fiotwerty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
im doing my epq on biotechnology and my question is "is medical biotechnology the cure for common untreatable diseases?" im wondering whether 'common untreatable diseases' is too vague. should i specifically choose one disease? or should i say a group of diseases such as age related ones (i.e. sarcopenia/arthiritis/alzeihmers etc.) or since my conclusion wont actually be fact since i wont actually test it out to see if biotec is the cure should i change my question completely?
Marfyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think you need to change your question as lots of people in my group did questions based on futuristic ideas such as a using genetically modified malaria bug to eradicate the disease, or on conclusions that were purely opinionated like the fracking debate.
The way I initially went about mine was by picking a few things in different categories (mine was on transition healthcare) so I went for children with long-term head injuries, children with long-term genetic illnesses and children with long-term congenital defects and disorders. You could possibly do the same where you pick out a couple of common untreatable disorders that are very different from each other and focus on those.
I think it's fair to say that you should be willing to change to title. I struggled for way too long with mine before admitting defeat and changing my title only slightly, to accommodate available research and I then powered through and found myself writing nearly 3000 words over the requirements. Right now your idea seems solid, and it possibly is but the EPQ is a very fluid thing. The log you have to write up alongside your EPQ is there purely to record your plans, then everything you are successful in or fail in and have to change, and any reflections you make about your progress.
The only other thing I'd say is that your title sounds like it would be very difficult to get primary research. I had great difficulty in speaking to children in my areas due to confidentiality and child protection on data etc - my friend had to create a private online survey which she then trawled through literally hundreds of experts to send the link out only to receive less then 5 replies.
Sorry for dragging on, hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (164)
44.09%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
11.29%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.33%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (78)
20.97%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (35)
9.41%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise