Who's done GCSE psychology? Watch

Nadine_08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm going into year 11 in September and I was just wondering, anyone who has done the AQA GCSE psychology exams- how did you find it? What grade did you get? How and when did you start revising? Any tips for a top grade??
KieranH960
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did AQA GCSE and I got an A (was a couple marks short of an A* ). GCSE Pscyhology is just one massive memory test, if you can remember it and write it down, you get the marks. I found the exams fairly straightforward, they're early in the year and a breeze really.
Nadine_08
Rep:
?
(Original post by KieranH960)
I did AQA GCSE and I got an A (was a couple marks short of an A* ). GCSE Pscyhology is just one massive memory test, if you can remember it and write it down, you get the marks. I found the exams fairly straightforward, they're early in the year and a breeze really.
How did you revise for it?
KieranH960
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nadine_08)
How did you revise for it?
If Im honest i didnt that much, the way we were taught resulted in us leaving the classroom with it lodged in our head. I did a test paper or two before the exams and realised I was getting over 90% every time (like I said, its a memory test) so I focused on my other subjects. Aslong as you know the content you're fine.
Nadine_08
Rep:
?
(Original post by KieranH960)
If Im honest i didnt that much, the way we were taught resulted in us leaving the classroom with it lodged in our head. I did a test paper or two before the exams and realised I was getting over 90% every time (like I said, its a memory test) so I focused on my other subjects. Aslong as you know the content you're fine.
Thank you!
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did! I got an A* and I would definitely agree that it's a memory test. I revised for it by making notes and flashcards because I didn't find the text books very helpful. I think I can send my notes to you if you would like (but the PDF file messed up a bit because where I added screen shots of the specification, it got really fuzzy, but I put a link to where you can find the specification anyway). I started revising a couple of weeks before the exam, which I wouldn't recommend because there's quite a lot to learn if you don't remember what you've been taught in class.
Nadine_08
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurasaur)
I did! I got an A* and I would definitely agree that it's a memory test. I revised for it by making notes and flashcards because I didn't find the text books very helpful. I think I can send my notes to you if you would like (but the PDF file messed up a bit because where I added screen shots of the specification, it got really fuzzy, but I put a link to where you can find the specification anyway). I started revising a couple of weeks before the exam, which I wouldn't recommend because there's quite a lot to learn if you don't remember what you've been taught in class.
Thank you and congrats on the A*, you must have a really good memory! I would be really happy if you sent me your notes!!
Ruxy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did AQA gcse psychology got a C in it bad I know. I got an A in AS psychology and I'm going to be predicted A* next year so I guess AQA gcse psychology structure and specification was harder for me than AS. I also do WJEC psychology In my a levels so this is a difference as I'm not a big fan of AQA, I never liked it in any of the subjects (I do maths and biology AQA).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nadine_08
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruxy)
I did AQA gcse psychology got a C in it bad I know. I got an A in AS psychology and I'm going to be predicted A* next year so I guess AQA gcse psychology structure and specification was harder for me than AS. I also do WJEC psychology In my a levels so this is a difference as I'm not a big fan of AQA, I never liked it in any of the subjects (I do maths and biology AQA).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, getting an A at AS is a much greater achievement than getting an A* at GCSE. If you think you didn't do well at GCSE then why did you decide to take it for A-level?
AmyPilot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have just done my A levels so gcse's are a dim memory but I did AQA and got an A* and I have just had an A at A2 again with AQA. There is a lot of content in psychology but enjoying the subject and understanding it as you go along makes it worth it. For revision I used a flash card approach and lots of coloured highlighter all over my notes! Good luck - it's a really interesting subject.
Nadine_08
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmyPilot)
I have just done my A levels so gcse's are a dim memory but I did AQA and got an A* and I have just had an A at A2 again with AQA. There is a lot of content in psychology but enjoying the subject and understanding it as you go along makes it worth it. For revision I used a flash card approach and lots of coloured highlighter all over my notes! Good luck - it's a really interesting subject.
Thank you Which shop did you get your flashcards from?
Ruxy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, getting an A at AS is a much greater achievement than getting an A* at GCSE. If you think you didn't do well at GCSE then why did you decide to take it for A-level?
I think because I want to apply to medicine and it chose biology chemistry maths and as a 4th subject physics I'm terrible at it, English no way I would have failed that, further maths there wasn't a point getting it as unis don't consider maths and further maths 2 separate subjects, sociology I never done, I'm not good at languages, I guess I just gave psychology a second chance and I based my judgement on the fact that if I didn't enjoy it I could have dropped it any time in the first 3 weeks and choose something else. But I did enjoy it even if I had to learn 60 essays ( only recalled 52 in the end ) I wanted to drop it for A2 but because it's the only subject I can be predicted an A* in I will not drop it now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
AmyPilot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you Which shop did you get your flashcards from?
I made my own - but tsr is a good resource for such things on the study help section - I hadn't found this place at the time. Are you thinking of taking psychology further than gcse? At your age I wanted to do English at uni, then I started psychology and switched to that then when I went to college it all changed again.
Nadine_08
Rep:
?
(Original post by AmyPilot)
I made my own - but tsr is a good resource for such things on the study help section - I hadn't found this place at the time. Are you thinking of taking psychology further than gcse? At your age I wanted to do English at uni, then I started psychology and switched to that then when I went to college it all changed again.
I'm not sure if I want to take it further after GCSE but I'm considering it because I find it really interesting. And yeah, I guess making them is a better idea than buying them, although it would take time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (72)
7.74%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.8%