Need advice concerning lower than expected grades

Watch
AzureRathalos97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Science is my calling and I have strived to reach A's and high B's in tests and exams ending with me choosing to study Biology/microbiology at University.
The problem is that I ended up with BBCC in Biology, Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively and I don't know what to do now.
I'm thinking of resitting Biology and Chemistry but from what I hear in the media and from teachers, that's no longer an option?
Is it possible to improve grades in A2 to reach at least BBB or ABB if possible?
Are there any Universities in the UK that I should apply to?
Your answers are greatly appreciated which Is why I made this account.
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im pretty sure resitting exams is still possible..... similar people said the same thing as you and not sure where it came from

Biology isnt as competitive of a subject nowadays so that could work to your advantage potentially.

I would firstly retake maybe 1 or 2 subjects from Bio or Chem - If one of the modules overlaps with A2, this should be helpful ! Also i would personally get rid of Maths or Physics and just forget it about it - dont even bother wasting time resitting exams for it.

Hopefully you can get decent predictions and write up a decent personal statement which will help your cause to get an offer - Usually that spurs on a lot of people

(Original post by AzureRathalos97)
Science is my calling and I have strived to reach A's and high B's in tests and exams ending with me choosing to study Biology/microbiology at University.
The problem is that I ended up with BBCC in Biology, Maths, Chemistry and Physics respectively and I don't know what to do now.
I'm thinking of resitting Biology and Chemistry but from what I hear in the media and from teachers, that's no longer an option?
Is it possible to improve grades in A2 to reach at least BBB or ABB if possible?
AzureRathalos97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jkizer)
Im pretty sure resitting exams is still possible..... similar people said the same thing as you and not sure where it came from

Biology isnt as competitive of a subject nowadays so that could work to your advantage potentially.

I would firstly retake maybe 1 or 2 subjects from Bio or Chem - If one of the modules overlaps with A2, this should be helpful ! Also i would personally get rid of Maths or Physics and just forget it about it - dont even bother wasting time resitting exams for it.

Hopefully you can get decent predictions and write up a decent personal statement which will help your cause to get an offer - Usually that spurs on a lot of people
Thanks for that! I should have put that for A2 I'm doing biology, chemistry and maths and as for retakes I was only considering bio and chem.
Rising_Mikado
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know a couple of people who got the exact grade spread you did but managed to get A*A*A at A2 by resitting a couple of exams and working hard for their A2 exams. The only problem I see you might have is your grade predictions from your teachers but that shouldn't hold you back from getting into a good Uni. Just check the entry requirements before applying through UCAS
AzureRathalos97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rising_Mikado)
I know a couple of people who got the exact grade spread you did but managed to get A*A*A at A2 by resitting a couple of exams and working hard for their A2 exams. The only problem I see you might have is your grade predictions from your teachers but that shouldn't hold you back from getting into a good Uni. Just check the entry requirements before applying through UCAS
The problem is the majority of Uni's want BBB and higher and I was wondering if it was possible to improve my grades by doing better in A2
Rising_Mikado
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The problem is the majority of Uni's want BBB and higher and I was wondering if it was possible to improve my grades by doing better in A2
What do you think your grade predictions would be? Teachers tend to predict higher since people work harder in A2 but that differs from school to school. And yes it is possible to dramatically improve your grades by doing better in A2, what you get in AS doesn't necessarily equate to what you get overall after A2.
Jacketh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course it is. Try and get on the good side of your subject teachers by showing dedication and get good predicted grades. Show them you'll do better in the resits and make sure you do.

So many stories on here if people getting BCCD or something like that then coming out with A*AA come the end of A2. Its amazing what a little bit of desire, resilience and commitment can do in a year.

Best of luck.
AzureRathalos97
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the help folks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads