The Student Room Group

My flat mates don't trust me anymore

Anon or delete please - one of my friends posts on here.

This is a complicated scenario to explain but I'll try to be as brief as possible. Last year I moved into a flat with my four best friends at university and just after we sorted out living arrangements for next year (I'm living with two of the same people again) there was a terrible situation with my rent. Basically the company we were renting with accused me of not paying my rent (even though they'd actually taken it twice some months) and what followed was a massively long hassle with me having to use citizens advice to get the situation sorted because I couldn't afford to pay for a lawyer. It went on for months and the whole time my flat mates and their guarantors were being hassled for the money I "owed" and I was literally sick with worry.

At first my flat mates believed me but as time went on and they were still getting letters (citizens advice had to keep requesting bank statements and then the director of the company I was renting from had to do the same etc etc) I could tell they started to believe I just hadn't been paying my rent and was going to leave them to pay it. This obviously hurt me a bit as I was very close to them but at the same time I could see that the situation looked pretty suspicious from their point of view.

Anyway, now the rent situation has been sorted and the only thing I'm waiting for is for the head of the company to write to my flat mates and let them know that the whole thing was their mistake. But I'm now dreading moving in with the two girls I'm moving in with because they're being really off with me and I can tell they basically don't trust me with finances anymore. It's upsetting because I've never let them down with money in the two years I've known them - I pay for everything straight away. I really don't want to live with people that don't trust me for an entire year and I just want to cry.
Reply 1
I don't really know what I'm asking for here - just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to cope?
I can see why your friends might feel this way, because as you said, it does look suspicious. Surely when the letter comes through explaining that it wasn't your fault, they will sort themselves out and trust you again. But I also think, are they really true friends if they refuse to believe your side of the story? If they're accusing you of things you haven't done; of being dishonest?
I would recommend that once you move again you ensure that you are extremely organised with everything to do with money, to prove to your friends that you are responsible with money and would never leave them to pay everything, to show that whats happened in the past was a mix up that was not your fault.
Reply 3
All you can do is talk to them really. Chase the company a lot to get them to apologise to your flatmates. Write complaint letters, etc.

Maybe treat your housemates in some way (buy them a takeaway or something) and explain that you really had paid the rent and that you just wanted to say a thank you for dealing with all the BS while you got it sorted.
Reply 4
Show your friends your statements showing you've paid?

Don't know how they can't believe you then
Original post by Anonymous
I don't really know what I'm asking for here - just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to cope?

Man that sounds pretty ****, really sorry you had to go through that. Bureaucracy can absoloutley suck and students really don't need that with all the pressures they have already. All I can say is at least it's being sorted out in the end. That's what I always have to think whenever I get stressed out by bureucratic processes that make mistakes like that - you just have to think, the truth will come out in the end and my finances will be sorted. I know that's really difficult when its all so stressful and you're getting so worried, though. But it is only a difficult phase and you just have to think to yourself 'this too will pass' so let's not get so stressed about it.

But that's only so far as the financial issue goes. As for the flatmates not trusting you, totally get how crippling that would be. For some people, their friends are their life when they're staying at university. I mean you live with them, but you also depend on them to be like a family. That's why it's really sad whenthey don't trust you. I was in that position myself when first at uni - people thought I was stealing food, and they just thought that because they judged me. Everyone from my block went to public school and they were sort of fake kind of girls, I was the only one from state +grammar and they were all sinking in money, whereas I came from a very simple background and was a pauper compared to the kind of lavish lifestyles they led. Naturally tehre waas a class difference. So they would audibly bitch about me and alienate me which hurt a lot but eventually the realised it wasn't me because I had to leave halfway through the year and the food-stealing was continuing even after that, so eventually they knew it wasn't me. But I would have liked them to believe me without proof as it really hurt that they were pre-judging me when I'd done abosloutely nothing. I had no real friends because a real friend would believe me even without seeing I guess. They would have faith in you. But people are just too quick to pre-judge and make others feel bad. I guess it's a similar situation for you, as soon as they get the letter confirming that it was all just a huge mix-up they will know how wrong they were. BUt I doubt they will apologise, no one ever apologised to me. Its just most people in life are too quick to judge and be bitchy - particularly girls, I learnt that the hard way. I'm sorry but there's not much you can do here, I totally know how you feel as it would have been nicer if people believed in you without proof. That's just life I guess. Sorry not a very uplifting post but I can empathise
Reply 6
Original post by megannlizz
I can see why your friends might feel this way, because as you said, it does look suspicious. Surely when the letter comes through explaining that it wasn't your fault, they will sort themselves out and trust you again. But I also think, are they really true friends if they refuse to believe your side of the story? If they're accusing you of things you haven't done; of being dishonest?
I would recommend that once you move again you ensure that you are extremely organised with everything to do with money, to prove to your friends that you are responsible with money and would never leave them to pay everything, to show that whats happened in the past was a mix up that was not your fault.

of conniving thief I really don't feel we can regain any sort of our former closeness.

Yes I'm hoping they will completely accept it wasn't my fault once they get the letter. But like you said, if they don't trust me then they're obviously not my real friends. I know that if something similar had happened in my hometown my friends from my hometown would have believed me unconditionally. I just feel kind of rubbish because now it's obvious that they were ready to believe I was some sort

Thanks for the advice and I agree with being incredibly organised with money this year. I've actually always been the most organised with keeping up to date with payments and stuff out of my flat mates so it should be relatively natural for me.
Reply 7
Original post by Steezy
All you can do is talk to them really. Chase the company a lot to get them to apologise to your flatmates. Write complaint letters, etc.

