The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

How to know the subjects of each module?

Hi everyone! I'm interested in some courses which I'm willing to apply in 15/16 but I'm not sure if the subjects are right for me. I have already contacted the Uni but they just sent me the pages of each course which only present the modules and not the subjects.

Isn't there a way to know the subjects you're able to choose in each module?

Thank you!
I'll let you know when term starts!
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
I'm not from the UK. Maybe I'm getting confused about the meaning of module and subject.

Anyway, thank you ModernScholar!
Original post by Avocadoh
I'm not from the UK. Maybe I'm getting confused about the meaning of module and subject.

Anyway, thank you ModernScholar!

Hmm upon reading your first post again it seems I must clarify a few things.

A subject is a general category of study which contains modules that are sorted by content and given a value through the number of credits they are worth (probably measured by difficulty or timescale), as well as the term/semester they can be learned in. Subject is another term for "course" in this context while a module is simply a subdivision dealing with a particular aspect of the subject.

Example:

Philosophy - subject/course.

Philosophy of Mind - module worth X credits. Deals with the area of philosophy concerning the mind and body, thought etc.

Aesthetics - module worth Y credits. Deals with issues like beauty or artistic value.

...and various other modules representing parts of Philosophy.

A basic outline but it should help you rephrase your question.
Reply 4
Original post by ModernScholar
Hmm upon reading your first post again it seems I must clarify a few things.

A subject is a general category of study which contains modules that are sorted by content and given a value through the number of credits they are worth (probably measured by difficulty or timescale), as well as the term/semester they can be learned in. Subject is another term for "course" in this context while a module is simply a subdivision dealing with a particular aspect of the subject.

Example:

Philosophy - subject/course.

Philosophy of Mind - module worth X credits. Deals with the area of philosophy concerning the mind and body, thought etc.

Aesthetics - module worth Y credits. Deals with issues like beauty or artistic value.

...and various other modules representing parts of Philosophy.

A basic outline but it should help you rephrase your question.

My question didn't make any sense then. I feel a bit stupid right now, hahaha. In my country, the study programme is presented in a different way, that's why I was a bit confused.

Thank you so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending