Turn on thread page Beta

Advice on my Driving Lesson progress watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i am confident with turns in the road and reversing round left hand corners after 13 lessons (hours), and pretty good all round with normal driving (lacking a little finesse such as occasionally straying over the centre line, or jerking the car a little when i step repeatedly on the accelerator).

I want to do the test as early as possible... but my instructor says that people normally take their 1st test after 30 hours, and that I still have quite a bit to do.

What do I still have to learn, how many hours will that take, and is my instructor ********ting about that length of time? if so, how can i persuade him to lessen the number of hours?
    I'd advise you to do some 'extra curricular' activities if possible. If you know someone with land and a 4 x 4 ...which I think you will ask them to practice. I started driving when I was about 12-13 on private land so only needed 5 lessons to learn the stuff you have to do to pass. I've always found driving is more about confidence. I think your instructor is BS if you are of a reasonable standard, remember, it is his pay packet.

ReputationRep:
    I found parallel parks really hard, was very glad when it didn't come up in my test! I'd wait a bit longer before booking your test, as you haven't yet covered some things. Your instructor is the professional, he knows best! Oh and I wouldn't say he's taking money unecessarily! There's one instructor around here that a couple of people in my year had, and she never told them when they were ready for a test or not. Most of them were learning for about a year before they took their first test. So be glad you have a better instructor than her!

ReputationRep:
    If you've only spent two lessons learning the manoevres, you still need some more practice! They can go absolutely right a few times, but you need to know how to do them on different types of road, uphill, downhill, tight corners, cambers, etc etc. This will improve your skill, obviously, but it will also make you a lot more confident in your test.

...not that you need to be more confident!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    However on my second test things were actually going pretty well until about 5 minutes before the end when I did something daft (which I knew was daft at the time but still did it) which caused me to fail.

what did u do? ive got my test in the nxt few days & im quite worried about it but my instructor has enough confidence in me to do well which is helping me out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i am confident with turns in the road and reversing round left hand corners after 13 lessons (hours), and pretty good all round with normal driving (lacking a little finesse such as occasionally straying over the centre line, or jerking the car a little when i step repeatedly on the accelerator).

I want to do the test as early as possible... but my instructor says that people normally take their 1st test after 30 hours, and that I still have quite a bit to do.

What do I still have to learn, how many hours will that take, and is my instructor ********ting about that length of time? if so, how can i persuade him to lessen the number of hours?
    I'm in the same boat as you. Currently I have my test booked in for early may. I have so far only done 8 lessons, and I have never driven a car before. I decided that 12 lessons would be sufficient, and my instructor said that I would be OK with that many lessons. The reason she told me that 12 lessons would be sufficient, is because I already possess a motorcycle license and have been riding for three years.

I asked the instructor why so many people take a lot of lessons, and to that she replied it was because most new drivers don't know the highway code, and haven't had any experience and therefore don't possess much road awarness. In this day and age you need eyes in the back of your head.

If you want to lessen the amount of lessons, just ask them, after all you are paying for it.
    As far as I am aware, the manouvers you have to be able to perform are:

Reversing into a corner.
    Reversing into a very tight corner.
    Parrallel (sp) parking.
    Emergency braking.

Anyway, I can't wait till the exam.
    Good luck.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sarah-James)
    what did u do? ive got my test in the nxt few days & im quite worried about it but my instructor has enough confidence in me to do well which is helping me out
    I was turning left on a roundabout and pulled out into a very narrow gap in the traffic at the same time as the bus next to me which was turning right.

Because the bus was turning right it got out of the next cars way quickly but the car decided to follow me down the left hand road (they were approaching from the right and so going straight on) and because I'd pulled off from a start they had to brake slightly.

I found visualisation really useful before the test that I passed - I went over in my mind the set of what to do at each stage (mirror, blind spot, indicate, clutch, first gear, pull out etc etc etc) imagining the entire test and how I would do things. Made it seem really straight forward to just follow the routines I'd imagined the next day.

Oh and mirror mirror mirror....and move your head when you look at them (flickering your eyes isn't something an examiner can pick up)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Oh and mirror mirror mirror....and move your head when you look at them (flickering your eyes isn't something an examiner can pick up)
    yeah my instructor was suggesting that I don't wear sunglasses if it's sunny when i take the test.... he/she'd probably fail me on the basis that my eyes can't be seen to be looking at the mirros

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    yeah my instructor was suggesting that I don't wear sunglasses if it's sunny when i take the test.... he/she'd probably fail me on the basis that my eyes can't be seen to be looking at the mirros
    if you are in a situation like that, the best thing to do would be to ask them if it is ok for you to wear sunglasses or not- then if they say yes u r fine..and if they say no then don't!! (i mean ask the examiner on your test)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    As far as I am aware, the manouvers you have to be able to perform are:

Reversing into a corner.
    Reversing into a very tight corner.
    Parrallel (sp) parking.
    Emergency braking.
    The four manouves are:

Turn the car in the road (ie. 3 point turn but it doesn't have to be 3 points, as long as you completely turn the car around using sensible road space and not hitting the kurb)
    Reversing left round a corner
    Reverse parallel park
    Reverse bay park (as in car park spaces)

Then there's the emergency stop, which is at the examiners discretion whether to ask you to perform it or not. According to my instructor, they ask arounf 1/3 of test candidates to do it.

Its up to your test centre how many manouvres they ask you to do. For example in Reading they never make you bay park, because the test centre car park is too small for people to be carrying out the manouvres in there. So you have to do 2 of the other 3 (I got reverse corner and turn in the road, which was on a hill), and then maybe an emergency stop (which I didn't get).

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.