The Student Room Group

C4 June 2014 Q5 (c) (i)

I lost loads of marks (25) on my C4 paper. I was curious to know where. It was tough and I didn't expect a good score.

I have asked for a copy of my paper and have it now. Indeed there were many arithmetic errors which I know I do a lot so I'm not too surprised at that.

However, one question asked "use the factor theorem to show that (2x -1) is a factor of 8x^3 - 4x + 1"

It was only one mark but I didn't get it and don't know why.

Below is a copy of my script.

What is missing from my answer? I'm not into having a remark, I'm just curious.

Also, do you see that little ^ sign that they've used? What does that mean as I seem to have accumulated several throughout the paper.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by maggiehodgson
I lost loads of marks (25) on my C4 paper. I was curious to know where. It was tough and I didn't expect a good score.

I have asked for a copy of my paper and have it now. Indeed there were many arithmetic errors which I know I do a lot so I'm not too surprised at that.

However, one question asked "use the factor theorem to show that (2x -1) is a factor of 8x^3 - 4x + 1"

Also, do you see that little ^ sign that they've used? What does that mean as I seem to have accumulated several throughout the paper.

Thanks

Are you able to also show us a scan of the question?
Original post by notnek
Are you able to also show us a scan of the question?

Yes, here it is
Yes, here it is

There is tick right there so I imagine that the ^ means "I gave the mark up there "
Original post by TenOfThem
There is tick right there so I imagine that the ^ means "I gave the mark up there "

Well, I don't think that's true because

5ai was worth 3 and I got 3

5aii ws worth 3 and I got 3

5bi was worth 2 and I got 2

5bii was worth 2 but I got none because I said root 1/2 was a 1/4 (see what I mean about arithmetic errors)

Then 5ci 0

5cii was 1 mark mark and that's what I got.

5ciii was worth 3 and I got 2 I suppose because I didn't justfy why I didn't consider the -ve version.

I'll send a scan if you like but I'm just off out.

At a glance, I cannot see what is wrong with that answer. I would have given the mark for sure, you definitely knew what you were doing. Maybe the examiner just confused two different questions? or maybe s/he just forgot to tick and count up?

Although, if I was to nitpick, I would say you MAY have lost the mark because you failed to define what f(x) actually was and went straight went on to saying f(1/2) = 0 so "8(1/2)^3 - ...". Mathematicians can very attention-to-detail in this way but I doubt an examiners marking exam papers really cares, but what do I know :/. I am just speculating here, but if this is the case, then it is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY harsh imo. you could always start everything with "let f(x) = ..." but I don't think its necessary specially on A level Maths but what do I know. I dunno I'm just trying to find a reason.
Anyway I hope I was able to help and good luck!
PS: it could also be you may have missed out a line between the third and the fourth. Something along the lines of "1 - 2 + 1 = 0", again very harsh imo. I don't know when the mark schemes are released officially, maybe I think they are already released and only teachers can get them. In that case, you could ask if you feel it's worth it and you're that curious.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by chemting
At a glance, I cannot see what is wrong with that answer. I would have given the mark for sure, you definitely knew what you were doing. Maybe the examiner just confused two different questions? or maybe s/he just forgot to tick and count up?

Although, if I was to nitpick, I would say you MAY have lost the mark because you failed to define what f(x) actually was and went straight went on to saying f(1/2) = 0 so "8(1/2)^3 - ...". Mathematicians can very attention-to-detail in this way but I doubt an examiners marking exam papers really cares, but what do I know :/. I am just speculating here, but if this is the case, then it is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY harsh imo. you could always start everything with "let f(x) = ..." but I don't think its necessary specially on A level Maths but what do I know. I dunno I'm just trying to find a reason.
Anyway I hope I was able to help and good luck!
PS: it could also be you may have missed out a line between the third and the fourth. Something along the lines of "1 - 2 + 1 = 0", again very harsh imo. I don't know when the mark schemes are released officially, maybe I think they are already released and only teachers can get them. In that case, you could ask if you feel it's worth it and you're that curious.

It's only a one mark question and the OP has done enough to get the mark - the third line alone would probably get the mark.

No examiner would take off a mark unless they made a mistake.

EDIT : On second thoughts...
(edited 9 years ago)
I am sending a scan of my entire question. Perhaps I have been awarded the point somewhere else but I can't see where. Like I said, I'm not in for a remark, my overall grade was 7ums off A* so there's no point in contesting, but I just wonder what I'm not doing that I should be doing.

