Jasminem97
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anybody have any experience with A/S OCR PE and Biology?? And wether they do actually compliment each other in terms of content if taken together?

I'm nervous about both because;
- For AS PE practicals I have been told it is really difficult to get top grades.. I'm planning on performing field hockey and coaching netball with my friend at our old secondary school...I do obviously want great grades but I'm just interested in everybody else's experience with the course grading and the difficulty of practicals.

-For Biology I have been told by most of the sixth form staff that is extremely hard and that the massive jump from GCSE to AS means that most students fail or drop at least a grade from their GCSE result.. If anybody has any experience with Biology AS and the difficulty & content it would be really great to hear them!
-also we never did practicals at GCSE Biology.. Just the chymosin controlled assessment which tested nothing other than my ability to explain ph level and particle collision theory in relation to reaction rate.
Because In GCSE my year didn't do practicals, at the AS biology induction none of us knew how to use a microscope and it was really embarasing, especially as other students knew exactly what they where doing.How demanding is AS biology for practical assessment?

I'm also really interested in other peoples experiences as because of my other subject choices, the block system for subject at sixth form may make me choose between PE & Biology
Thanks so much!
Yux
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What do you actually want to do in uni? Sport psychology?
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yux)
What do you actually want to do in uni? Sport psychology?
Sport Science, Nursing or Teaching
Yux
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I doubt you'll need physics (learnt at it AS and hate it) but AS maths might be useful in the future (its hard but its VERY useful)
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yux)
I doubt you'll need physics (learnt at it AS and hate it) but AS maths might be useful in the future (its hard but its VERY useful)
That's what sixth form told me! They said if I'm doing it for the pure purpose of "just enjoying the GCSE" I'm likely to begin to hate it!
I'm not sure if id be allowed to do AS maths, I literally scraped the B by a mark! I don't think id cope, getting that B took a lot of work!!
Yux
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you don't want to do maths, perhaps learning psychology is useful for sports science? Look at uni that you are considering and try to see if they have any requirements in any types of A-levels
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yux)
If you don't want to do maths, perhaps learning psychology is useful for sports science? Look at uni that you are considering and try to see if they have any requirements in any types of A-levels
Psychology is one of my subjects! I'm doing PE, Psychology, English literature and was struggling to decide between Business Studies & Biology!
I've looked at a lot of uni requirements but they differ so much, especially because I'm looking at doing such different career paths!

Thanks for all the help!
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
I may be able to take Human Biology at A/S instead of Biology! Would this be a good idea? I'm not sure how well it is regarded by Uni's and wether it is too similar too PE?

Thank you!
florabritannica
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hope this isn't too late for you to make a choice - most schools seem to allow switching in the first few weeks.

There is a belief that universities look down on Human Biology as lesser than Biology. I have a teen wanting to do human biology, and since I have a bit more time than her just now, I got the Russell Group admissions e-mails (thinking these are going to be the most traditional in their requirements, as generally older institutions) and asked them and a couple of other places that did courses she is interested in. So far:

York - no difference
Cambridge - no difference
Newcastle (including med school) - no difference
Bristol - no difference
Dundee - no difference
UCL - no difference

Six for six positively saying it's all the same to them - I think it is fine. They do say they only want to see ONE biology for a degree applicant - biology AND human biology are too similar and they would only count one of them. I don't know what is in A level PE, if you're still not sure I'd check out a few places with courses you want to apply to and ask them specifically via e-mail - they seem to respond within a week. Plus, York admissions told me, they keep your name on file in case you apply next year, so you can get a brownie point before you even start UCAS for being a thinking-ahead-taking-it-seriously sort of person.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads