AS Maths and Further Maths Unit Combination

Watch this thread
conorphysics
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

Does anyone know if the following unit combination is possible for the purposes of balancing out UMS (or marks)?

Maths: C1 C2 M3 - C3 C4 S1
Further Maths: F1 M1 M2 - F2 F3 S2

I am studying the CCEA specification but I am sure it would be the same for other exam boards also.

Many thanks,
Conor
Chlorophile
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by conorphysics)
Hello,

Does anyone know if the following unit combination is possible for the purposes of balancing out UMS (or marks)?

I am studying the CCEA specification but I am sure it would be the same for other exam boards also.

Many thanks,
Conor
I think so. As far as I know, the only requirements are C1-4 for Maths and FP1 + FP2 or FP3 for Further Maths.
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hello,

Many thanks,
Conor
CCEA might be different but this would be a "no" for Edexcel or AQA

i have checked CCEA (because some people were saying yes) and the answer is NO

They are the same as Edexcel and AQA your A level needs to have M1S1 OR M1M2 OR S1S4
Anon74
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I think you'd have to do C1 C2 S1 - C3 C4 M3 for Maths and your Further maths is fine
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anon74)
I think you'd have to do C1 C2 S1 - C3 C4 M3 for Maths and your Further maths is fine
That was what he said
Anon74
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
That was what he said
S1 and M3 are swapped
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
S1 and M3 are swapped
Not sure what you are saying

You listed the same 6 units for A Level maths as the OP did
Anon74
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
M3 cant be used in AS maths
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
M3 cant be used in AS maths
You know I was going to say "but the OP is asking about A Level"

Then I realised that his title does indeed say AS - so he is confused somehow

Anyway my point is - those 6 cannot be used as A Level maths no matter what order you put them in
CTArsenal
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
CCEA might be different but this would be a "no" for Edexcel or AQA

i have checked CCEA (because some people were saying yes) and the answer is NO

They are the same as Edexcel and AQA your A level needs to have M1S1 OR M1M2 OR S1S4
S4?

Hello,

Many thanks,
Conor
I'm pretty sure CCEA is the same as Edexcel in which modules can be put where.

Your Maths A2 has to include either one of these three combinations C1-4, S1, M1 / C1-4, S1-2 / C1-4, M1-2 (there's also the Decision Maths combinations in Edexcel but I don't think CCEA have those modules).
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CTArsenal)
S4?
Yes

I was surprised too but there are S1 and S4 only
CTArsenal
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes

I was surprised too but there are S1 and S4 only
http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...pers/index.asp

:confused:
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...2&v=0&q=28&d=d

I only look at their spec

pages 13, 15
CTArsenal
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...2&v=0&q=28&d=d

I only look at their spec

pages 13, 15
That's very odd, they say this:

NOTE: The Assessment Unit for Module S2 is designated S4
They even name the past papers 'A2 S4, Statistics 2'.
conorphysics
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks everyone for all the help. I am not that optimistic that it is possible but I have emailed CCEA and will have a definite answer after the 10th of September. Going for a remark in the meantime as I was just 1 UMS off an A in AS Further Maths!
(Just to clarify I have just completed ASs so the 'A2 year' choices where just to give a full picture.)
Many thanks,
Conor
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
So Unit S4 is to assess Module S2. Makes sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed