The Student Room Group

AS History help!

Desperate for any experiences and tips! Thanks!
Original post by sam_xox
Desperate for any experiences and tips! Thanks!

I got 99.5% UMS overall... But it is a very hard slog. Don't make the mistake I did, which was trying to learn everything in about 1.5 months. It was very hard work. I'd say you need to revise properly from the Easter holiday.

Also do not worry about historiography at AS. I didn't write a single historian's viewpoint in either of my two exams, and I dropped 1 mark between the two. Historiography is only needed at AS if the other elements of your response are not top notch.
Reply 2
Is it really as boring as people make it out to be? And roughly how much work is set?
I'm considering doing it in September. Our exam board is Edexcel...Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Alex347_
I got 99.5% UMS overall... But it is a very hard slog. Don't make the mistake I did, which was trying to learn everything in about 1.5 months. It was very hard work. I'd say you need to revise properly from the Easter holiday.

Also do not worry about historiography at AS. I didn't write a single historian's viewpoint in either of my two exams, and I dropped 1 mark between the two. Historiography is only needed at AS if the other elements of your response are not top notch.

Is it really as boring as people make it out to be? And roughly how much work is set?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by sam_xox

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a matter of personal taste, really. See if you can find out what Units your school will be setting you. History is obviously a very broad subject, and you may find some of the periods that you study boring but others might peak your interest.
Reply 5
Original post by Robertus
That's a matter of personal taste, really. See if you can find out what Units your school will be setting you. History is obviously a very broad subject, and you may find some of the periods that you study boring but others might peak your interest.

In AS it says we will be studying Russian in revolution ( from autocracy to dictatorship) and Stalins Russia alongside with Henry VII (authority, nation and religion).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by sam_xox
In AS it says we will be studying Russian in revolution ( from autocracy to dictatorship) and Stalins Russia alongside with Henry VII (authority, nation and religion).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I did the Henry VIII unit alongside Mao's China + American Civil Rights. Perhaps have a read around some of the material first and see if it intrigues you. :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks! Did you find the Henry VII unit interesting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by sam_xox
Thanks! Did you find the Henry VII unit interesting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It varied, really! A lot of the stuff about the reformation tended to get a bit dry at points... But overall its an interesting enough period to study. I think most people at my school find it much preferable to the China/America units. :smile:
Reply 9
It varied, really! A lot of the stuff about the reformation tended to get a bit dry at points... But overall its an interesting enough period to study. I think most people at my school find it much preferable to the China/America units. :smile:

Thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I learnt everything in like two nights! :rofl: needless to say, I didn't get an A.

(Not too far off mind, 1 mark)

Thought this was in Year 11, so no lessons
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I learnt everything in like two nights! :rofl: needless to say, I didn't get an A.

(Not too far off mind, 1 mark)

Thought this was in Year 11, so no lessons

Lol, it's a bit easier to do that at GCSE than AS Level. I was talking about AS.

Our entire AS course was about the Reformation! So dull.
Lol, it's a bit easier to do that at GCSE than AS Level. I was talking about AS.

So am I...
So am I...

Your post wasn't quite clear. You referenced year 11, so I thought you meant at GCSE.
Your post wasn't quite clear. You referenced year 11, so I thought you meant at GCSE.

Yes, I was in Year 11.

I did my GCSE in like Year 9 :lol: so long ago
Yes, I was in Year 11.

I did my GCSE in like Year 9 :lol: so long ago

Fair enough.
If I'm finding the prepatory reading boring, will I find the whole course boring? Our topics are Gandhi and the Reformation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply