The Student Room Group

GCSE science paper remark outcomes

Hi :smile: I was wondering if any of you ever had biology/chemistry/physics gcse papers remarked in year 11 after receiving your results, and how many people's grades actually went up. I myself am 3 UMS off an A* in gcse chemistry and have sent all 3 units to be remarked in the hope that I'll be able to pick up 2 or 3 raw marks across all 3 (and not lose any marks :tongue:). It is a big risk and if the grade doesn't change, I'll have lost £99, so I'm quite worried and really hoping for a few extra marks. If it helps, I feel like I performed much better in my unit 1 exam than the UMS reflected.

I'll be paying the £100 myself out of my pocket money, not bugging my parents, if that makes me look a little less crazy xD

so yeah, ultimately: if you did get science papers that were very close remarked, what was the outcome? How likely do you think it is in my case to get that A*? I'm doing A-level chemistry so I really do need this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tanyapotter
Hi :smile: I was wondering if any of you ever had biology/chemistry/physics gcse papers remarked in year 11 after receiving your results, and how many people's grades actually went up. I myself am 3 UMS off an A* in gcse chemistry and have sent all 3 units to be remarked in the hope that I'll be able to pick up 2 or 3 raw marks across all 3 (and not lose any marks :tongue:). It is a big risk and if the grade doesn't change, I'll have lost £99, so I'm quite worried and really hoping for a few extra marks. If it helps, I feel like I performed much better in my unit 1 exam than the UMS reflected.

I'll be paying the £100 myself out of my pocket money, not bugging my parents, if that makes me look a little less crazy xD

so yeah, ultimately: if you did get science papers that were very close remarked, what was the outcome? How likely do you think it is in my case to get that A*? I'm doing A-level chemistry so I really do need this.

Im pretty sure you get a refund if you go up
Original post by Incubator
Im pretty sure you get a refund if you go up

I know :redface: That's why I so desperately need this grade to go up
Reply 3
I myself am 3 UMS off an A* in gcse chemistry and have sent all 3 units to be remarked in the hope that I'll be able to pick up 2 or 3 raw marks across all 3 (and not lose any marks :tongue:).

That was probably a mistake. You'd have been better trying the unit you thought most likely to change and waiting for a result, then trying the next etc. It is:

Cheaper

less likely to cause the horrible scenario when 1 goes up and 1 goes down and you land up where you started.

Original post by Compost
That was probably a mistake. You'd have been better trying the unit you thought most likely to change and waiting for a result, then trying the next etc. It is:
Original post by Compost

Cheaper

less likely to cause the horrible scenario when 1 goes up and 1 goes down and you land up where you started.

I thought about that, but this is my situation:

I got an A* in all three units:

C1- 91 UMS
C2- 93 UMS
C3- 93 UMS

It's my bloody C4 coursework that was moderated to 80 UMS - a borderline A - which brought my whole grade down to an A. Since I can't get the coursework remarked (although I'm sure if I did I'd get an A* since I got 98 UMS for the Physics and Biology ISAs and they're practically the same exam so I couldn't have messed up this badly in Chemistry), I have to have the units remarked.

I really don't think that if I sent one unit off, it would gain the 3 UMS in one go and push my overall grade to an A*, so I'd definitely have to pay £33 then, and I'd have to keep doing it again and again until I got the 3 UMS ~IF~ it ever came to that, which may have meant many remark requests going over the £99 budget and it would have taken a long, long time.

so I've just taken a punt at this, as my exam admin advised me, and I'm so worried but it's all I can do. I just was wondering what the likelihood is in science for grades to ever change at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5

I thought about that, but this is my situation:

I got an A* in all three units:

C1- 91 UMS
C2- 93 UMS
C3- 93 UMS

It's my bloody C4 coursework that was moderated to 80 UMS - a borderline A - which brought my whole grade down to an A. Since I can't get the coursework remarked (although I'm sure if I did I'd get an A* since I got 98 UMS for the Physics and Biology ISAs and they're practically the same exam so I couldn't have messed up this badly in Chemistry), I have to have the units remarked.

I really don't think that if I sent one unit off, it would gain the 3 UMS in one go and push my overall grade to an A*, so I'd definitely have to pay £33 then, and I'd have to keep doing it again and again until I got the 3 UMS ~IF~ it ever came to that, which may have meant many remark requests going over the £99 budget and it would have taken a long, long time.

so I've just taken a punt at this, as my exam admin advised me, and I'm so worried but it's all I can do. I just was wondering what the likelihood is in science for grades to ever change at all.

I don't quite get your point about the cost - it would still have been a max of £99 (you can't pay for a second re-mark of the same paper).

We've had 4 GCSE Science re-marks back so far - up 3, down 1 and 2 with no change. But that's Edexcel.
Original post by Compost
I don't quite get your point about the cost - it would still have been a max of £99 (you can't pay for a second re-mark of the same paper).

We've had 4 GCSE Science re-marks back so far - up 3, down 1 and 2 with no change. But that's Edexcel.

oh! I was under the assumption that you can have a paper remarked twice. in that case, maybe what you said may have been a sensible thing to do. It would have taken a long time though, I suppose. oh well. all I can do is hope now.

With the option I've gone for, if at once my grade goes up, I won't have to pay any fee - let alone just £33 or £66, so rather than doing it one by one I suppose this may give me a slightly better chance.

I'm on AQA if that helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
oh! I was under the assumption that you can have a paper remarked twice. in that case, maybe what you said may have been a sensible thing to do. It would have taken a long time though, I suppose. oh well. all I can do is hope now.

With the option I've gone for, if at once my grade goes up, I won't have to pay any fee - let alone just £33 or £66, so rather than doing it one by one I suppose this may give me a slightly better chance.

I'm on AQA if that helps.

Hey, so if you don't mind answering, what happened in the end? I'm on the same page as you were last year and I'm not sure what to do
Original post by helloeveryone123
Hey, so if you don't mind answering, what happened in the end? I'm on the same page as you were last year and I'm not sure what to do

Hi! I had Geography and Chemistry remarked. Chemistry went up by 1 UMS but that wasn't enough for the A* :frown: But Geography went up by 18 and comfortably got me my A*!
Hi! I had Geography and Chemistry remarked. Chemistry went up by 1 UMS but that wasn't enough for the A* :frown: But Geography went up by 18 and comfortably got me my A*!

Oh right, thanks for the reply!! shame for the chemistry remark but congratulations for the geography remark! 18 is quite a lot!!

Quick Reply

Latest