The Student Room Group

History or English Literature AS?

Okay just earlier today I said that I will study all three sciences with maths at AS. Now I'm not so sure! I'm definitely taking Maths, Biology and Chemistry and that leaves my last option. So, English Literature or History? Which one is more enjoyable? Which one more stressful?

If it helps, I am also trying for Oxbridge.

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Anybody? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Hi! I study both English Literature and History as two of my A-Levels, so I am well versed on the many trials involved in studying these subjects. :wink:

First and foremost it's important to mention that the two subjects share a lot of similarities anyway, largely due to the fact that they are entirely essay-based. As your focus appears to be on the STEM subjects, a strong essay subject will expand your skill-set and keep your writing skills up to snuff, but make sure first that you are willing and able to take on the heavy load involved in these examinations. They are not at all like the sciences or maths, as the marking of an essay can often be very subjective; there are no "right" or "wrong" answers. I know this may seem obvious, but I think it's important to stress this as studying English or History at A-Level is a massive jump from their respective GCSEs, and the marking of essays by both teachers and examiners can often be quite harsh.

Also, consider what you want to study at university first. It's all well and good to take on a 4th A-Level which is different a change of pace to your "main three", however some STEM courses at several universities may require additional subjects other than the one which you choose to study. For example, a lot of Mathematics courses at top unis require or strongly prefer you to have an A-Level in Further Maths. So research around first, decide what course you're aiming to take, and base your choices around that.

Right, now on to the subjects in question!

English Literature - as you might expect - will require you to be reading a lot, and not just the set text on which you are being examined. Your essays will often need to draw from critical analysis of the text you are studying, as well as other literature from the same time period. If you enjoy reading, this will be perfect for you as it gives you an excuse to explore new books and poetry on a much more challenging and enjoyable level than anything you will have read at GCSE. However, be warned, if you cannot keep up with this level of reading you will find English to be a massive struggle. This is not like previous years where you will be able to cruise through without ever having read your set novels or poems. You will not receive any form of the text during the exam, apart from poetry in which you will receive a copy of one poem directly related to the question. I know several people in my class that took up English and simply were not interested in reading neither the text itself nor the material around it, and so they found the year to be an absolute drag and flopped when it came to the exam. So the most important advice I can give for English is to simple read, read and read again. One of my AS teachers imparted some great wisdom onto us all when he said that it really doesn't matter how well you know essay structure, because the only way you're going to get an A in the exam is if you know the texts well and can write about them with confidence.

History, on the other hand, does not necessarily require such intensive extra-curricular reading as English does. Of course, it helps to have read around the periods you will be studying, but I find as a student of both subjects that History is much more fact-based than English. History A-Level essays require a lot - and I mean A LOT - of specific facts and figures. Things like "production of automobiles increased by X amount under Mao's China", or "the Nazi party received X amount of votes in the election of X year". Doing well in History ultimately comes down to knowing dates, statistics, persons of interest and in some cases the analysis of modern and contemporary historians. If you don't learn and revise these things, it doesn't matter how well you write, you simply will not achieve the top grades.

I absolutely adore both subjects, but I might have to say I enjoy English Lit slightly more. I think the essays are just more fun to write. :biggrin:

It'll vary depending on the school you're at and what exam board they use for each subject, but it's important to consider what in particular you will be made to study in either English or History. At my school, English AS was made up of one continuous exam (with two essays) on Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" and the poetry of W. B. Yeats, and two individual coursework essays: one comparing the works of Carol Ann Duffy and Angela Carter, and one analysing themes in James Joyce's "Dubliners". History AS was made up of two separate exams (each with two essays each), one on the reign of Henry VIII and one on both the civil rights movement in 1950s/60s America and Mao's China. Take your school's particular curriculum for each subject into account, as English and History are very broad subjects and you may find some topics absolutely enthralling while others will bore you out of your mind!

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, I can try and answer them. :smile:
Thanks for replying! Seriously :biggrin: and as I like to be creative and imaginative I think English literature will be the most enjoyable for me. Straight on facts become uninteresting after a while :tongue:
Plus I liked interpreting texts and poems in completely opposite ways to my teacher during school (which left her speechless) so I think I'll enjoy the open mindedness in lit. I also enjoy reading so it shouldn't be a huge problem!! Thanks again for the advice :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
History is not all straight on facts!! Yes you need specific evidence to back up your point but you've got to form arguments and come up with your own opinions and ideas and decide on your own conclusions about the topic- that's the challenging part.However, I study both and I would definitely say that in my opinion English is an easier and less time consuming subject than history so if your main focus is on the sciences (I also study biology and chemistry) I think English would compliment them better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks but I guess through my experience at history in school I found that learning facts gained more marks but I guess its different at A level. Anyway, I've made my decision plus English literature does have a touch of history incorporated in it anyway doesn't it?

Oh and I've always had that dream, in the back of my mind, of being a writer, so English literature and I should go hand in hand! :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by enaayrah
Thanks for replying! Seriously :biggrin: and as I like to be creative and imaginative I think English literature will be the most enjoyable for me. Straight on facts become uninteresting after a while :tongue:
Plus I liked interpreting texts and poems in a completely opposite ways to my teacher during school (which left her speechless) so I think I'll enjoy the open mindedness in lit. I also enjoy reading so it shouldn't be a huge problem!! Thanks again for the advice :smile:

No problem. :biggrin: Sounds like English will be perfect for you then. Some of my favourite and most intellectually stimulating conversations at Sixth Form have been in my English Lit classes! It's great, especially if you have a good teacher who will push everyone to express themselves in front of the class.

Original post by Pkez1234
History is not all straight on facts!! Yes you need specific evidence to back up your point but you've got to form arguments and come up with your own opinions and ideas and decide on your own conclusions about the topic- that's the challenging part.However, I study both and I would definitely say that in my opinion English is an easier and less time consuming subject than history so if your main focus is on the sciences (I also study biology and chemistry) I think English would compliment them better.

Hm, true. But the point I was trying to get across was that the facts were a crucial - though obviously not the sole - deciding factor when teachers/examiners mark your History essays. Whereas in English, you benefit more from a long-term and in depth understanding of your set texts instead of rote memorisation.

It is important to mention that you will need to do some memorisation in English though. You'll need to remember quotes from the novel you study, as well as from several poems. This comes a lot more naturally than you might think though, as if you regularly read and understand your texts then - as my favourite English teacher says - the quotes will simply "flow" from your mind on to the paper, since you will know the texts so well. :smile:
Reply 7
Yes also not sure if it's the same with all exam boards but I did aqa English lit and one of the main points you get marked on in both coursework and exams is the context surrounding the literature so you do have the historical influence there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest