Plumbing Watch

This discussion is closed.
unistudnet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
When water's going everywhere in your house at 3am, it's difficult to work out what the feck to do.
Turn the water off, if that dosn't work cap the supply off as a tempory measure then investigate in the morning. Then if you can't work out how to fix it thats when you phone the plumber.

We had a leak in the kicthen a few weeks ago, it turned out all it was is the compression joint on the stop valve for the washing machine supply had gone. It took me and my dad (both DIY idiots) half an hour to replace the valve. A plumber would have charged £100 for this.

I guess if people have money to burn then thats their business. The only time we have used a plumber in the last ten years was when he wanted our gas fire disconnected. We decided to live to a corgi registered person because of the dangers involved.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by unistudnet)
Turn the water off, if that dosn't work cap the supply off as a tempory measure then investigate in the morning. Then if you can't work out how to fix it thats when you phone the plumber.

We had a leak in the kicthen a few weeks ago, it turned out all it was is the compression joint on the stop valve for the washing machine supply had gone. It took me and my dad (both DIY idiots) half an hour to replace the valve. A plumber would have charged £100 for this.

I guess if people have money to burn then thats their business. The only time we have used a plumber in the last ten years was when he wanted our gas fire disconnected. We decided to live to a corgi registered person because of the dangers involved.

Ah well, most people'd be wetting themselves at the thought of touching the plumbing. Ahaha.
smokey636
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
If u listen to what im trying to say u might just understand what im saying. Your all basically saying plumbing is an easy job, and by getting a good wage of at least £25k a year that is not bad at all. I've never said u get £70k, what i said was after 10 years companies see that u have great experience and that is when u start to earn a bit more money.

And it sounds to me that some of u lot are ****ging of plumbing, well let me ask u this, if plumbing is such a crap job why r students at university quiting there courses to do plumbing? I'd rather be doing plumbing for a living than driving a bus, working in a supermarket. I live in London so the money is better anyway, rather than anywhere else.

Just imaging im only 16, i do a 4 year course, i pass it all and achieve a full certificate, i come out of college get a job and have £15-£18 in the bank, 3-5 years later £25-£30 in the bank, lovely jubbly.
unistudnet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maybe people don't like heights or don't want to being doing physical work all day. Maybe people would like to earn less for less hours. I have a joiner mate who goes on about how rich he is at 22, he hasn't got that much money and he works seven days a week and the tax man dosn't see it all.

I get paid £8 an hour for doing a nice easy job sat the computer. That may go up to £10 an hour when I start doing more complex stuff as well. Thats just a part time job as well.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (523)
91.59%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (48)
8.41%

Watched Threads