Dropping out of uni and doing a foundation degree? Watch

smallsvill123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm now finished with first year, and I'm thinking to drop out and therefore; not enter into second yr this academic year. I want to do a foundation degree in biology.

Would I get funded for my foundation course (it is one yr long) ?
Would I get funded for the next three years of my degree (presuming i'd pass my foundation degree, and then go on to say; doing a degree in bio that'll be three years)?

Thanks.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
Bit confused, do you mean a foundation degree or a foundation year? A foundation degree is a vocational course (usually studied at FE colleges) which can be topped up into degrees at a later stage. A foundation year is an introductory year for people without A levels/the right subject knowledge which leads onto a degree.

Everyone is entitled to loans which cover the full length of their course plus one extra year. You should aim to apply for a Biology degree that incorporates a foundation year rather than a foundation year on its own, that way you should be entitled to full student loans (but check with Student Finance to be sure).
TunaTunnel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You will get funded for your degree length + 1 year. The foundation year counts as that 1 year.
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TunaTunnel)
You will get funded for your degree length + 1 year. The foundation year counts as that 1 year.
Not necessarily. As I said, if the foundation year forms part of the course (e.g you apply for a BSc Biology with foundation year), that is a 4 year course, so the OP should be entitled to funding for all 4 years (he's already used up his extra year).
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why do you want to drop out?
What kind of grades were you getting?
smallsvill123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Samual)
Bit confused, do you mean a foundation degree or a foundation year? A foundation degree is a vocational course (usually studied at FE colleges) which can be topped up into degrees at a later stage. A foundation year is an introductory year for people without A levels/the right subject knowledge which leads onto a degree.

Everyone is entitled to loans which cover the full length of their course plus one extra year. You should aim to apply for a Biology degree that incorporates a foundation year rather than a foundation year on its own, that way you should be entitled to full student loans (but check with Student Finance to be sure).

Hey, sorry I meant a foundation year. It isn't a part of a four year degree i think. well it says on sites if i remember correctly, that if i pass the first foundation yr, then i can progress onto doing biology or some life science.

i heard from someone that you can only get loans from student finance for three years? guess that's not true then; is it? (i lived out for uni if that helps)
smallsvill123
Rep:
?
(Original post by hellodave5)
Why do you want to drop out?
What kind of grades were you getting?
I don't find my degree that interesting...Well I do sometimes, but a lot of the time its a huge effort for me to sit down and enjoy what I'm working on. So I'm thinking about going into bio as ive been wanting to do that for a long time, but never truly considered it because of my lack of science knowledge.

- I did terrible in first semester, but in second I actually did some work. I'm known for being academically lazy....Got into a good uni though to do politics. I was getting thirds (scrapping), and 2.2's but then in second semester I was getting 1sts and 2.1s only! - that's when I
smallsvill123
Rep:
?
(Original post by qwertyabcdef123)
There's no point. Just drop out and try to get a foothold in the job market as soon as possible. My personal recommendation would be pursuing a career in manual labour.
No. - There is a point..you don't know what my future plans are to say that there's no point. I don't think that's a very considerate recommendation you offered there!
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by smallsvill123)
Hey, sorry I meant a foundation year. It isn't a part of a four year degree i think. well it says on sites if i remember correctly, that if i pass the first foundation yr, then i can progress onto doing biology or some life science.

i heard from someone that you can only get loans from student finance for three years? guess that's not true then; is it? (i lived out for uni if that helps)
Nop, that's not true but you really should ask student finance for a definitive answer. If I were you, I would only do a foundation year in which you automatically progress into year 1 of the degree, if you have to apply again then you will have to self-fund a year of university.
ShannonS-J
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm now finished with first year, and I'm thinking to drop out and therefore; not enter into second yr this academic year. I want to do a foundation degree in biology.

Would I get funded for my foundation course (it is one yr long) ?
Would I get funded for the next three years of my degree (presuming i'd pass my foundation degree, and then go on to say; doing a degree in bio that'll be three years)?

Thanks.
I'm totally in the same position!!!
I'm looking at doing a foundation attached to a degree e.g Manchester do a life science foundation which you can then go onto any of their life science degrees if you pass but it's included as part of a four year degree so you should(I'm still yet to hear this from student finance but its what I've been told) get the full funding even though you've already done a year. I'm not so sure about a separate foundation, you might be better doing an access course as that would be cheaper.
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't find my degree that interesting...Well I do sometimes, but a lot of the time its a huge effort for me to sit down and enjoy what I'm working on. So I'm thinking about going into bio as ive been wanting to do that for a long time, but never truly considered it because of my lack of science knowledge.

- I did terrible in first semester, but in second I actually did some work. I'm known for being academically lazy....Got into a good uni though to do politics. I was getting thirds (scrapping), and 2.2's but then in second semester I was getting 1sts and 2.1s only! - that's when I
So at the moment you're doing politics? Second semester results show you can pull it off.
Lots of people are the same with the motivation... and any degree shows that you have lots of motivation to follow through on your intentions.

As its first year, you can change to something else. Though, I wouldn't go with a foundation year... just push yourself and go for the full thing straight off. First year results don't matter, so gives you time to go crazy on work rather than drinking (the more common first year endeavour :P).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
11.11%
Disagree (3)
8.33%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.78%
Agree (11)
30.56%
Strongly Agree (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads