Help Biology Questions Watch

RobertMichael
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've got an entry exam next week for biology for b2 and I'm still struggle with this topic. I never understood it or have any useful details in the textbook/revision guide. I just want someone to tell me the answers for the following questions , so at least I will remember them in case it will turn up.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...11/X41933A.pdf

It's the fifth question about Visking Tube.

Please don't answer if you are not pretty sure , last time I got a C for B2 and I really need to improve at least a B , to carry on my AS.
kingsophie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
5) i) As time increased, the concentration of the glucose in the distilled water also increased. For example, they both started at 0, and then as time got to 25 minutes, the concentration reached 0.79 g cm (-3).

ii) The results show that in the small intestine, partially digested carbohydrate will decrease... because the concentration of starch and glucose decreased in the experiment and thats what they represented.

iii)
The starch and glucose represents the partially digested carbohydrate inside the gut. The visking tubing is the gut wall. The glucose which is a product of digestion of starch is small enough to penetrate the visking tubing but the starch is a larger molecule and is left behind. Adding amylase from saliva for example to the starch would further digest it and the newly formed glucose would also go through. The outside of the visking represents the blood stream where the glucose goes. These are all very similar to the human body, however, it doesn't take into acount the exact size of the molecules or any catalysts that may speed up the reaction. Also, in some experiments, there may be an anomalous result which may vary the end result. This would not represent a true gut/ stomach.

b) c- stores bile

I hope this helped, the question iii) may need a bit more examples, but i have basically said the obvious ones...
good luck with getting your B
xxxx
RobertMichael
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for reply , but for part iii) you need to specify more structured details. As it says there is not completely the part of gut wall , so i need to include details about villi as well.I hope anyone will give me an easy explanation and straight to the point. I don't really want to messed up this if it turns up because it's very important for me to perform well otherwise i won't be able to achieve that B grade.
sciencestruggle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I really struggle with biology sometimes too and there is this great website called : Mygcsescience.com type it into google and it helps with everything honestly its great
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (138)
18.13%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (77)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (130)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.32%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.99%
How can I be the best version of myself? (231)
30.35%

Watched Threads