Maybe treat your housemates in some way (buy them a takeaway or something) and explain that you really had paid the rent and that you just wanted to say a thank you for dealing with all the BS while you got it sorted.

Thanks for that, I appreciate the advice. I'm doing the chasing and I can't wait till it's over completely.

I'll give some thought to the treating them thing - I'm just unsure of whether that makes me look like a pushover. After all, I didn't actually do anything wrong and I have apologized loads. I guess it hurts because I've dealt with all their BS when one of them let their bf stay over while we were away for Christmas and he broke two of our doors etc and I did so without complaining and was very supportive. But at the same time I know that things looked bad to them with the whole rent thing and I guess they panicked. I really don't know.
Reply 8
Original post by iamu
Show your friends your statements showing you've paid?

Don't know how they can't believe you then

I suppose this is probably the easiest solution. It's just been double the hassle because the majority of it has occurred over the summer holidays when we're hours apart. I guess I'll show them the statements when I do back next month and end all the ambiguity. Thank you.
Reply 9
Original post by Temporality
Man that sounds pretty ****, really sorry you had to go through that. Bureaucracy can absoloutley suck and students really don't need that with all the pressures they have already. All I can say is at least it's being sorted out in the end. That's what I always have to think whenever I get stressed out by bureucratic processes that make mistakes like that - you just have to think, the truth will come out in the end and my finances will be sorted. I know that's really difficult when its all so stressful and you're getting so worried, though. But it is only a difficult phase and you just have to think to yourself 'this too will pass' so let's not get so stressed about it.

But that's only so far as the financial issue goes. As for the flatmates not trusting you, totally get how crippling that would be. For some people, their friends are their life when they're staying at university. I mean you live with them, but you also depend on them to be like a family. That's why it's really sad whenthey don't trust you. I was in that position myself when first at uni - people thought I was stealing food, and they just thought that because they judged me. Everyone from my block went to public school and they were sort of fake kind of girls, I was the only one from state +grammar and they were all sinking in money, whereas I came from a very simple background and was a pauper compared to the kind of lavish lifestyles they led. Naturally tehre waas a class difference. So they would audibly bitch about me and alienate me which hurt a lot but eventually the realised it wasn't me because I had to leave halfway through the year and the food-stealing was continuing even after that, so eventually they knew it wasn't me. But I would have liked them to believe me without proof as it really hurt that they were pre-judging me when I'd done abosloutely nothing. I had no real friends because a real friend would believe me even without seeing I guess. They would have faith in you. But people are just too quick to pre-judge and make others feel bad. I guess it's a similar situation for you, as soon as they get the letter confirming that it was all just a huge mix-up they will know how wrong they were. BUt I doubt they will apologise, no one ever apologised to me. Its just most people in life are too quick to judge and be bitchy - particularly girls, I learnt that the hard way. I'm sorry but there's not much you can do here, I totally know how you feel as it would have been nicer if people believed in you without proof. That's just life I guess. Sorry not a very uplifting post but I can empathise

Gosh that sounds terrible. I'm sorry you had a rubbish first year. I can emphasise with the state school thing too - I am from a working class family and all my flat mates are middle class and although I don't think that made them less likely to believe me it did add to the drama of the situation. They couldn't understand why my parents couldn't just pay off the debt I "owed" to make the situation go away when my parents have very little extra income as I have four younger siblings.

Yes, I agree with the prejudging thing. I think one of them started to doubt my story and then they all kind of followed in a sort of herd mentality. It's just annoying because I perceive myself to be a very loyal, trustworthy person and I certainly haven't ever given them any reason to doubt my trustworthiness. I know my friends from my hometown would have believed me if this had happened there so I guess they're not my real friends.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time to write that.
Original post by Anonymous
Gosh that sounds terrible. I'm sorry you had a rubbish first year. I can emphasise with the state school thing too - I am from a working class family and all my flat mates are middle class and although I don't think that made them less likely to believe me it did add to the drama of the situation. They couldn't understand why my parents couldn't just pay off the debt I "owed" to make the situation go away when my parents have very little extra income as I have four younger siblings.

Yes, I agree with the prejudging thing. I think one of them started to doubt my story and then they all kind of followed in a sort of herd mentality. It's just annoying because I perceive myself to be a very loyal, trustworthy person and I certainly haven't ever given them any reason to doubt my trustworthiness. I know my friends from my hometown would have believed me if this had happened there so I guess they're not my real friends.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time to write that.

Thank you for your reply. Yeah. I try to be understanding and open-minded but I really cannot for the life of me understand people like that - so snooty and ready to judge. All I had done was be nice and welcoming to them but then they react like that. It definitely is a herd mentality thing as well. The girls on my block were all in some little clan and they literally all looked the same, like barbies. God I'm glad I don't go to that uni anymore. But people from any class can be hurtful I guess, it's just people being people. It's really hard to know who to rely on. Sorry for this outpouring lol I'm just in a pretty misanthropic mood today

I suppose you could try to mingle with people at societies and on your course to make new acquaintances
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending