £500 interest-free overdraft
Original post by Jack93o
How did you calculate that you'd earn £400 over three years if you save the £2000? (and £504 for 4 years)

Thats about 6-7% interest annually, which savings account offer that?

Also, doesn't santander offer a 'guaranteed' £1500 overdraft?

Take that into account, along with the rail card and 3% interest for up to £2000, and I'd say that beats co-op's offer of an extra £500 interest-free overdraft

Moving it from First Direct regular savings at 6% in to a TSB classic plus account at 5% and then to a Santander 123.

All automated BTW

I get the Santander 123 current account which gives me 3% are any way as well as cashback on bills

I think with Santander you are guaranteed but its £500 first year, £1000 second year and then third year is £1500

Actually it works somewhat similarly with the Co Op

For me because I use my Santander account as my main account I can't really be in my overdraft at 100% - also this account is not meant for students (I applied for it whilst on placement :biggrin: )
Moving it from First Direct regular savings at 6% in to a TSB classic plus account at 5% and then to a Santander 123.

All automated BTW

I get the Santander 123 current account which gives me 3% are any way as well as cashback on bills

I think with Santander you are guaranteed but its £500 first year, £1000 second year and then third year is £1500

Actually it works somewhat similarly with the Co Op

For me because I use my Santander account as my main account I can't really be in my overdraft at 100% - also this account is not meant for students (I applied for it whilst on placement :biggrin: )

Why move it from First direct savings at 6% interest to TSB classic at a lower rate of 5%

also I've just had a look at the santander 123 current account, they offer you 3% interest for up to £20000. Thats a much higher rate of interest than an savings/NISA accounts at the moment. Am I missing something? Unless you have more than £20000, why not shove all your savings onto santander's 123?
Original post by Jack93o
Why move it from First direct savings at 6% interest to TSB classic at a lower rate of 5%

also I've just had a look at the santander 123 current account, they offer you 3% interest for up to £20000. Thats a much higher rate of interest than an savings/NISA accounts at the moment. Am I missing something? Unless you have more than £20000, why not shove all your savings onto santander's 123?

So you can get both? ie: Place in £166/month at First Direct. At the end of the year, when you get your money, place it at TSB

Tbh, that's exatly what I think. I personally have a Nationwide ISA at 2.5%

Santander 123 give you 3% up to 20K

At 20% tax, that's 2.4% (0.1% below Nationwide)

I dont pay tax (atm), so I get the full 3% - At Santander, it's easy. You just switch on something in your online account. With other banks, you need to fill in an R85 form

The Nationwide ISA was very quickly removed. Nationwide are like that. I get them, first two weeks in April, because afterwards, the product is removed

There are other long term ISA's, but personally I think they're a bit "meh" The highest ISA I've seen is something like 3% at 5 years, and personally, I'd rather risk some money at zopa.com (I mean the maximum you really stand to lose is £10 ) where it is meant to get you 5.2% over 5 years (4.16% after 20% tax)

Also, what baffles me is that Santander have an ISA "exclusive" for Santander 123 customers, at .. 2% and it's fixed for 2 years You cant make unlimited withdrawals, and you can't make unlimited amount of pay ins (up to the limit)

Yeah at 3% in a 123 current account, your money is taxed, but you're still 0.4% better off... I guess it's good for people who have less than £3000 saved perhaps

Besides, other banks give you 3% on current accounts up to a certain limit as well, so even if you have £1000 or £2000 or whatever, you're better off NOT putting your money in to an ISA

OR do as Martin Lewis says ie: put money in to current accounts, and then at the end of March, put all that money in to an ISA, to protect against the future etc....
So you can get both? ie: Place in £166/month at First Direct. At the end of the year, when you get your money, place it at TSB

Tbh, that's exatly what I think. I personally have a Nationwide ISA at 2.5%

Santander 123 give you 3% up to 20K

At 20% tax, that's 2.4% (0.1% below Nationwide)

I dont pay tax (atm), so I get the full 3% - At Santander, it's easy. You just switch on something in your online account. With other banks, you need to fill in an R85 form

The Nationwide ISA was very quickly removed. Nationwide are like that. I get them, first two weeks in April, because afterwards, the product is removed

There are other long term ISA's, but personally I think they're a bit "meh" The highest ISA I've seen is something like 3% at 5 years, and personally, I'd rather risk some money at zopa.com (I mean the maximum you really stand to lose is £10 ) where it is meant to get you 5.2% over 5 years (4.16% after 20% tax)

Also, what baffles me is that Santander have an ISA "exclusive" for Santander 123 customers, at .. 2% and it's fixed for 2 years You cant make unlimited withdrawals, and you can't make unlimited amount of pay ins (up to the limit)

Yeah at 3% in a 123 current account, your money is taxed, but you're still 0.4% better off... I guess it's good for people who have less than £3000 saved perhaps

Besides, other banks give you 3% on current accounts up to a certain limit as well, so even if you have £1000 or £2000 or whatever, you're better off NOT putting your money in to an ISA

OR do as Martin Lewis says ie: put money in to current accounts, and then at the end of March, put all that money in to an ISA, to protect against the future etc....

Amazing how many people wouldn't know this, and I like to think of myself as quite savvy financially. Cheers for the tip mate :biggrin:

I wouldnt do that with Santander. I'd do that perhaps witha Lloyds classic account, or a Barclays account etc... I think even after graduation, you want some history with Santander, due to their VERY popular, Santander 123 account which is quite good

I wouldn't even touch Santander despite their cashback. They'd have to go from being the worst bank in Britain to one of the best for me to consider them...and that rarely occurs in the large corporations.
I wouldn't even touch Santander despite their cashback. They'd have to go from being the worst bank in Britain to one of the best for me to consider them...and that rarely occurs in the large corporations.

They have done... That's exactly what happened at Santander
They have done... That's exactly what happened at Santander

They're the worst bank on Trustpilot. They haven't.
They're the worst bank on Trustpilot. They haven't.

http://www.santander.com/csgs/Satellite/CFWCSancomQP01/en_GB/Corporate/Press-Room/20120706vigSantander-named-Best-Bank-in-the-World-in-2012-by-Euromoney-magazine.html

This was two years ago, when they started to get rid of the problems people had with Abbey National and Alliance & Leicester

Third best in 2013:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santander_UK

2014 had it higher than every other bank as well. And I say this without bias - because I bank with like 11 banks...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending