Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should leave the answering to people that don't know the answer then. Particualarly as you think its a waste of time. Personally I enjoy mind puzzles, and hadn't heard this one before.

ReputationRep:
    A Cricket Surprise
    The village cricket team was playing an important match, and a keen supporter offered a prize for the best bowling performance by a member of the team. The two star bowlers, Trundle and Bouncer, were keen contestants for the prize.

In the first innings, Trundle took 3 wickets for 17 runs, averaging 5.67 runs per wicket, and Bouncer took 7 wickets for 40 runs, averaging 5.71 runs per wicket. So Trundle was the better bowler in the first innings by a small margin.

In the second innings Trundle took 7 wickets for 110 runs, averaging 15.71 runs per wicket, and Bouncer took 3 wickets for 48 runs, averaging 16 runs per wicket. It was again very close, but Trundle was the better bowler in the second innings.

The prize for the best bowler was to be awarded on the combined figures, and everybody was surprised when the numbers were added up. Trundle had taken 10 wickets for 127 runs (an average of 12.7 runs per wicket), and Bouncer had taken 10 wickets for 88 runs (an average of 8.8 runs per wicket). Bouncer was clearly the better bowler overall, even though Trundle was by a small margin the better bowler on both the first and the second innings.

What has gone wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_b)
    Maybe you should leave the answering to people that don't know the answer then. Particualarly as you think its a waste of time. Personally I enjoy mind puzzles, and hadn't heard this one before.
    Then i doubt they will be answered, as people will only answer if they know it.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.