And whilst I'm here. If t^2 = 9 the t = root 9 = +/- 3
But if t^2 = 2(x-1) then t = root (2(x-1)) and the +/- only comes in later.
In question 1 (b) it asked for A Cartesian equation but it looks as if because I didn't say t = +/- root (2(x-1)) that I've been docked a mark there too. Very harsh marking isn't it.
(edited 9 years ago)
also more uploads - I couldn't seem to do 2 at once
Reply 9

And whilst I'm here. If t^2 = 9 the t = root 9 = +/- 3
But if t^2 = 2(x-1) then t = root (2(x-1)) and the +/- only comes in later.
In question 1 (b) it asked for A Cartesian equation but it looks as if because I didn't say t = +/- root (2(x-1)) that I've been docked a mark there too. Very harsh marking isn't it.

We can take a look if you attach this question and your answer.

The part you wrote shown in bold above sounds wrong but maybe I'm misunderstanding you or need to see the question.
Original post by notnek
We can take a look if you attach this question and your answer.

The part you wrote shown in bold above sounds wrong but maybe I'm misunderstanding you or need to see the question.

Here it is all on one page
Original post by notnek
It's only a one mark question and the OP has done enough to get the mark - the third line alone would probably get the mark.

No examiner would take off a mark unless they made a mistake.

Yeah as I said most likely it is some sort of mistake, as I can't think of any real reason why that isn't worth the mark. I was just speculating in case for some reason it wasn't a mistake.
Reply 12
Here it is all on one page

You said the ±\pm comes later but you haven't included it anywhere in your working.

No extra information is given about t, x or y so you have to assume they can be positive or negative. Your final answer is only half of the curve if you were to draw it.

It's generally a good idea to avoid square roots if you can. If you squared y instead of square rooting t, you would have got

(y+1)2(x1)=8(y+1)^2(x-1)=8

which is correct and you wouldn't have had to worry about ±\pm.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Isn't that the remainder theorem you've used? (I'm not too sure only just done AS)
Reply 14
Original post by Anon74
Isn't that the remainder theorem you've used? (I'm not too sure only just done AS)

It's essentially the same, but since it's a factor the remainder must be zero. The remainder theorem is the more generalised version.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Krollo
It's essentially the same, but since it's a factor the remainder must be zero. The remainder theorem is the more generalised version.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok, thanks, my mistake
Reply 16

Thanks

The symbol ^ means there is an omission in your answer.
Most likely it is because you didn't fully show your anwser.
Usually if the answer is given you are supposed to show F(0) = 8(1/8) -4(1/2) +1 = 1 - 2 +1 = 2-2 = 0.

Its harsh to not give you the mark but the same thing happened on the Edexcel Board ' see here: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202012%20-%20MS/6667_01_rms_20120816.pdf

where as you can see Q1 (a) you had to show all the individual term evaluated to get the mark as it was a show that and i expect the same requirements from AQA as all exam boards are parallel in scrutiny.
Reply 17
Original post by Mr.cool
Usually if the answer is given you are supposed to show F(0) = 8(1/8) -4(1/2) +1 = 1 - 2 +1 = 2-2 = 0.

Its harsh to not give you the mark but the same thing happened on the Edexcel Board ' see here: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202012%20-%20MS/6667_01_rms_20120816.pdf

where as you can see Q1 (a) you had to show all the individual term evaluated to get the mark as it was a show that and i expect the same requirements from AQA as all exam boards are parallel in scrutiny.

I stand corrected. For 1 mark, surely it's the method that's important and not what you can do with your calculator.

Very harsh.

EDIT: The FP1 question was "Show that f(4)=0" and I can understand that you need to write a full answer for such a simple question. I'm not convinced for this C4 question though - it could still be a mistake.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr.cool

Good heavens. Harsh indeed. Considering calculators are allowed why would anyone work out the individual bits.

thanks for the info on question 1 it makes sense and I will remember that in future I hope.
Reply 19
Good heavens. Harsh indeed. Considering calculators are allowed why would anyone work out the individual bits.

thanks for the info on question 1 it makes sense and I will remember that in future I hope.

As my edit says above, your question was not the same as the FP1 question. I would've given the mark to you for your C4 question but maybe not if you did the same for the other question.

But yeah after looking at this, it's probably a good idea to always write your working in full for questions like these.

Quick Reply

Latest