The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni with NO GCSE Maths

Hi,

I'm planning to apply to uni within the next few months for 2015. In my GCSE results i got a D in Maths, I'm planning on applying for a course in Education studies and majority of uni's obviously require a C in maths. I've re-took the exam a number of times on FOUNDATION, and still not got it. Would anybody recommend me doing a higher paper in November as some people believe it is easier to get a C on higher? I'm worried that a condition of my course will be to get a C in GCSE maths and that if I don't get it I won't be accepted next year. :frown:

Any help appreciated! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SAMOB96
Hi,

I'm planning to apply to uni within the next few months for 2015. In my GCSE results i got a D in Maths, I'm planning on applying for a course in Education studies and majority of uni's obviously require a C in maths. I've re-took the exam a number of times on FOUNDATION, and still not got it. Would anybody recommend me doing a higher paper in November as some people believe it is easier to get a C on higher? I'm worried that a condition of my course will be to get a C in GCSE maths and that if I don't get it I won't be accepted next year. :frown:

Getting a C on higher is a LOT harder than getting a C on Foundation so it's better to stick with foundation. Do loads of past papers and cover up the model answers from papers that you have previously done and answer the question and compare the model answers with your own.
Yea you should definitely consider taking the higher paper because you require less marks to attain a C this year it was 57/200 whereas in the Foundation this year you needed to get at least 141/200. Although the higher is harder you should be able to attain a C relatively easily with some revision.
Reply 3
Most of the time, when applying to university, you need at least a C in both english and maths GCSE. (Some university's may require higher).

I would recommend you definitley retake. Foundation is definitley a lot easier than higher. You furthermore already know much of the material on foundation maths, so you don't have to relearn new material, you simply have to go over what you know.
Reply 4
That's what I had previously thought, however my teacher today told me that it may be easier as you need to get less correct answers, where as on foundation you need 75-80% of the paper to get a C which seems a lot! Unsure what to do.
Reply 5
Does anybody else have experience in applying with no Maths?
Do you want to be a teacher? You need to have a grade C in maths to be a teacher.
Honestly imo I can advise you to have a look at both the foundation and higher past papers for your exam board and seriously think about whether you are willing to put the work in :bebored: Tbh im not too good at maths either I managed to thankfully get a C in Maths.. I only scraped a place into the courses I wanted to study because they wanted a B even though I passed.. :eek: But imo if you do maths again and pass it will help you a lot and make things a lot easier in the future.. Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
I have a degree in maths. :P

Now tell me, what is it this pestering subject is troubling you with.

I'll teach on TSR if I have to!! Haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by rayquaza17
Do you want to be a teacher? You need to have a grade C in maths to be a teacher.

Yes I do, this is why I'm worried as to what paper to sit to achieve a C.
Reply 10
Original post by Summer Rose
Honestly imo I can advise you to have a look at both the foundation and higher past papers for your exam board and seriously think about whether you are willing to put the work in :bebored: Tbh im not too good at maths either I managed to thankfully get a C in Maths.. I only scraped a place into the courses I wanted to study because they wanted a B even though I passed.. :eek: But imo if you do maths again and pass it will help you a lot and make things a lot easier in the future.. Good luck :smile:

Thank you, yes I have been taking a look at the papers and comparing, I don't know whether to just take the risk? As it may be easier to do the higher and put hard work in on less stuff.
Reply 11
Original post by godd
I have a degree in maths. :P

Now tell me, what is it this pestering subject is troubling you with.

I'll teach on TSR if I have to!! Haha

Haha, thank you. It is more or less everything at the back of papers I struggle with.
Reply 12
Original post by SAMOB96
Haha, thank you. It is more or less everything at the back of papers I struggle with.

What kind of stuff?

Manipulating algebra?
When I did maths on higher I got a D and was 5 marks away from a C and this time they put me in for foundation and I got an E ._.
I've always done better on the higher papers but thats just me. Try doing past papers of both and seeing which ones your doing better in.

Luckily I didn't need maths to get into my uni course! Just english ._.
Original post by SAMOB96
Hi,

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
Original post by SAMOB96
Hi,

For the uni course you want to do a C in maths is a must but you don't need to pass maths to make something good out of your life.
Reply 16
Higher maths is much harder than Foundation.

You really need a good grasp of algebra for Higher Maths, especially involve trig functions.

To anyone who is struggling with maths, I say try and improve your algebra to an almost flawless language like standard. Everything else will then come naturally.
Reply 17
Original post by German123
For the uni course you want to do a C in maths is a must but you don't need to pass maths to make something good out of your life.

Haha, thank you. But the only thing I've wanted to do is teaching, determined to eventually get a C.
Reply 18
Original post by Nkosazana
When I did maths on higher I got a D and was 5 marks away from a C and this time they put me in for foundation and I got an E ._.
I've always done better on the higher papers but thats just me. Try doing past papers of both and seeing which ones your doing better in.

Luckily I didn't need maths to get into my uni course! Just english ._.

Ok thanks!
As above, keep hustling and we'll help!

I'm more than happy to help you understand things you struggle with.

Perhaps you might even be ambitious and push for a B.

So, when are you scheduled to next sit GCSE Maths?

EDIT:

If you push for November, you can make good progress covering the syllabus through summer in your free time.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest