Anyone here get full-time IB offer with no IB internship?

Watch
WSL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello all.

Out of curiosity, did anyone at all on this forum happen to get a full-time offer at an investment bank despite not having an IB internship beforehand?

We all realise the importance of having an internship, since it seems as though chances of securing a graduate position are otherwise next to nil.

But I did recently read an article written by a current analyst at GS who claimed this was somewhat a "myth" (remember: his words, not mine). Not only did he get in without a previous internship, but he was also a music student at university. So his degree was a very unconventional choice. I will link this article as soon as I find it again.

This has led me to wonder whether there are any other students like him. And if so, I'd like to know what they did to strengthen their applications to overcome this "disadvantage".

Many thanks in advance.

Edit: Found the article (http://thegatewayonline.com/investme...nce-no-problem)
KLL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can't say I'm one of them, but know plenty of them at my bank.
What they all had in common though was, something unusual to make hem outstanding (army engineer), a willingness to take a step down (Big4 experience willing to start as a 1st year or MBA level education willing to start as an analyst) or highly relevant experience / knowledge from a relevant sector (chemistry phd, work experience in the sector).
Family connections, doing sport on an olympic level, concert pianist etc can also do the trick
WSL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by KLL)
Can't say I'm one of them, but know plenty of them at my bank.
What they all had in common though was, something unusual to make hem outstanding (army engineer), a willingness to take a step down (Big4 experience willing to start as a 1st year or MBA level education willing to start as an analyst) or highly relevant experience / knowledge from a relevant sector (chemistry phd, work experience in the sector).
Family connections, doing sport on an olympic level, concert pianist etc can also do the trick
Thank you for your reply. Would you mind me asking which bank this is? You don't have to tell me of course -- or you could just PM me at this point. I really want to look into banks that are potentially more willing to accept no-IB-internship candidates since I'm in this position myself. I have worked in consulting/corporate finance -- just not in IB.
KLL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by WSL)
Thank you for your reply. Would you mind me asking which bank this is? You don't have to tell me of course -- or you could just PM me at this point. I really want to look into banks that are potentially more willing to accept no-IB-internship candidates since I'm in this position myself. I have worked in consulting/corporate finance -- just not in IB.
Will PM you.
I tihnk tier 2/3 banks are generally more open to non-traditional backgorunds as many don't really fully particicipate in that insight day / spring week / summer internship nonsense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads