Gibus_pyro
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm still trying to decide what i want to do for my A2 eng lit coursework.
My ideals so far are:
1)Oedipus Rex and Macbeth. discussing the amount of influence tragic heroes have on their own fate and how much their fate is predetermined and inevitable.

2) Antigone and King Lear, discussing the role of daughters tragedy.

3) Edward II and something (suggestions please) discussing the importance of relationships between men. I love Edward II and I was considering even discussing literary homo-eroticism in pre 18th century work, but i'm not sure what other play i would use.

what do people think? do any of these immediately jump out as good or bad ideas? and can anyone suggest something to compare to Edward II?
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the first sounds like an interesting idea :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
merqoperatic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gibus_pyro)
My ideals so far are:
1)Oedipus Rex and Macbeth. discussing the amount of influence tragic heroes have on their own fate and how much their fate is predetermined and inevitable.
Isn't fate necessarily predetermined and inevitable, though? What would a non-predetermined fate look like? Something on those two plays could probably work; you just need to find something sorta contrast-y to talk about, since saying that their underlying mechanisms are uncomplicatedly identical is a little boring. Questions that might be worth thinking about: what motivates fate in those two plays? Does fate have any sort of engine for O. or Macbeth? How do their experiences of fate differ, and how do those differences change the outcome? Is fate intrinsically or extrinsically generated (which would open up space for discussion of the role of psychology or even, if you're daring, existentialism in consideration of these plays.)

The only problem, I think, being that the primary tragic figure in each of these plays is different--the daughter in Antigone, and the father in Lear. But: have you ever taken a look at Jean Anouilh's adaptation of Antigone? It's a 20th century thing written in the middle of WWII, so very different context from the original, but it changes the primary tragic focus from A. to Creon, which AFAIC would work really well in league with the Shakespeare.

3) Edward II and something (suggestions please) discussing the importance of relationships between men. I love Edward II and I was considering even discussing literary homo-eroticism in pre 18th century work, but i'm not sure what other play i would use.
"Literary homoeroticism in pre-18th century English fiction" is a big topic but could be very cool if you narrowed it down a hair (an initial boundary, for example, or along class lines or something.) "Relationships between men" is way too gigantic. I'm not familiar with Edward II and that period isn't my speciality, but I've heard from friends who work on the earlier stuff that the Canterbury Tales are the subject of a major amount of work on gender and sexual identity these days; Milton's elegy "Lycidas" is spoken by a shepherd for his dead (male) friend, was written by Milton to mourn a dead (male) friend of his, and has a ton of erotic energy throughout; Othello features a pseudo-wedding between Othello and Iago in Act III about which one could write dozens of papers; John Donne's later poems direct an enormous amount of erotic energy towards God, in much the same way that Augustine does in the Confessions. I can't think of anything much past that, but if you've got the time, check out John Boswell's writings--he was a medieval historian at Yale whose work was among the first to consider the role of sexual identity in that context.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gibus_pyro)
My ideals so far are:

what do people think? do any of these immediately jump out as good or bad ideas? and can anyone suggest something to compare to Edward II?
Tragedian plays are supposed to be predetermined and everything. So I don't think that would be a possible idea. However, you could look at how far does a role of a character play for the fate of others. For example, Iago in Othello, the 3 sisters in King Lear, etc.

As someone already said, homo-eroticism in pre-18th century work is a very BIG area to look at for an A2 coursework. It would be good for a 3rd year Lit student doing a dissertation. But you're doing coursework, not an investigation. "The importance of male relationships" is too broad. Narrow it down to a specific type of relationship, brotherhood, father-son relationships, paternal love, homo-erotic relationship. If I had to do my A2 coursework again, instead of exploring morality, I so would have based it on male sexual desire. Not homo-erotic literature, because that's explicit/graphic which perhaps the exam board wouldn't allow.

So I'm understanding you have to compare two plays? Why not focus on male sexual desire, or male sexual relationships, instead of being very specific of pre-18th century lit. You won't have enough words for a 3000 worded essay. Angels in America is a post-post modern play that is a very good play. Can you not compare with novels or poems?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.75%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (304)
29.89%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (493)
48.48%

Watched Threads