sam_xox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Desperate for any experiences and tips! Thanks!
Alex347_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sam_xox)
Desperate for any experiences and tips! Thanks!
I got 99.5% UMS overall... But it is a very hard slog. Don't make the mistake I did, which was trying to learn everything in about 1.5 months. It was very hard work. I'd say you need to revise properly from the Easter holiday.

Also do not worry about historiography at AS. I didn't write a single historian's viewpoint in either of my two exams, and I dropped 1 mark between the two. Historiography is only needed at AS if the other elements of your response are not top notch.
sam_xox
Rep:
?
Is it really as boring as people make it out to be? And roughly how much work is set?
I'm considering doing it in September. Our exam board is Edexcel...Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
sam_xox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alex347_)
I got 99.5% UMS overall... But it is a very hard slog. Don't make the mistake I did, which was trying to learn everything in about 1.5 months. It was very hard work. I'd say you need to revise properly from the Easter holiday.

Also do not worry about historiography at AS. I didn't write a single historian's viewpoint in either of my two exams, and I dropped 1 mark between the two. Historiography is only needed at AS if the other elements of your response are not top notch.
Is it really as boring as people make it out to be? And roughly how much work is set?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Robertus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a matter of personal taste, really. See if you can find out what Units your school will be setting you. History is obviously a very broad subject, and you may find some of the periods that you study boring but others might peak your interest.
sam_xox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Robertus)
That's a matter of personal taste, really. See if you can find out what Units your school will be setting you. History is obviously a very broad subject, and you may find some of the periods that you study boring but others might peak your interest.
In AS it says we will be studying Russian in revolution ( from autocracy to dictatorship) and Stalins Russia alongside with Henry VII (authority, nation and religion).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Robertus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In AS it says we will be studying Russian in revolution ( from autocracy to dictatorship) and Stalins Russia alongside with Henry VII (authority, nation and religion).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, I did the Henry VIII unit alongside Mao's China + American Civil Rights. Perhaps have a read around some of the material first and see if it intrigues you.
sam_xox
Rep:
?
Thanks! Did you find the Henry VII unit interesting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Robertus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks! Did you find the Henry VII unit interesting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It varied, really! A lot of the stuff about the reformation tended to get a bit dry at points... But overall its an interesting enough period to study. I think most people at my school find it much preferable to the China/America units.
sam_xox
Rep:
?
It varied, really! A lot of the stuff about the reformation tended to get a bit dry at points... But overall its an interesting enough period to study. I think most people at my school find it much preferable to the China/America units.
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I learnt everything in like two nights! :rofl: needless to say, I didn't get an A.

(Not too far off mind, 1 mark)

Thought this was in Year 11, so no lessons
Alex347_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
I learnt everything in like two nights! :rofl: needless to say, I didn't get an A.

(Not too far off mind, 1 mark)

Thought this was in Year 11, so no lessons

Lol, it's a bit easier to do that at GCSE than AS Level. I was talking about AS.
Alex347_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Our entire AS course was about the Reformation! So dull.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lol, it's a bit easier to do that at GCSE than AS Level. I was talking about AS.
So am I...
Alex347_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So am I...

Your post wasn't quite clear. You referenced year 11, so I thought you meant at GCSE.
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your post wasn't quite clear. You referenced year 11, so I thought you meant at GCSE.
Yes, I was in Year 11.

I did my GCSE in like Year 9 :lol: so long ago
Alex347_
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, I was in Year 11.

I did my GCSE in like Year 9 :lol: so long ago
Fair enough.
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I'm finding the prepatory reading boring, will I find the whole course boring? Our topics are Gandhi and the Reformation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (126)
43%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.36%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (117)
39.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.71%

Watched Threads