If you had to give up meat or alcohol?

Watch
young_guns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If you had to give up meat or alcohol, which would it be?

I would definitely give up meat; I can totally envision having a beautiful vegetarian meal, maybe some delicious pasta with freshly baked bread and a mushroom sauce, and a glass of white wine. And maybe followed by a nice brandy

The reverse, having a nice steak but no drink to go with it, seems less appetising. So it would definitely be meat that would have to go.

What would you choose if you had to give up one or the other? (and yes I know some of you will already not consume one or the other, or both. Feel free to comment though)
Advertisement
xmertic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by young_guns)
If you had to give up meat or alcohol, which would it be?

I would definitely give up meat; I can totally envision having a beautiful vegetarian meal, maybe some delicious pasta with freshly baked bread and a mushroom sauce, and a glass of white wine. And maybe followed by a nice brandy

The reverse, having a nice steak but no drink to go with it, seems less appetising. So it would definitely be meat that would have to go.

What would you choose if you had to give up one or the other? (and yes I know some of you will already not consume one or the other, or both. Feel free to comment though)

I'd rather eat meat than be able to drink booze.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Preferably neither, but I guess the question would be which would be easier to replace. So I guess the questions is, non-alcoholic beer or fake meat? Both are pretty crappy compared to the real thing.
Advertisement
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Alcohol no question.
tysonmaniac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As a vegetarian who does not drink, this is a difficult question to answer. But supposing I could only opt out of one of these activities, it would be meat, since I am fully prepared to sacrifice my happiness by drinking alcohol in order to avoid eating meat (for all the reasons I am vegetarian).
Advertisement
elri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Think I'd rather give up alcohol.. I crave a KFC much more than booze :eek:
Really hard question though.. because alcohol is much more fun ahh
skoav
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm already a vegetarian so that's pretty easy for me.

I don't even like meat so it's pretty easy to go without but I wouldn't even know where to begin with alcohol like what the heck do you replace that with??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
ApeMob
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd give up alcohol because even though a decent amount can clean your intestines (barley) and red wine is good for women, it is addictive. Meat isn't addictive. But to be fair neither are really in my life anyway but there was a time when they both were. But meat I still eat somewhat, just definitely not as much as before The viruses and indigestion and cholesterol and heart problems and stuff not worth a heavier plate. :nah:
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Alcohol. Easy. And I love ale! :yep:

Bacon.
Advertisement
ApeMob
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
Alcohol. Easy. And I love ale! :yep:

Bacon.
I haven't had bacon in a year and it made me depressed and so I relapsed a wk or so ago and...it...was...great! :awesome: lol
DeadGirlsDance
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think I would definitely have to give up meat. But I would be so jealous every time I saw a steak or some duck on a plate :sogood:.

I do like alcohol too much to be able to ever give it up properly :lol:. One of my favourite things on the weekend is to play football manager drinking game and I would hate to have to stop doing that
Advertisement
bottled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
alcohol i don't even drink anyways ez question pls

but if i did drink, definitely meat. being vegetarian is pretty nice
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Alcohol!

Spoiler:
Show
I don't/won't drink anyway so no worries
Advertisement
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Honestly wouldn't care which, just so long as I can still drink my beloved coffee. :suith:
young_guns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My main consideration in giving up meat was that there is plenty of delicious and succulent vegetarian food, and in fact it sometimes would prompt you to be more creative with making your food so that you make it equally as delicious as a meal with meat.

On the question of alcohol, I simply could not give up being able to have a nice glass of wine with a meal, or go out with mates for a drink at the pub, or at weddings being able to hang out with my brother and drink brandy and smoke cigars. So giving up alcohol, I would have to give up many activities I enjoy, whereas giving up meat I wouldn't be giving up delicious food, just a particular type of food
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Alcohol

Reason: I don't drink/need alcohol.
ArtGoblin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am already vegan so I've already made the decision but I would give up all my favourite foods rather than give up alcohol. My whole social life is based around alcohol whereas there's always other types of food.
Advertisement
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nothing beats a pint in a beer garden on a sunny day. After a hard day at work, coming home and having having a beer with your dinner is a great way to unwind. Alcohol is also so central to social life here that giving it up for good seems daunting. I gave it up for Lent one year, and going out without having a few drinks just isn't the same.

I like vegetarian cuisine, I'll happily eat it. But to go without meat? Consumption of meat is so central to my native cuisine that I really don't know if I could give it up.

I refuse to answer this :lol:
bittr n swt
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Alcohol. I'm not a massive drinker anyways
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
Easy, alcohol. :fluffy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (87)
28.34%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
38.11%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
13.03%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed