The Student Room Group

SAT Format and Experimental Section?!

Can anyone please explain to me what the SAT format is and what the experimental section is and how to distinguish it from the others, would I be able to tell on the day which one it is.

Thanks.
Reply 2

So 2k11, in future I would prefer if you refrained from posting rather than reply with a tactless, overused meme. kthnx
Reply 3
But you know the answers now, right?
Reply 4
Original post by feyy
But you know the answers now, right?

Sorry for going off earlier, after doing more research now I have only two basic questions.

Do you know when the SAT changes are going to come into effect, I read that it will happen in Spring 2016, and I want to sit the paper to get 2400, not that it matters but I prefer the format. Does this mean the last chance to get a 2400 will be in January or May? I don't think March is available for international students.

And finally is there any way I can identify the experimental section. Like will there be 4 math sections or something. Obviously I will do my best at each section - but I just want to make sure I know everything I can about the paper.
Reply 5
First, have you taken a full SAT practice test under timed condition, as well as the ACT? What score are you at now? The SAT doesn't suit everybody.

You won't know which section is the experimental one. I wouldn't bother wasting time trying to figure it out either.

There is a year and a half of current SAT testing left which is plenty of time. You don't want to take it more than twice, anyway. So just focus on doing it ASAP. With diligent practice you should be.able to sit the November or December date this year.
Reply 6
Original post by feyy
First, have you taken a full SAT practice test under timed condition, as well as the ACT? What score are you at now? The SAT doesn't suit everybody.

You won't know which section is the experimental one. I wouldn't bother wasting time trying to figure it out either.

There is a year and a half of current SAT testing left which is plenty of time. You don't want to take it more than twice, anyway. So just focus on doing it ASAP. With diligent practice you should be.able to sit the November or December date this year.

Thanks, nope working through Grubers 2013 edition atm, have the past papers to do though.

Did the math sections of two different papers and got a 730 and a 780 in timed conditions without any prep - a little low for my liking however.

After going through the format CR I would say is my weaker area which I definitely intend to improve it.

I have only done practice tests in maths, okay yeah so I have now heard.

But the SAT format is 3 CR, 3 Writing and 3 Math sections. So the experimental section will be the one where there are 4 sections of one of the topics in, right?
Not that I'd be able to tell which one it is.

I want to sit it in December or January. Preferably Jan though - and I only intend to take it once due to cost, commuting to centre etc.

I have started prepping for it now though.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending