KThanksBae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all,
I received my AS results and my grades were not bad, I want to study Primary education with QTS and was wondering how strict unis are about the entry requirements for this course. I'm not looking to enter the best unis. I'll be applying to unis in September 2014 and I know that I will have to pass the QTS numeracy and literacy test sometime next year. I was also wondering what else I will have to do before I start the course, eg I heard something about a history check or something.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jay018
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KThanksBae)
Hi all,
I received my AS results and my grades were not bad, I want to study Primary education with QTS and was wondering how strict unis are about the entry requirements for this course. I'm not looking to enter the best unis. I'll be applying to unis in September 2014 and I know that I will have to pass the QTS numeracy and literacy test sometime next year. I was also wondering what else I will have to do before I start the course, eg I heard something about a history check or something.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
First and foremost, you need 2 weeks at least of experience in a school environment as this will give you an idea on how teaching practices are done etc. But it depends on the uni about results for A levels, have a look round and find the best one for your results, (the UCAS course finder is very useful for this.) and yes you have the teaching tests to complete, these have to be passed to be able to obtain QTS but it doesnt matter if you fail, as you can resit, but if you do it will be 2 years or so until they can be resat. but with the DBS that i guess will be done when you get in, as you need one for working with children.

hope this helps
jay
KThanksBae
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jay018)
First and foremost, you need 2 weeks at least of experience in a school environment as this will give you an idea on how teaching practices are done etc. But it depends on the uni about results for A levels, have a look round and find the best one for your results, (the UCAS course finder is very useful for this.) and yes you have the teaching tests to complete, these have to be passed to be able to obtain QTS but it doesnt matter if you fail, as you can resit, but if you do it will be 2 years or so until they can be resat. but with the DBS that i guess will be done when you get in, as you need one for working with children.

hope this helps
jay
Thank you, and yes I have got 2 weeks work experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jams97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just out of curiosity what unis are you looking at

Posted from TSR Mobile
KThanksBae
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jams97)
Just out of curiosity what unis are you looking at

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm staying on London so I'll probably apply to middlesex, kingston and all those unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jams97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm staying on London so I'll probably apply to middlesex, kingston and all those unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah ok, whereas I don't want to be in london!

Posted from TSR Mobile
KThanksBae
Rep:
?
Ah ok, whereas I don't want to be in london!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha awesome xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jams97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha awesome xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
I live in london at the mo so a change would be nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jay018
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I live in london at the mo so a change would be nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im the same, wanting to move out of london and see something new for a few years XD
KThanksBae
Rep:
?
When are you guys applying for the Qts tests? I'm maybe thinking of taking them around January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jay018
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When are you guys applying for the Qts tests? I'm maybe thinking of taking them around January.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im planning on going to Plymouth so i guess there. but i thought that you did them when you started the course...?
KThanksBae
Rep:
?
Im planning on going to Plymouth so i guess there. but i thought that you did them when you started the course...?
Idk, maybe each uni has different requirements but most ask for you to pass before starting the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jams97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im the same, wanting to move out of london and see something new for a few years XD
Ooh where you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jams97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Idk, maybe each uni has different requirements but most ask for you to pass before starting the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's now a requirement to take the qts test before you start the course regardless of the university you apply to. I wanted them done before Christmas but I'm so busy before then I doubt I will manage to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jay018
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ooh where you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plymouth! where abouts are you planning on going to?
Jay018
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's now a requirement to take the qts test before you start the course regardless of the university you apply to. I wanted them done before Christmas but I'm so busy before then I doubt I will manage to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay, dont know when id like to get mine done by, guess it depends on how busy i am with college work and then see.
Jams97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Plymouth! where abouts are you planning on going to?
Umm I'm deciding between : derby, durham, canterbury, Manchester met, sheffield hallam and oxford brookes. What other ones do you have in mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jay018
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Umm I'm deciding between : derby, durham, canterbury, Manchester met, sheffield hallam and oxford brookes. What other ones do you have in mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure really, as others are in london (St Marys and Roehampton), but wouldnt want to be commuting, so i need to have a look for others.

EDIT: winchester is a maybe.
Jams97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not sure really, as others are in london (St Marys and Roehampton), but wouldnt want to be commuting, so i need to have a look for others.

EDIT: winchester is a maybe.
Roehampton is lovely! Had a look round a campus tour and fell in love ( just for me it's a shame it's in london). Kingston library is meant to be really good for primary ed if that's any help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jay018
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Roehampton is lovely! Had a look round a campus tour and fell in love ( just for me it's a shame it's in london). Kingston library is meant to be really good for primary ed if that's any help

Posted from TSR Mobile
I havent been, but heard its a nice uni, but i have the same issue as you, its in London. But i looked at a few you said and have given them consideration
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (673)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.23%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.54%

Watched Threads